Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Puligny-Montrachet and other great white wines (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/puligny-montrachet-and-other-great-white-wines-185836/)

Fine Wino Mar 30th, 2002 10:20 AM

Puligny-Montrachet and other great white wines

Was introduced to some fabulous French wines (I prefer white) - thanks to our local Trader Joe's store where the cost is around $35-50 for a fabulous Puligny Montrachet, Chassagne Montrachet. Can anyone provide comparable costs in France? Will I save much money buying my favorites abroad and 'schlepping' them back to California?

Mike Mar 30th, 2002 10:41 AM

Use www.winesearcher.com - an excellent tool.<BR><BR>I think I read that the search engine was built by somebody who works for Berry Bros, certainly one of the best wine merchants in the world, and one quite happy to ship to the US. They have shops at Heathrow just to help you out. www.bbr.com<BR><BR>Do try more than one country - one white burgundy I was interested in was cheapest in Belgium. The UK is likely to give you the best selection of merchants. As of now, I have never found the US to be the cheapest.

JD Mar 30th, 2002 10:51 AM

I work for a French multinational. Many of us have lived in France and the question always comes up as to whether it's better to buy french wine in France or the U.S. The answer is that the best way is to buy the wine in France from a negociant who will ship it detaxed to you in the states. Avoiding the tax at either end, the U.S. tax and the French tax is the only way to make out. Perhaps, Mike's lead on that website does it that way. As of yet, I have not done other than to personally detax whatever I bought in Paris and ship it direct. Savings? I figure about 20% over the U.S. price for the same vintage and year. Worthwhile? Only if you really like wine!<BR>The much better route to take, imo, and more entertaining as well, is to follow the vintages as they come out through any number of sources (Wine Spectator, Robert Parker, etc.) and latch onto some wine futures, avoiding the very over-priced chateaux, particularly the Bordeaux. Discover which of the Puligny's and Chassagne's, or even Batard's that you like and stick with those terroirs. Nothing works as well as knowing your wine.

Rex Mar 30th, 2002 12:23 PM

You will save money. It seems like more than 50%, but maybe it's because there are so many opportunities to buy "lesser" - - but still fabulous, and in many cases - - NOT exported wines.<BR><BR>And this is a subjective thing, but there is a nice litlle private thrill about being stocked with bottles that do NOT say "Imported by xxxxxxx brothers, zzzzzville, NJ".<BR><BR>Though not in the same league as a Puligny Montrachet, you'll be amazed at the number and variety of very drinkable everyday Sancerres. Available for a song. Try 'em.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex

top Mar 30th, 2002 01:35 PM

to the top<BR>

ttt Mar 30th, 2002 06:30 PM

Fodorites addicted to website only read threads and Don't have info. re: wine buys????? (95 responses vs. 3????)Feedback Please!

Rex Mar 30th, 2002 07:58 PM

This is the sixth post on this thread TODAY! the Addiction post is over 700 days old with 95 posts on it. what is the point?<BR>

Huh Mar 30th, 2002 11:14 PM

Huh?<BR>

AGM/Cape Cod Mar 31st, 2002 07:14 AM

Fine Wino-<BR> We had wine shipped from Beaune-among<BR>them a Puligny-Montrachet. They were older wines (1992) and costs much less then in the States. Unfortunately you cannot ship wines from France into California due to state restrictions. Also I would check to make sure there aren't restrictions to what you can 'schlep' back yourself.

More Mar 31st, 2002 11:40 AM

Seems like everybody I know looks down at drinking white wines. Any more opinions on this?<BR>

elle Mar 31st, 2002 12:21 PM

Re: looking down one's nose at drinking white wines.<BR><BR>I think it's silly (and naive) to reject wines by their color. There are wonderfully complex whites and some extraordinarily simplistic reds. There are even--dare I say it?--some fine roses in this world.<BR><BR>Besides, if you reject whites, what are you going to drink with oysters? Or asparagus? Just try a red with almost any shellfish and you'll see what I mean.