Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Q for Italian Speakers--How to ask for low sodium

Old Apr 19th, 2005, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband & I are leaving for 2 weeks in Italy soon and he has to eat a low sodium diet for health reasons. That's a challenge eating out in any country, but more difficult when you don't speak the language (I have the rudimentary, necessary Italian phrases).

Can the Italian speakers help us with a few phrases? I'd like to be able to say (or give the waiter a note)something like "my husband has to eat low sodium food," or "he cannot eat food that has salt added," "can you ask the chef not to put salt on the [fill in the blank]," "can you recommend something that is made without much salt?"

Obviously, he's going to try to order things that are low sodium and not heavily sauced but it would be great if we could communicate the low sodium situation in Italian.

I also would like to be able to say, "too much salt makes him sick."

Any other phrases you think might be useful would also be great.

Thanks to anyone and everyone who can help.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 07:05 AM

Will an average intake of sodium for two weeks do THAT much harm? I've never heard of such an ailment. Are you and your husband incapable of identifying high-sodium foods and avoiding them? Lay's Potato Chips is not a part of the Italian diet.

It seems to me a minor discussion with your husband's doctor and some research on Italian food ingredients will be far more beneficial than trying to come up with literal translations to unnecessary explanations that could cause much mayhem and confusion.

I think the simple phrase, "Senza sale, per favore," while you point your finger at your husband, will save you much embarrassment, especially if you stick to low-sodium choices in the first place.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 08:10 AM
rex

I was hesitant to reply to a similar question just last week, which asked for advice on following a very low sodium diet, which has some unique requirements, and is only required in some fairly specific circumstances.

Dietary sodium intake issues fall into any of several categories - - while I am a physician (not of adult patients), I am certainly not qualified to give specific advice (no physician would be, on an internet forum web site, without more specific medical history details).

But I am guessing that there ARE internists or clinical dieticians here on this forum, with specific expertise in both Italian cuisine and language - - and with a little bit of private (off-forum) communication, you could establish what are the realistic goals and communications tips for accomplishing that.

A key is going to be setting appropriate plans for what general "classes" of foods to select. While it might be possible to prepare a "reduced sodium" version of fettucine alla carbonara, it certainly still would not be LOW sodium - - a half cup of it might be a maximum permitted serving of it, and eat nothing but fresh fruit all day the rest of the day.

A frank discussion with someone who has the requisite dual "background" education - - and some back-and-forth communication about what currently works when you try eating out in your own home town - - is what you need, in my opinion.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 08:30 AM
J62

Here's the similar thread from last week to which Rex was referring

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...name=J62&fid=2
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

NYCFoodSnob,

The disease is Meniere's disease, which is an inner ear ailment and causes severe dizziness and general ill-feeling. Yes, two weeks of an average intake of salt will cause a lot of trouble, even a few days of it. When it first struck, we made 2 trips to the emergency room as the dizziness was so severe. We eat a very low sodium diet, which certainly does not include Lays or any other kind of potato chips.

We intend to stick to low salt types of foods but often things like grilled fish or meat have salt put on them during the cooking process and we'd like to be able to avoid that.

Rex, I appreciate your advice. We do know what kinds of foods have salt in them, bread and pasta, for example. I don't anticipate asking for a low sodium type of a particular dish, such as amatriciana, but am looking for some phrases that would help us communicate that we don't want additional salt added or try to identify a dish in a restaurant that might not be loaded with salt that we'd be unaware of.

I thought that being able to tell the waiter that too much salt causes sickness might make them take the request more seriously.

The phrase, senza sale, should be helpful, as I assume it means without salt.

Rex, I will do a search for the earlier post that you mentioned.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 09:15 AM

"Yes, two weeks of an average intake of salt will cause a lot of trouble, even a few days of it."

Ruth, I meant no disrespect by offering my common sense reply. If your concerns are based on factual fears and, if this were my husband, I wouldn't be eating in Italian restaurants in Italy. I doubt anyone can guarantee you the low-sodium content you're looking for (Italians love their salt) even if you have expert command of the local language. Ordering food in any foreign restaurant will eventually come down to trust. I'm not inclined to gamble (or test fate) when health concerns truly matter.

