Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Quaint beach town near Ravenna? Not Rimini!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to train from Venice to Ravenna, stay in Ravenna for two or so days and then were hoping to find a nice little beach town to relax on before we make our way to Florence. Anyone have any ideas? Have heard not so great things about Rimini. We will train to the beach town, then train to Florence. We do not plan to rent a car until after our time in Florence.

Thanks!!
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:02 AM
DRJ

Cesenatico (sp?). On the Adriatic and Marcella Hazan's home town.
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:04 AM

I little further south, I enjoyed my recent visit to Pesaro. (It's also easy to daytrip to Urbino from Pesaro.)
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

ohhh these both look great. Though I think I am leaning toward Cesenatico because it is smaller...less tourists, more locals.
Old May 21st, 2009, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

The more research I have done on Cesenatico and Cervia the less I'm liking them. They seem like mini Miami Beaches to me. Iwas really hoping for a sleepy little fishing village as opposed to a beach full of high rises. Does this even exist near Ravenna?
Any one have any other recommendations? :}
Old May 21st, 2009, 03:09 PM

You are on the wrong coast for that unless you go south to Puglia.
Old May 21st, 2009, 03:26 PM

Bob is right -- well, almost right. You don't have to go quite that far south, but you need to get to the bottom of Le Marche.

Would it help if I told you that the small port of Cesanatico was designed by Leonardo da Vinci? It also has restaurants that people sing about (including Michelin).

You also might reconsider Rimini if you think about submitting yourself to the forces that shaped Federico Fellini.

Look at the Marche Voyager website and see if anything appeals to you.
Old May 21st, 2009, 03:26 PM

Here's the link to beaches:

http://www.le-marche.com/Marche/html/beaches.htm
Old May 21st, 2009, 03:31 PM

This might help to for descriptions of the riviera del conero area

http://www.deliciousitaly.com/visual...&regione_id=10
Old May 21st, 2009, 03:40 PM

This video of Sirolo is so sweet and charming and over the top you should see it (it's got a soundtrack)

http://www.fabiofava.it/conero/sirolo/sirolo.htm

I've never been, but it wouldn't be a day hop from Ravenna. And I think the video was probably shot at 6am on a winter's day! I'm sure it's usually a tad more crowded.
Old May 21st, 2009, 03:50 PM

Or if you are hugely motivated, it would take you about 4 hours to get to the beaches of Tuscany (around Camaiore, Versillia, etc), where you won't see high rises, but no fishing boats either and lots of beach chairs. That would be about 5 hours to Monegila or Cinque Terre. (That's compared with about 3 hours to the furthest points south of Le Marche.)

Were it me, I'd just go have a blast in Rimini.
Old May 21st, 2009, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your help zeppole and bob. I will check out all the links you posted and rethink where we should go. I'll probably be back with more questions so don't go away.
Old May 24th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Zeppole - ahhhh, the video link you sent is incredible. I wanted to crawl through my computer and onto one of the beaches!!

Thank you for your recommendations Zeppole, but I really don't want to take 4 hours to get to the type of beach destination that I was hoping to find. I'd rather just hop on a train and be at the beach in a short bit...so that is why I am thinking either San Mauro Mare, Cesenatico or Cervia for our beach stay. San Mauro Mare is my first choice, but I am having a difficult time finding accommodations. Seems like everyone is booked for our dates July 15-18 or they really don't want an American family staying in their establishment!!
Old May 25th, 2009, 01:08 PM

They are probably booked. Italian proprietors usually very much enjoy American clients because when Americans say they are booking for only two people, or whatever, -- that's all that shows up! Italians often book a room, and bring a lot more people -- or so goes the lore of hotel and landlords I have spoken, too.

I think you are right to want to have a short trip there. Cesanatico would be my pick because the port is designed by da Vinci. However, I don't know the other places.