Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Purse shopping in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/purse-shopping-in-paris-497878/)

parisnow Jan 24th, 2005 01:35 AM

Purse shopping in Paris

I will be traveling to Paris in March. I am looking for stores that sell quality handbags that are not readily sold in the USA (example: La Bagagerie, Lamarthe, Lancel). Does anyone know of unique specialty handbag stores?

moldyhotelsaregross Jan 24th, 2005 03:36 AM

I know in Paris that there is a Lancel store at the same intersection as the Opera. It is on a prominent corner with large lettering on the building.

If you don't see what you have in mind, ask. They pulled a purse out of the stockroom for me that was not yet on display.

I'm unsure of the other brands, but don't discount what Galleries Lafayette has to offer. Their quantity of designer brands surprised me. I had "American department store" offerings stuck in my mind.

Would you post back and tell me any new favorite shops you find?

parisnow Jan 24th, 2005 04:36 AM

Moldyhotel: I've been to Paris about two dozen times. I am familiar with all the name brand stores and Department stores. I've been to the Lancel near Opera. I have found the best stores in Paris are the small ones that you just stumble upon on the not so touristy streets. I am writing to see if anyone has stumbled upon some real gems. I was never a purse person until I went to Paris. As far as new favorite shops, La Bagagerie on the left bank Rue De Rennes is one of my all time favorites. It is alot larger than the one near Madeline. I also found some of the best discount shopping is at La Vallee Village, one RER stop before you hit Disneyland Paris. It is a designer outlet mall with some great finds if you don't mind last seasons merchandise.

dln Jan 24th, 2005 05:21 AM

Parisnow, I brought three handbags home from the Paris January sales, so I know where you're coming from! You might want to check out the Lamarthe boutique on Rue Bonaparte, just down the street from St. Sulpice. It's a nice little shop and the sales help is very pleasant. Another place is in the Marais. It's Keslord, at 13 Rue de Sevigne near the corner of Rue de Jarent. Happy shopping!

grandmere Jan 24th, 2005 06:52 AM

Is Herve Chapelier still "in"? I know he is widely available in big cities like NYC, but here in Pgh. one little shop carries a very limited supply.

I love his nylon canvas bags for casual use. Great shop on rue de Vieux Colombier. I've spent too many hours there trying to make up my mind as to style and color. www.herve-chapelier.com

Spygirl Jan 24th, 2005 07:23 AM

This is a very interesting and informative thread. Handbags are really "hot" right now-and I have in mind what it is I want- a particular shade of darker green, fake-croco handbag of certain proportions/dimensions-I've seen a couple -one, at Ann Taylor which was quite nice-yet, I would like to go to Paris and see what they have -since they do handbags there so well. La Bagagerie sounds like a good place to go-Parisnow.

I might add, I just got back from Hong Kong-they were willing to make me a handbag-with fake or real croco in a lovely shade of dark green-but you know what? I don't care what people say, the custom made bags in Hong Kong look like crap. They really do. Give me Parisian/Italian style any day! (although the European design houses may well have their particular handbags made there!)

Tulips Jan 24th, 2005 07:39 AM

Do you know Jamin Puech? Really lovely bags; they have a store in Paris, 61 Rue d'Hauteville. You can see the bags at www.net-a-porter.
I also like Longchamps; they do some very practical nylon bags that you can fold into a small package, and also have an interesting range in fabric right now; kind of like patchwork.

cigalechanta Jan 24th, 2005 07:52 AM

Jamin-Puech!!!!! Be still my heart.
There leather crotched bag are beautiful, pricey but beautiful. I'd love one some day.

cigalechanta Jan 24th, 2005 07:55 AM

their!!! but parisnow, the French Brands you will find here are often not the same selection as you'll findin Paris. Same with clothes. Each boutique here have different selections so that I may not like the line in one store but will buy from another buyer's collection.

Guenmai Jan 24th, 2005 09:34 AM

Karine Dupont on the rue Cherche Midi in the 7th...metro Sevres Babylone and Un Apres Midi de Chien on rue Etienne Marcel...near metro Etienne Marcel. These are my favorite two handbag designers...especially Karine Dupont.Happy Travels!

Tulips Jan 24th, 2005 09:54 AM

Cigalechanta; there are two Jamin Puech bags in the sale at net-a-porter.com.

cigalechanta Jan 24th, 2005 10:12 AM

thanks tulips, but the two are evening bags and too fou, fou. The ones I like are crocheted leather with the lining showing in another color.

jlsayre Jan 24th, 2005 10:40 AM

Not being a purse connoisseur, I have noticed Lancel purse at TJMaxx in the past few months. And a beautiful Nichol Miller purse just today. What about Mandarin Duck that was what I thought I would buy in March when I was there. Are they found state side?

grandmere Jan 24th, 2005 10:45 AM

Guenmai, I am so happy to know where to find Un Apres-Midi. . . ; in what arr. is rue Etienne Marcel?

Will look for the other, also. Thank you!

grandmere Jan 24th, 2005 10:46 AM

Another question, Guenmai: are there websites for Karine and Un Apres. . .?

cigalechanta Jan 24th, 2005 10:51 AM

here's a few midi chien on sale
http://www.revolveclothing.com/productpages/DB-WY10.jsp

grandmere Jan 24th, 2005 10:57 AM

Thank you, Mimi. Do you know where Jamin Pueche can be bought (or at least looked at!) in Paris?

Fodorite018 Jan 24th, 2005 11:44 AM

I have a Mandarina Duck purse that I bought several years ago that I love! I have not seen them stateside, but you never know. I also have several Coccinelle's that I adore, and I believe there is a store in Paris.

Guenmai Jan 24th, 2005 11:49 AM

Grandmere...Yes, they both have websites. Karine Dupont's is jus karinedupont.com. As for Un-Apes-de Chien's I don't remember the website. The store for un apes-midi-de-chien would probably be in the 1st since the closest metro is Etienne Marcel. I don't have the address on me right now. If I have time, I'll try to look it up at home later. Happy Travels!

cigalechanta Jan 24th, 2005 11:56 AM

grandmere, tulips has the same address that I have. See her post above.