Quality of Balsamic Vinegar

Jun 11th, 2001, 05:31 AM
DJ

Quality of Balsamic Vinegar

The question on quality of olive oil has prompted me to ask about Balsamic Vinegar. As I'll be going to Italy this fall, but not travelling to Modena, what experience's can travel veterans to Italy provide on their experiences with Balsamic Vinegars? Thank you for your insights.

Jun 11th, 2001, 08:49 AM
Ruth

We wanted to get some old balsamico on our trip in 1998 but the shops were closed in Modena when we were there. Found some in Rome, but it was the only bottle they had in this store. So it may not be too easy to find the really good stuff away from the Modena area.

Jun 11th, 2001, 05:19 PM
Bob

All I can say is that the bottle we purchased for $20 that I thought was expensive in Italy is $70 in the United States. Shop the stores here for brands and you will know what you are dealing with when you are looking over there.

Jun 11th, 2001, 07:12 PM
debbie

Aceto Balsamico as it is called is traditionally made in Modena. I am an importer and bring it in from Modena. I am sure you can buy Modena made B.V. outside just look for the, "MO" on the doc label and not NA (Naples) or anyplace else. However, easiest bought in and around Modena.

B.V. is an aged vinegar using Trebbiano grapes. Longer aging = better vinegar. Two year old is standard but 4 is better and my preference. A 10 year is double the price and I see no discernible difference. I did have the opportunity to try an 80 year old version that was very syrupy, not to my taste but loved to the folks who have lived with B.V. all their lives. I use it exclusively as cannot swallow red wine vinegar any longer. It is too acidic and way too strong. B.V. is smooth and what a taste it imparts on food! I also import olive oils. Happy searching.

Jun 12th, 2001, 06:03 AM
DJ

Debbie,

Thank you for the information. Sounds like you have a great job.

Jun 18th, 2001, 10:36 AM
DJ

Any other input?