Quaint Scottish Town in Winter?

Apr 12th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Quaint Scottish Town in Winter?

My husband and I are in our mid-thirties, adventurous, and pretty active. We're travelling to Scotland from December 28th until the 2nd. We're staying in Edinburgh from the 30th till we depart and through lots of help from replies to my last posting we've arranged our Edinburgh lodgings over the holiday.

We still have 2 nights (the 28th and 29th of Dec) left to plan. We'd really like to find a town within a 2 hour drive or bus or train ride from Edinburgh that has fun pubs, a nice inn, cool shops (wool/tweed) and where things will be open in the winter. Essentially, we want a flavor of non-urban Scotland. We're flexible about our transportation in getting to and from this destination from Edinburgh and our open to anything.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Apr 12th, 2007, 01:00 PM

Well - that is a sort of difficult time. Lots of B&Bs are closed outright. And winter weather can really cut back on the types of exploring you might be able to do.

So instead of recommending some remote place up in the Highlands - I'd think about closer-in areas.

Callander is about an hour from Edinburgh and is a big enough town to have something open over the holidays - but still just a big village/small town.

Or St Andrews - lovely town w/ lots to see in the area and not that far from Edinburgh. Nearby fishing villages, beaches, shops etc. Again a large enough place to have some places open.

Or, someplace in the Borders south of Edinburgh. Near Peebles/Galasheils/Melrose. The Border abbeys and some decent small towns.
Apr 12th, 2007, 01:08 PM

St Andrews would be swell - fitting all your criteria and a nice seaside location. Probably can even tee it up in winter! But a neat old town.
Apr 13th, 2007, 04:06 AM

Peebles.
Apr 13th, 2007, 05:56 AM
DDA

Another vote for St Andrews.