Public transportation in London - 2 Days, 2 adults, 3 children

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are spending a couple of days in London early next month and have reserved a flat in the Docklands area. I have not been to London in many years and don't know if it makes sense to purchase some sort of travel card (like the Oyster) or if many of the major tourist things will be accessible on foot. We don't mind walking and plan to view things such as the Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, Covent Garden, etc. Also - we're arriving at Gatwick on Saturday evening. Would you have recommendations for getting to the docklands from the airport? Thanks very much!
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 10:20 AM

It is a no-brainer to buy the Oyster Card as that will save you tons of money and always give you the cheapest fare - sans card a single Tube ride is at least 4 pounds - with a card i think 1.5 pounds - the card costs nothing except for the money you use.

Docklands is remote from all sites - you can walk to nothing from there.

From Gatwick hop the Capital First trains to some central London station like London Bridge and change to a Tube to Bank from where the Docklands Light Rail (DLR) will take you to any Docklands locale.

cheapskates can buy a ticket from Gatwick to East Croydon then use the Oyster Card (don't cover Gatwick - too far out) from there.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 10:26 AM

If you are staying in the Docklands, basically nothing in the way of tourist attractions will be accessible on foot. My first, strong suggestion for a stay of two days is to try to find another flat in a more convenient area if you can. The Victoria, Mayfair, Covent Garden or south Bloomsbury areas would be most convenient, I think. Kensington also would be fine.

If you must stay in the Docklands, you will be a Tube ride from anywhere and will probably need to change lines, so yes, Travelcards will be necessary. There are many posts here about London travel with children; I can't help with specifics as I haven't traveled there with kids, but depending on the ages of your children, they may need a specific Travelcard or even be able to travel free with an adult. Do a search and you'll find lots of threads. For the adults, simplest is to either put pay-as-you-go (PAYG) credit on an Oyster card, or to buy one-day Travelcards for the two days you'll be there. You will need zones 1 & 2 for the Docklands. (Anything you want to see is in zone 1.)

With five people, it's easiest and probably most economical to use a car service from Gatwick (rather than buying train tickets for everyone). Just Airports is one I and many others here have used; there are others as well.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 11:33 AM

I live in Docklands, and I have to agree with jent on the convenience point. But if you're committed to it, it's not the end of the world - just get used to the idea that you'll be 30-40 minutes away from the flat for most of the day - and once you're back in it, you won't feel much like going back into town again.

For public transport, never never pay cash-per-ride - the fares are deliberately set high to discourage this. For two days, I would go for Oyster pay-as-you-go: there's a cap on the total you're charged in each day which is slightly less than the cost of a one-day Travelcard. You don't need to get an Oyster in advance, though you can if you want - many convenience stores have them. Children under 11 travel free as long as they're with you. Above that they will need a photocard for child reductions:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/default.aspx

Whereabouts in Docklands is this flat? If (I'm guessing here) it's Odessa Wharf in Rotherhithe (a number of people have asked about it here over the years), there is another option, which is the Thames Clipper boat service from Greenland Pier. But this is not cheap, even with some concessions for people using TfL passes and Oyster:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/default.aspx
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 01:12 PM

<<< It is a no-brainer to buy the Oyster Card as that will save you tons of money >>>

Not true, with 2 adults then a paper Travelcard bought at a train station gives access to the offers on www.daysoutguide.com which represent substantial savings

Of course if they get the train from LGW then that ticket will allow them to use the offers ON THAT DAY.

In any case assuming normal usage Oystercard PAYG will cost the same as a Travelcard - though the Travelcard won't require a £3 deposit.

Agree with everyone else - staying in Docklands is a bad idea for such a short stay especially if you might need to clean up children sometime during the day
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 01:13 PM

<<< there's a cap on the total you're charged in each day which is slightly less than the cost of a one-day Travelcard. >>>

Not true, since the start of the year the cap is the same as the cost of the same 1 day Travelcard.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 01:55 PM

Alan -- they're getting to the airport in the pm, so the paper travelcard for that day will be worthless for days out guide offers.

Lilly, there isn't a tourist site within walking distance of your flat if you're in Odessa Wharf or Rotherhithe or Canary Wharf.

Go on the tfl site Patrick listed above and it'll tell you if the kids will cost anything. If the monkeys are under 11 and with a parent (for 5-10 year olds), they're free.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 02:07 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - how committed are you to this flat?

Docklands is fine for living -- but as a base for tourists - not so much. And especially on such a short visit where I assume you'll want to maximize your time seeing the sites in central London.

If it is a done deal and you can't get out of it, then plan your days well so you won't have any need to return to the flat. If you are doing anything in the evenings (Theatre, dinner, late gallery/museum opening, river cruise, shopping, Ceremony of the Keys - whatever) you won't be able to go back to the flat in the mean time.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 05:09 PM

I think you need to look at a map. Docklands is near practically nothing that tourists want to see - you will have to use the tube a lot - to get anywhere. And won;t want to be bouncing back to drop off shopping, shower and change for dinner - or even just relax for and hour before heading out for the next round of sights.

Esp if your kids are young and might get cranky I would find someplace central to stay.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 07:09 PM

Of course if they get the train from LGW then that ticket will allow them to use the offers ON THAT DAY.>

It has previously been reported and confirmed i believe that if they buy a return ticket to Gatwick they can use the return ticket for the whole time in London for the 2 for 1 Offer - is that not right?

which would mean the Oyster Card would be the way to go once at London Bridge or whatever First Capital Connect station they go to?
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 02:23 AM

If you are staying in the Docklands, basically nothing in the way of tourist attractions will be accessible on foot.>>>

There is the, rather terrific, Museum of London in Docklands (Limehouse or westferry DLR stops and a short walk)
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 03:38 AM

<<< It has previously been reported and confirmed i believe that if they buy a return ticket to Gatwick they can use the return ticket for the whole time in London for the 2 for 1 Offer - is that not right? >>>

It rather presupposes that OP is returning to Gatwick and hence needs a return ticket
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 04:49 AM

Well, you learn something new every day, C_W. Thanks - might have to check that out next time. Still, not on most lists for a two-day visit.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 06:14 AM

It rather presupposes that OP is returning to Gatwick and hence needs a return ticket>

well i would think that would be a rather good supposition. And if they do they don't have to fart around getting a paper TravelCard just to get the 2 for 1 discount - they use their Gatwick return paper train ticket for the 2 for 1 discount.

But yes if they are say going to Edinburgh or Paris to fly back moot - but i thought it was a good point to mention if that were the case.
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 10:50 PM

If you're only in London for 2 days and want to see major sights then you might want to check out London Walks tours. They are a fantastic way to see some of the essentials. When I'm in a major city for a short time, I will also take one of the open top buses that you can hop on and off. It gives a quick sense of the place, gets you from A to B and [most important] gives the tired feet a break from all of the other walking you've been doing.
As to your transport question: When I went to London twice last year, I got an e-mail newsletter from the London Transport service. [I'm sorry, I don't have the link anymore] but it gave some ideas of what was on during my stay as well as which tube stations were closed etc. I pre-printed the map of the Underground and laminated it for the trips. Your children might find this interesting too.