Public transportation in Croatia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're looking at a trip to Croatia next year, specifically Dubrovnik, Split, Plitvice, Istria and an island or two. Maybe Slovenia also.

We don't want to drive. So I'm wondering about public transportation there. I don't hear anything about trains. What about buses? Are they comfortable? Air-conditioned?

Any tips welcome.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 01:11 PM

Because the trains are very limited to the point of near uselessness. The bus system is quite efficient and comfortable for the places you mentioned in Croatia, with the exception of inland Istria being a little more tricky (along the coast the connections are good).
The ferries are good too. I found Croatia quite easy to travel in without renting a car. If you were going to be based in one place for a long time, a car would be recommended, but for getting place to place, the buses can't be beat.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 03:24 PM

I just returned from Croatia and can confirm that the bus connections along the Dalmatian Coast are very good. We took the bus from Split to Dubrovnik (4 hours), spent three days in Dubrovnik and then picked up a rental car, which got us back up the coast, over to Hvar then then to Plitvice Lakes and Zagreb.

The rental car was very handy to have for Hvar and Plitvice Lakes. Is there a reason that you aren't wanting to get a car?

Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Okay, I'm back again, considering driving.

However, I just found out there's a steep fee to pick up a rental car in Slovenia and drop it off in Croatia. So we're looking at taking public transportation from Ljubljana to one of 3 possible pick-up spots: Rijeka, Porec or Pula. I managed to find trains to Rijeka or Porec. Is bus a better way to travel this route? If so, about how long does it take?
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 08:43 AM

Call AutoEurope, they sometimes do not have drop off charges. Many car rentals frown on pick up in one country and drop in another. Right now there is not love lost between Slovenia and Croatia, and they charge a big fee to drive on the highway from Slovenia to Croatia.

How much time are you planning for this trip?
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 11:34 AM

I do not want to convince you to drive if you would rather not but a car is extremely helpful in Istria, especially the little hilltop villages inaccessible by public transportation. You can really get off the beaten path on tons of little twisty roads.