Qs for Prague 6 day visit in Dec

Oct 17th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Qs for Prague 6 day visit in Dec

I'm travelling solo (female, mid50s) to Prague early in Dec - my first visit! Staying at Hotel U Karlova Mostu (Na Kampe 15) which seems like a great location ... should I worry about walking around in the evening (returning from restaurants -Christmas Markets - shopping - theater)? I hope to take a bus tour to Cesky Krumlov for one day - is it a good idea to book ahead or wait until I arrive? (site checked guidingprague.com) Also, I've checked the ticketsonline.cz site for theater tickets (ballet/opera) - again, is it better to wait until I arrive, or purchase on line now? Since I love seeing performances in historic/grand theaters, if I had to pick two venues - National Th/State Opera/Estates Th - which two are recommended? Thanks for any inpute!
Oct 17th, 2006, 02:40 PM

hi janetd5
noted your holiday to Prague and would suggest you include a visit to the Mucha Museum (www.mucha.cz)- metro Mustek. The museum only opened after my holiday to Czech but I am looking forward to viewing its contents and the 30-minute documentary upon my return. I gather their gift shop is also wonderful for those of us buying gifts. Happy holiday!!
Oct 18th, 2006, 12:48 PM

Fear not - I walk around Prague alone at all hours, and have always been fine. Just carry a map with you, in case you get lost in a winding street area.

All of the theaters you mentioned are awesome. What is playing at that time? If you can see a ballet, I'd recommend it. The operas often have Czech or German subtitles. Unless you know the story well, you might be lost. However, the State Theater is so beautiful, you might want to see a production just to be inside. There are also concerts at the lovely St Nicholas church in Mala Strana. That would be a neat place for you to see. (it's the church with the big dome in the center of the square - Malostranska Namesti) Church concerts are usually purchased at the door. Others in halls depend on how many tix they've sold, so far. Maybe pre-book for a popular production, especially if it is only playing a few nights.

A bus to Cesky should be possible to book when you get there. Maybe your hotel can pre-book it, if you let them know. That town probably gets crowded around the holidays, but I still think you can catch a mini-bus tour.
Oct 18th, 2006, 01:34 PM

I think you definitely should reserve tickets for a specific ballet or opera performance, as those often are sold out in Prague. Is there some reason why you would wait until you got there? I don't see the point if you know you want to go and when.

As for the day tour -- I'm not sure how booked those get, I think you could probably wait and book it a day or two before. I know you could for many other tours, but those to CK are limited and only once a week for some companies, as I recall. But, I don't think I had any problem booking mine a couple days ahead, and that was in May. You might want to see if you really want to do that, perhaps, or the weather, I suppose. The castle is closed there in winter, you know (from November).

You shouldn't have any problem worrying about returning to your hotel in the evening at that location.
Oct 18th, 2006, 03:40 PM

There are many tours to Cesky Krumlov - you can certainly wait until you get there and look at the different companies (hotel should have tons of info on tis). Pick a nice, dry day.

However, if you are going to see an opera or orchestra, then book as soon as you see a performance that interest you. The locals eat classical music up and the best perfomances regularly sell out.

I would see what is playing, by who (including dirsector), and when rather the venue. They are all nice.
Oct 18th, 2006, 04:23 PM

You'll love Prague. I was there in Nov and enjoyed walking through autumn leaves on Kampa Island one afternoon. Had a great (inexpensive) personal guide who'd been recommended: Nina Jelinkova. She calles it "Friendly Walks," and I think she has a website now. Don't have time to look it up for you or I would.
Oct 19th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies and helpful info! Koaljay: Mucha Museum is definitely on my must do list! Amp322: needed the evening walk-about reassurance - thanks! I will see about a concert at St. N in Mala Strana - it sounds like another must do. As you, Christina and Bardo1 mention, to avoid disappointment (since one on-line site already showed limited available tickets), I've prebooked to all three theaters: ballets Nutcracker (Nat'l)and Midsummers Night Dream (State Opera); and the opera, Don Giovanni (Estates). I will wait until I'm in Prague before arranging the Cesky Krumlov tour - in case weather is a factor. Logan69 - thanks for the referral for Nina. I've found her website, and fired off an e-mail to see if she's available for a day. To all - thanks again - I feel much more comfortable about this solo adventure!
Oct 19th, 2006, 02:11 PM

Sounds perfect! Wish I was going with you. I wonder if that is the "special" Don Giovanni performance for Mozart's 250th birthday year. I've seen the ho-hum tourist version @ Estates 3 times, but there is supposed to be a special run in the main season this year of a new version. Anyway - ENJOY!!
Oct 20th, 2006, 03:13 AM

I was in Prague last November, and enjoyed seeing this lovely city.
One thing I would recommend doing that I thought was very special:
A 2-3 hour tour of Josevof section, but with WITTMAN TOURS.
Here are the details I remember:

No reservations were needed beforehand, but I believe at 10:00am most days(not Saturday though!) directly in front of the INTERCONTINENTAL HOTEL in Prague there is a small square where the Guide from Wittman Tours arrives and sells the tickets for the tour of the Josevof area(The Prague Jewish Ghetto section of the city) The day we went for the tour we were fortunate as we(there were 4 of us ) were the only ones waiting for the tour, so we had basically a "Private tour" with the guide. Our guide was fantastic. She gave us information that was so fascinating all 4 of us were thrilled we took this walking tour.
This area was actually quite beautiful and charming.
We had stayed at the Hotel Josef which was super. It was very safe and easy to walk around all of Prague.
It will be an easy city to navigate and travel "solo" in.

The area around Charles Bridge is a "little seedy" at certain times, especially when it gets very crowed.

But, if you are cautious and just "pay attention" while walking in that area it is no different then any other large city.

Enjoy Prague.
Oct 20th, 2006, 04:27 AM

I was alone in Prgue last December and I really liked the city. I had an issue with at the train station.

The only thing I would add is that the city is a little confusing and i admit getting lost at least three times.

Search this Thread