Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Public transport from St. Sulpice from CDG & to Versailles

Apr 29th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

DH & I are flying in to Paris for 3 days in May (he'll stay another 2 for business) and want to use public transportation to get around. We are staying at Relais St. Sulpice in St. Germain area. Questions:

(1) Our flight arrives at 8:30 a.m. on Friday. What's the easiest way to get to our hotel near St. Sulpice (near Luxemburg Gardens) area?

(2) We'd like to go to Versailles on Saturday. I understand we can take the RER line C. Does anyone know how we catch it from our hotel?

(3) Given our short stay (3 full days), is it worth going to the Louvre or would you recommend another museum? Or should we nix the big museums and just soak in the atmosphere & walk the neighborhoods?

Thank you in advance for your advice!
Apr 29th, 2008, 03:10 PM

1) It depends on how much luggage you have. Personally I would take the RER into Paris and switch to Metro line 4 at Les Halles.

2) If you don't mind walking a little bit (it is less than 1/2 a mile) walk to Saint-Michel-Notre-Dame RER station and then it is a straight shot (make sure you get on a train to Versailles Rive Gauche.

3) That is going to have to be a personal preference. Is this your first time in Paris? What are your priorities?
Apr 30th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

(1) We're only carrying one piece of lugguage each. I think the RER is very close to our hotel but all the printed RER maps I've seen don't have an overlay of the streets so it's hard to tell.

(2) Thanks,we'll do that. How much time should we allot for Versailles? Do you recommend going early on Saturday, before the crowds build, or is it worth going later & staying until the fountains are lit at dusk?

(3) This is my first time (& won't be the last!); DH has been there once before but on business. Only fixed plans for now is Versailles on Saturday. Will probably do a lot of monument sightseeing & neighborhood wandering on Friday to walk off jet lag then early night. Sunday is open, though I'd like to do a little shopping (inexpensive scarves or unusual jewelry for gifts). Any suggestions for where I might find this?

Apr 30th, 2008, 07:10 AM

For maps showing stations in relation to your hotel:

http://tinyurl.com/6qz8j3

use the zoom functions and look for signs M and RER.

Apr 30th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you PatrickLondon, that link is most useful. Exactly what I needed!