Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Purse or hidden money bag? Advice for student staying in Madrid for a year

May 22nd, 2001, 09:09 AM
Lissette

Hello,
I'm a college student who'll be studying in Madrid next year(the whole academic year), and I was wondering if anyone could give me advice as to whether I should wear a money belt under my clothes for the entire stay or carry a purse. I've heard that Madrid can be a pretty dangerous city as far as muggings are concerned, but at the same time, I'm sure the local women don't wear hidden pouches under their clothes, and I should try to blend in as much as possible, right? What do you guys think?
thanks,
Lissette

May 22nd, 2001, 10:00 AM
Oaktown Traveler

Lissette:

We spent some really wonderful days in Madrid and I know that these boards give experience and examples of "crime" in Madrid. Not our experience in the least. That said I would suggest that you carry your money/id in your backpack/purse. I could not imagine as a student that you would need to have all or most of your annual funds on your person daily.

Happy Studies
Oaktown

May 22nd, 2001, 10:21 AM
Lissette

Thanks oaktown.
Lissette

May 22nd, 2001, 11:11 AM
janice

Dear Lissette,
You're not going to want to use a hidden pouch for a year. Once you've been there a couple of days, you'll get a better sense of what neighborhoods are more shady, what kind of body language deters theft etc. and you of course won't be carrying all your worldly goods on you at any time.
I live in New York and Chicago, and I know that visitors to both cities often wear hidden money belts etc. - I think because they're not accustomed to being here (or there) and they don't feel as secure. Once you get the hang of the city, you'll be fine. Just be smart (which, if you're studying in Madrid for a year, we're going to assume that you are!) Take care of yourself and have fun!

May 23rd, 2001, 10:11 AM
Lissette

Janice:
I've been studying in New York for the past 2 years so I know what you mean. I never wear a hidden money belt in NY, so I guess I should exercise at least as much caution as I would in New York when I'm in Madrid, huh?
thanks,
Lissette

May 23rd, 2001, 11:31 AM
Caitlin

Lissette, I think of it like this: Madrid is going to be your home for a year. First, would you wear a money belt all the time at home? (Duh, you don't, and you live in New York.) Second, if you're going to live anywhere for a year, you're going to want to be comfortable there; before long, you will learn where to go and not go and where you feel comfortable and don't, and you'll stick to where you can feel comfortable living a normal life, which means carrying a purse, not a money belt. Third, why do people carry money belts? Will those reasons apply to you? People carry money belts so they can put difficult-to-replace (passport, plane tix, credit cards) or valuable (wads of cash) in a safe place while on a vacation, and they wear them because they will be tourists doing touristy things, and they know tourists are targets for pickpockets. None of those things apply to you, because you'll only be carrying everyday things and amounts of cash, while the rest is locked up at home or in the bank; you won't be touristy things; and, after a little while, you're sure to resemble a local in the eyes of other locals more than a tourist. I don't mind money belts, etc. on vacation--it means I don't have to wory about things--but the idea of wearing one regularly and not being comfy in my "home" environment sure is miserable! (BTW, I too, live in NYC, and it's not hard to be both comfotable and carefyl, IMO.)

May 24th, 2001, 09:44 AM
Lissette

Thanks, Caitlin.