In your case, an apartment rental with a kitchen would seem the appropriate course of protection. It's the only way for you to have total and safe control over your husband's sodium intake.

Good luck. I wish you and your husband a safe and healthy trip.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

As a matter of fact, we have rented an apartment for our last 6 nights in Rome in order to be able to control the sodium to some extent. But one of the primary joys of travel for us is to eat. Eating a lot of sodium will not kill my husband but can make him very miserable for days. While he's willing to endure some discomfort in the interest of tasty food, we want to minimize it to the extent reasonably possible. My husband is the cook and is very knowledgeable about food, so he has a pretty good idea of what will be high v. low sodium. But he'd like to be able to simply bring the issue to the attention of a restaurant so as to avoid the symptoms as much as possible.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 10:54 AM

RuthMc......I thought this was my posting. My husband and I are also going to Italy in June and posted a similar question re low sodium. He is also a meniere's guy. Please email me!!!!

([email protected]) Connie
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 12:32 PM
rex

Connie... Indeed, it was your post that I was hesitant to answer - - and I wondered if it was Meniere's that prompted your question - - since there are few other conditions for which adherence to a very low sodium diet is (potentially) very important, particularly in an acute time frame.

As I indicated above, I have no actual experience giving dietary advice to any adult, and from what I have read, this is no ordinary challenge to eat out and stay within the dietary limits your husband requires. I have to think that these are strategies you already know:

* when eating out, take total control of the other two meals for that day, since you can make them ZERO sodium by buying judiciously at markets or grocery stores.

* focus on grilled meats, poultry, fish - - as these are hard to add "disguised" salt

* don't be bashful about asking for vegetables grilled or steamed, even when you see them on the menu offered in other way; good kitchens will honor such special requests. Unfortunately, a good old-fashioned (zero sodium) baked potato will not typically be offered in Italy.

* salads are a refuge, of course, and you can count on oil and vinegar to be salt-free, pretty much in every country

* although there is non-stop raving about enjoying gelato (every day?) in Italy, the sorbet or "granita" choices are good as well. Italians also do great poached pear dishes (in red wine, for example) - - and surely there couldn't be much sodium in one or two little cantuccini in vin santo, after dinner - - a treat I can never resist.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 01:27 PM

We Menieres' people are well aware of what to eat and what not to eat. I guess the questions is more on how responsive Italians are to special diets.Here in the US, it's pretty good.Would it be easy to talk with the cook? What about buying groceries? I know fresh fruits and veggies--even meat to prepare in our apt. Do they adhere to nutritional labels at all on canned/boxed foods??
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 01:42 PM
rex

I was afraid that would come across wrong (that's why I said "I have to think that these are strategies you already know") - - not so much telling you how to plan meals - - as to how to plan learning the language you need. I think it will be much more effective to concentrate on (learning the language of) things that you know will be safe to order... rather than the language of "must not contain this, must not contain that (since it's not just salt, but milk, cheeses, stock, etc)".

But anyway, I think that yes, there will be the usual and customary willingness to make your needs known (or talk directly) to the cook - - and yes, nutritional labels will generally provide the same information you have come to expect here in the US.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 03:02 PM

"Would it be easy to talk with the cook?"

I would say no but it depends on many factors. Chances are you won't find many chefs who speak English.

"What about buying groceries?"

Products do have labels but, typically, no English. You'll need to know the Italian word for the ingredient you're trying to avoid.

Specialty food stores (meat, veggies, cheese, bread, etc.) cater mostly to locals. English can be very difficult to come by, even in Rome.

"I think it will be much more effective to concentrate on (learning the language of) things that you know will be safe to order... rather than the language of "must not contain this, must not contain that (since it's not just salt, but milk, cheeses, stock, etc)"."

Rex offered the best advice with this statement. Getting the negative across in Italian has its challenges and can be easily misinterpreted. Plus, busy Italian trattoria are not set up to accommodate foreigners with dietary restrictions. Imagine a Japanese woman (who speaks no English or Italian) trying to explain her husband's need for no salt to you.

