Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Puglia - Travelling from Otranto to Matera by public transport

Puglia - Travelling from Otranto to Matera by public transport

Jun 14th, 2018, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Puglia - Travelling from Otranto to Matera by public transport

We are a family of 3, my son is 10. We are travelling to Pulgia next week for 2 weeks. We are travelling from Otranto to Matera where we stay in Matera for 2 nights before travelling back to Bari Airport at the end of our holiday.

We plan to travel to Matera from Otranto by public transport and this seems to be a bit of an ordeal- we have no choice really as neither of us wish to drive and for the rest of the trip we don't really require a car. I note we can take a train to Taranto (with 1 to 2 stops) from Ortanto and then a bus (I think) from Taranto to Matera. The whole trip seems to take about 6 hours. I am looking for any tips to try to simplify the trip for us?

Has anyone any experience booking trains via the Trainline.eu website? It seems I can book tickets on this website for other parts of our trip and for part of the journey to Matera. It would be very useful to have tickets pre booked but I have never used this website before and therefore am a bit nervous.

Any tips welcome!

Lisa
Jun 14th, 2018, 12:27 PM

that site has garnered great reviews recently here on Fodors - usually same fares and no service charge now. It may not book to Matera because it is a bus or non-Trenitalia railway. Try Acquista il biglietto con le nostre offerte - Trenitalia - the official site of Italian State Railways to see if fares are the same. That said Trenitalia site flmmoxes some. If they are regional trains involved then best to buy those tickets day of travel = same fare and no reserved seating - see www.seat61.com for myriad tips on booking your own. If it's a bus link it will be dirt cheap so just buy before boarding bus.
Jun 14th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

PalenQ - That is exactly it.. the website won't get me all the way for exactly that reason.

Thank you for the other links... most helpful

Lisa
Jun 14th, 2018, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Super thank you, I just found this too myself... Again a bit nervous of booking with these random websites! But it is good to be organised and have tickets in advance, especially as we don't have much Italian.

Lisa
Jun 14th, 2018, 03:58 PM
kja

Have you checked rome2rio.com? it looks like you might have some good bus options....

Search this Thread