Reload this Page >

Pubs, Clubs, and Grub

Search

Pubs, Clubs, and Grub

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 01:22 PM
Wendy

Pubs, Clubs, and Grub

I'll be in Glasgow, Inverness, Edinburgh and Manchester in early March. I would like to get some advice on the pubs, clubs, and restaurants that are a must in each city. I love real ale, I'm into music from punk to the present and I love all kinds of food from meat pies to curry.

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 01:36 PM
Sheila

Wendu <BR> <BR>here is some stuff on Edinburgh and Glasgow. I hope it helps. On Inverness ye'r on yer own,kid. That's bandit country! <BR> <BR>Buy The List, the fortnightly central belt listings mag, when you get to Scotland. Mancheter is meant to be terrific but I don't know it at all. <BR> <BR>Edinburgh-there are great restaurants and pubs. My favorite restaurant is The Marque. It is on Causewayside and the food is fantastic. The prices were quite reasonable considering the level of cuisine (about $35.00 per person including dessert). It’s just opened a new place called the Marque Central at the back of the Lyceum Theatre in Grindlay Street. If it's atmosphere you like try The Witchery. The prices are a little steep, but the food is good, it’s got a superb wine list and it's right beside the castle (as far as atmosphere, the name says it all) <BR> <BR>Other great restaurants include Stac Polly, Café Hub, Browns, Le Sept, Est Est Est, Bann’s, Henderson’s, the Kalpna, Viva Mexico, Shamiana, the Siam Erewan, the Loon Fung. <BR> <BR>Other great pubs include the Café Royal, the Barony, Mathers, the Diggers (posh name the Athletic Arms), the Roseburn, Bert’s, and the Abbotsford. <BR> <BR>Glasgow-Food- For quality Glasgow’s probably better than Edinburgh <BR>Nairn’s TV chef quality Scottish produce simply cooked <BR>One Devonshire Gardens- “contemporary, vogueish and stylish” <BR>The Ubiquitous Chip- in Glasgow society for serious people watching <BR>Rogano- THE Glasgow restaurant <BR> <BR> <BR>There are lots of others but I have restricted myself to the ones I know about. There are in addition some great Indian restaurants- the Ashoka West End (watch out there are others with similar names) and the Shish Mahal are but 2. <BR>There are some great Chinese too. My favourite is the Loon Fung in Sauchiehall Street. <BR> <BR>There used to be a great tradition of neighbourhood cafes, often Italian. Ones to look for/try are Coia’s in Duke Street and D’Jaconelli in Maryhill Rd.. Understand these are greasy spoons, not sought out for cuisine especially. <BR> <BR>Glasgow is the home of the Scottish pub. They are all worth trying, but these are some of the best- definition of best here is “Glasgow”- <BR>The Halt Bar in Woodlands Road <BR>The Corinthian in Ingram Street <BR>The Scotia (my favourite- folk music, writers and journalists) Stockwell Street <BR>The Saracen’s Head (wan singer, wan song) Gallowgate <BR>The Bon Accord- for the beer. N Street(now a slip road of the motorway) <BR>Tennents in Byres Road <BR> <BR>If you want folk music try the Scotia or the Clutha Vaults nearby. For a ceilidh try the Renfrew Ferry (a real ferry moored on the river. Every Friday night) or the Riverside. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 03:42 AM
AndyC

Going to just confine myself to Glasgow . <BR> <BR>Restaurants? Sheila's covered the ones that serve good scottish cooking. I would add the Buttery to the list though. Expect to spend £30-50 per person depending on number of courses and wine. Glasgow has tons of ethnic restaurants though and all of them almost more bang for the buck . <BR> <BR>Amongst these, indian (and possibly chinese) are the most prevalent. There are some that consider Glasgow the Beer and Curry Capital of Europe quite rightly. I'd recommend the Shish Mahal or Shimla Pinks for a full meal or Murphy's Pakora Bar (Pakoras are bite size snacks usually deep fried with spices) for beer and 40+ varieties of pakora to try. (Similar to Spanish Tapas and beer!) For Chinese, there's Chinatown restaurant and if you fancy a meal with a difference, there's Kubla Khan if you fancy putting together your own "Mongolian" meal which they cook in front of you. <BR> <BR>Pubs are everywhere in the city but one that is a little different is Cottier's which used to be a church ! They also tend to have live bands playing every now and then as well as a restaurant which serves some very nice food upstairs. <BR> <BR>There are plenty of clubs around too. Just walk up Sauchiehall Street on a Saturday night and you'll see the queues. Try the Garage/Archaos for two of the larger nightclubs. Hope this helps a little.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 03:46 AM
Tony Hughes

Wendy <BR> <BR>Sheila and I had a meal in Viva Mexico in Cockburn (Co-burn) street in central Edinburgh a few weeks ago and it was great. Tony recommends it.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 08:52 AM
Sheila

Shh, Tony, don't tell everyone!