Reload this Page >

Public transportation in Tuscany...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 02:14 PM
michelle/nyc

my appologies if this question has been posted... I can't find many responses. <BR> <BR>after doing a lot of research, it's obvious that the best way to see Tuscany is by renting a car. since I don't want to rent a car, could you please recommend places that are accessible via bus or train... also, do you recommend purchasing tickets in advance. I will be arriving in Florence... and staying in Tuscany for 10 days. I will spend some time in Florence... with a possible organized tour to the Chianti region (which isn't easily reached by bus/train). I was also considering staying a couple of nights in Siena ... with possible day trips to Montalcino and/or Pienza. suggestions greatly appreciated.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 04:14 PM
Michael

Michelle: I just yesterday returned from 9 days in Florence & Tuscany. Rented small farmhouse on a private vineyard not far from Florence (near San Casciano/Mercatale VP) which could not have been reached by SITA (Bus) even though SITA serviced some main roads nearby (but not within walking distance). I found initaly.com and venere.com to be excellent resources (the staff at initialy was extremely helpful - you may want to ask their advice). In my case (I love to drive) the car allowed the luxury/spontaneity of taking day trips to Siena, SanG, Pisa, Lucca via country roads or the Autostrata.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 06:25 PM
Judy

There are fairly good public transportation systems in Tuscany.If you don't want to drive, base on Florence and Siena, you would be able to visit all the places you listed(and more) by buses. I have done it last Feburary (3 nights in Lucca, 4 nights in Siena, and 4 nights in Florence).It is not necessary to buy ticket ahead.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 04:41 AM
Steve James

Hello Michelle, <BR> <BR>From Florence, easy day-trips by train are Lucca, Pisa, Cortona and Orvieto. If you want to go beyond Tuscany, Assisi and Bologna are other possibilities. <BR> <BR>For bus services from Siena to Montalcino, San Gimignano etc. see:- <BR>http://www.db.sienanet.it/web/train/...e.asp?tratta=2 <BR> <BR>Let me know if I can be of more help ... <BR> <BR>Steve <BR>

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 05:14 AM
jean

Michelle, just remember that there is virtually no bus service to the small towns on Sundays. Have a great trip! <BR>Jean