Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Qestion on Lake Como to Milan airport drive

May 2nd, 2007, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

I am in the process of booking a flight from Milan to London. How much time should we allow for driving to airport from Bellagio, checking in rental car and gate? First time to Milan, thanks
May 2nd, 2007, 10:35 AM

The answer really depends on the season and time of day. Last July, leaving at 6 AM, we arrived a little before 8AM. So just under two hours for the drive. However, on the way to Bellagio from Malpensa in the middle of a July afternoon, this same drive took us almost 3 hours with LOTS of traffic.
May 2nd, 2007, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, it is going to be on July 1st. Just yesterday decided to rent a car in Milan for trip to Lake Como. Oh my I just realized that we will be arriving and renting car from train station in Milan, coming from Switzerland. And here I thought I almost had all these kinks worked out. I guess I am back to some searches. Fist thing I need to do is decide on the car rental so I can find out if there is a drop off charge for train/airport. Thanks again
May 2nd, 2007, 11:06 AM

You do not want to drive in downtown Milan--maybe not drive at all.
May 3rd, 2007, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

There are so many different views on the driving not driving in Italy. We will be coming from the OB, is there another point that we should rent the car to have it in Bellagio. I just think with us staying at the Belvedere, where there is parking, and perhaps driving to border towns that it would be a plus. As soon as I work out this, I am calling BETS to make my train tickets.
May 3rd, 2007, 09:52 AM

Suggest you take a train from Milan to Como,then the ferry to Bellagio. You can probably rent a car in Como or Bellagio the morning after you arrive ,drop it there the night before you depart, and arrange for a chauffered car to take you to the airport in the morning. Your hotel can do this for you.

You will find this much easier than a car pick up in Milan and hurried drop off at Malpensa.

The departure train station in Milan for Como I think may be different than the one at which you arrive. But, no big deal ,the other station is only about a 10 minute cab ride.

My wife and I did it this way a few years ago and it worked out beautifully.

We stayed at the hotel Fierenze in Bellagio , right in town and on the lake, and thought it a better choice tha The Belvedere.
May 3rd, 2007, 09:59 AM

You may not find a car that useful in Bellagio. Many narrow roads etc.

The various ferries can take you to other lake towns more easily

GT
May 3rd, 2007, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

thank you, I will contact our hotel, being picked up is probably the best choice. Don't need stress on departure day.
May 3rd, 2007, 11:18 AM

If you are coming from Switzerland you don't necessarily have to go all the way to Milan to get to Bellagio and/or to rent a car in the lake area.

tell us more particulars about that arrival from Switzerland.
May 3rd, 2007, 11:28 AM

I strongly recommend against a car for Bellagio in July. The streets are extremely narrow, there is tons of traffic, pedestrians walking along the lake side of the road, and very limited parking other than what you'll have at The Belevedere. In other words, a logistical nightmare. I would suggest using the ferry to get to other towns along the lake- so much simpler and so much less stress!
May 3rd, 2007, 11:40 AM

Jelane,

Look at the answers on your other thread.

For the mid-lake area, and especially for only a couple of days, you do not need a car IMO
May 3rd, 2007, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Okay that is it.......No car for us.....but I am probably going to be upset when I don't get to see Lugano. I need to learn to relax more. I have just got some schedules for our arrival in the Lake Como area. We are arriving from OB and I have made some reservations on hold for the train because one way is to come from Bern to Milan and the other is Lucern to Como, I have been told that the Bern to Milan is a beautiful train trip, just want to make sure that being on the other side of this route is as beautiful. Any comments on this. With the expense of the train, I will probably be happy to exchange the rental for a nice dinner with a great Italian wine. Thanks everyone for all your help. I am just the train tickets and the flight from Milan to London in having this planned and done...
May 3rd, 2007, 01:22 PM

I agree no car on the Bellagio peninsula. But we took the train from Milan to Varenna and then the ferry to Bellagio.

You can do Lugano by bus from Menaggio (having taken the ferry from Bellagio to Menaggio).
May 3rd, 2007, 01:35 PM

It sounds like you have already made your decision, but I'll add my two cents for what they're worth:

I was in the area last week on my honeymoon, and we rented a car at Malpensa and drove to Varenna, where we stayed. As others have pointed out, you certainly don't NEED a car in the area, but it does give you opportunities for side trips, such as Lugano, as you mentioned (we didn't get there due to time constraints, but I think it might have been a nice trip). There are also several villas along the lakeshore that would be tough to see without a car.

We didn't have any trouble parking in Varenna, and though we didn't use the car when just going to Bellagio or Menaggio, it was nice to have. We drove down to Como one day to shop for clothes (Alitalia lost our luggage for 48 hours), and the drive down the western lakeshore was quite nice.

That being said, two words of warning: 1) Make sure you check the ferry timetables carefully, as we were almost stuck with our car on the west side of the lake when the last ferry from Menaggio was surprisingly three hours earlier than the last ferry from Bellagio had been the night before. And most importantly, I would strongly advise against driving the road from Como to Bellagio (along the eastern shore of the SW fork of the lake)-- it is extremely narrow, and a VERY difficult drive (I'm not too squeamish about driving on tight European roads, but this was some of the most dangerous I've seen). Rather, take the road up the western side of the lake-- or better yet, the autostrada up the eastern side-- and ferry across to Bellagio. Believe me, it will save you headache!

Hope this helps. Have a great time, as it is a fantastic area!

PS The drive from Malpensa to Varenna took us about two and a quarter hours on a Monday morning.
May 3rd, 2007, 01:50 PM

We just returned from the lake district. We had 2 days before an early flight from Milan to Paris.

We traveled to Malpensia airport by bus and had an absolutely fabulous and very reasonable B&B in the quaint town of Casorate. We have stayed in hundreds of B&B's but nothing could top this place!

Our accomodation was a suite in a lovely old family home with beautiful gardens.

The owners Carlos and Anna were just delightful. They went out of their way to be helpful and show us a good time ... and even drove us to the airport at 4 am!

From here we trained up for a daytrip to explore the lovely lakeside towns (Arona, Stresa etc.) on Lake Maggiore, and it was a super day.

Website for the B&B is www.icastagni-bb.it in case yu are interested.