"Senza sale" does mean "without salt." Your waiter should be able to understand what you mean when you say those simple words, especially if you look him in the eye and gently stress the "per favore." If you go armed with a list of dishes that fall into the safe category, better yet.

"But one of the primary joys of travel for us is to eat."

Feeling healthy is worth far more than any fabulous meal I've ever had, and I love good food. In deference to the current health considerations, maybe it's time to accept eating as a secondary joy.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 10:41 PM

I was interested in this post when I read it yesterday, and I talked to my italian husband about it today. i was wondering the same thing--will Italian restaurants be responsive to the needs of someone on a low sodium diet?

My husband thinks they will. Of course it depends on where you go--a place that's packed at one in the afternoon where you try to order a low sodium meal might be a bit of a problem--but you should be able to find restaurants that are sensitive to the needs of a low sodium diet. Besides, there are people in Italy who are on low sodium diets as well, and I am sure they don't get booted out of every restaurant they walk into.

Anyway, here's some stuff you can say to make sure that the cook understands (or the waiter can tell the cook) that your husband cannot eat much salt.

this one is if you want them to know that he has a disease that makes it not possible for him to eat a lot of salt (this might be the case if you are worried that "senza sale" will make it look like you are just picky and your concerns might not be taken as seriously as they should be):

Il mio marito ha una patologia che non puo' mangiare sale.

roughly translated: My husband has a condition that doesn't allow him to eat salt.

or simpler:
il mio marito non puo' mangiare sale.

My husband cannot eat salt.

Or you could just say:

Niente sale sul cibo, per favore

No salt on the food, please.

sale is roughly pronounced like these two words put together: Saw-lay

Anyway, I hope that your two weeks in Italy go well! I think it's doable--lots of vegetables and meat dishes can be prepared without salt here, and of course things like salad come without dressings already added, so you can add what you want. Good luck! If you need any other phrases, let us know!
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 05:47 AM

Hi RuthMc, I was glad to see Jackie give the Italian translation to help you keep your husband healthy.

I read here on Fodors sometime back that when one has a dietery restriction it is a good idea to write out the restriction on an index card, several cards in fact. Then take these cards to Kinki's and have them laminated.

When at a restaurant hand the card to the waiter and also ask him to kindly show it to the chef.

Several cards are a good idea of course in case one or two get lost in the shuffle of a busy restaurant.

I would think that getting to a restaurant a tad after they open, before they get real busy would help your situation.

The best of luck to you two. Wishing both of you a happy and healthy time in beautiful Italy.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much to everyone who provided helpful responses. As Anavert said, Meniere's folks are generally very aware of what types of food are good and which are bad. I was looking for phrases so I could convey the need for no or little salk without insulting anyone by making them think we wouldn't like their cooking.

Jackie, thanks a lot for the phrases. I am going to write them on several cards as LoveItaly suggested and give them to waiters when appropriate. Could you also tell me how best to ask, "could you recommend a dish (or something)that does not have much salt?"

J62, thanks for the link to the thread. I couldn't find it but will take a look now.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 11:06 AM
KT

"Il mio marito ha una patologia che non puo' mangiare sale."

Ummm...that means "My husband has a disease that cannot eat salt."
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 11:10 AM
KT

Sorry, posted too early. Meant to add, I think the poster intended to say "e" (and) not "che" (that).
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 11:29 AM

Glad you caught that KT.

salt free diet = dieta iposodica (dee-etta ee-po-so-dee-cah)

Mi può raccomandare un piatto fatto senza sale o almeno fatto con poco sale?

Could you recommend a dish made without salt or at least made with little salt?

La sale mi fa male.

Salt makes me ill.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 12:15 PM

Why not "senza sale, per favore"? However, it might offend the cook! They really don't salt their dishes like we do here in America, but rather add herbs and flavorings to the individual dishes. I don't anticipate your husband having a problem there.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 04:27 PM

Hi Huitres, just read your post about Italians not using as much salt as people seem to do in the US. That has always been my impression and thought. I do not like a lot of salt.

But I have known people to complain about food in Italy being to salty? I never argue about it of course but it sure confuses me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -