Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Public transport from Ostuni (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/public-transport-from-ostuni-996863/)

bsmithstucky Nov 3rd, 2013 10:06 PM

Public transport from Ostuni

My hubby and I are traveling to Puglia next March for our 20th anniversary. I really would love to stay in a city center and have fallen in love with the idea of Ostuni. Also, we would really love to not rent a car since I cannot drive. Has anyone based in Ostuni and used the train to explore? We're not afraid to walk a few miles a day, FYI.

Also, would love to find olive oil source to purchase and ship home for personal use. Any suggestions on who to visit while there are greatly appreciated.

AND, last but not least VINO!! Favorite wineries anyone!?!?

(Should I split these questions up into different topics? First time trying out a forum!)

Thank you all!! Grazie

asps Nov 3rd, 2013 11:07 PM

As much as I remember the train station at Ostuni is a couple of miles out of the town. There should be a shuttle bus - less frequent in winter. Keep this in mind when planning your trip.

neckervd Nov 4th, 2013 01:19 AM

May I remember the web site of Ostuni:

"The Ostuni train station is located 2 km from the city.

Coaches to Brindisi are available all day but more frequent in the morning. They also stop at Carovigno and San Vito dei Normanni. There are also daily coaches to Cisternino, Fasano and Taranto The main bus stop is located in Viale dello Sport. There are also other stops in piazza Italia and via Fogazzaro."

bilboburgler Nov 4th, 2013 01:37 AM

I think the station is down the hill as well as out of town.

There are buses to Brindisi, Carovigno, San Vito dei Normanni, Cisternino, Fasano and Taranto.

http://www.stpbrindisi.it/index.php/ostuni-ext.html

bilboburgler Nov 4th, 2013 01:39 AM

We prefer the wines from Salice rather than up here, but you will find plenty of wines around. Olive Oil down near Squinzano is good (look at their comune website) but I bet Ostuni has their own.

bsmithstucky Nov 4th, 2013 06:57 AM

bilboburgler thank you for the bus link! I had been unsuccessful at finding that on my own.

The flat we are looking to rent is 1.2 miles from the train station. So that is doable for us. At least at the beginning of the day when the walk will be downhill. :-) But it also appears there are two (maybe three) different train lines in Puglia, so getting somewhere may require a trip out of the way to change trains. ????

My other thought is that maybe we should base ourselves out of Lecce. Although, mentally, I'm not sold on that idea yet. I do love towns with no traffic allowed in their centers. (Hence why I adore Venezia - although probably not as much in late winter). I'm not actually sure how Ostuni and Lecce compare in that regard. The flat we found in Ostuni has a terrace and is a terrific price (about 290€ For the week) and gets great reviews. I've yet to find a Lecce property that's quite as good a deal. Of course, at the end of March, we may not care about outdoor space. Sigh...so many choices, so little time!

My pie in the sky dream is to purchase a small place eventually so we can experience milder winters. (Planning WAY ahead here). So part of our goal this trip is to just get to meet people and see how we feel about this area.

Thank you all for your continued help and suggestions!

bilboburgler Nov 4th, 2013 07:11 AM

Well follow my name to see what we did in Puglia. I've only spent a day or two in Ostuni and while it was pretty I was not impressed. If you decide on Lecce stay in the old town, the ring road is terrifying and you don't need a car in the old town.

bsmithstucky Nov 4th, 2013 07:37 AM

Oh thank you! I will read your account.

bsmithstucky Nov 4th, 2013 08:35 AM

Bilbo - I presume it's the Puglia wedding thread I should read? Starting off so intriguing!!! What funny comments. I live in and love Oregon and I don't necessarily agree with the one comment about it having better wines than Italy. (Definitely more expensive though!) I do love my Pinots! But I also adore Sangiovese and primativo! Looking forward to Italy for those alone and for discovering new wines too!

My husband has food science and wine making degrees and I used to work in food science so we are all about tasting and trying it all!!

jamikins Nov 4th, 2013 08:43 AM

We spent a week in puglia last year...you can see our pics and read our trip report here
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...t-do-italy.cfm

Ostuni is a hill town compared to Lecce which is flat. Lecce had a much bigger town feeling, more bustling compared with the small town feel in ostuni. We loved our trip!

jamikins Nov 4th, 2013 08:46 AM

Here is a better link for the photos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pug_gir...7635047994978/

isabel Nov 4th, 2013 10:12 AM

bilbo - on the map I see two ring roads - an outer one that looks like it says it's NSA 71 (Tangenziale) and an inner one that seems to encircle the "old town". Which one is "terrifying" and why?

I noticed in Kristina's current report she mentions being 'traumatized' after driving into Lecce. Several other reports also talk about trouble finding certain B&Bs and hotels in Lecce. So what do people do who want to use Lecce as a base (and have a car) do? I see some hotels outside the inner ring road that look to be 15 minutes or so walk to the center, but can't imagine staying outside the outer ring road.

bsmithstucky Nov 4th, 2013 10:28 AM

Oh great questions and observations isabel. I think this forum could become my new addiction.

bsmithstucky Nov 4th, 2013 10:33 AM

Jamikins - WOW - great picts! Thanks for the link

jamikins Nov 4th, 2013 10:47 AM

Thanks! :)

As for driving...we found that it's fine on the main roads in larger towns and the hwy (although speed limits and full stops appear to be suggestions). It was in the smaller towns in the centre where rules seemed to go out the door!

yestravel Nov 4th, 2013 11:40 AM

We drove into and out of Lecce several times and I had little if any trouble. I agree with jamikins thoughts above on driving.
We also have a TR that covers part of our trip to Puglia last fall and you might find useful. Loved Puglia
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...a-short-tr.cfm

bilboburgler Nov 4th, 2013 12:25 PM

Not sure which ring road, but fast moving traffic, terrible signage and the sort of driving that only an idiot would do (by others).

There are places to park and local B&Bs sort you out, just drop them an email or text.

bsmithstucky Nov 4th, 2013 09:46 PM

I actually don't mind driving and have driven in Italy before and England, France, Australia, all without incident. But unfortunately last year I found out I had a heart condition the hard way. When I regained consciousness my car was totaled. I realize now I had warning signs, so now only drive when I feel totally top notch and even then, as rarely as possible. I feel pretty lucky to be alive and have no desire to ruin it by pushing my luck. And I really hate to make my husband drive all the time when the point is to relax and celebrate 20 years together. The poor guy is already my chauffeur more than is fair since our current home is 5 miles from the nearest bus stop.

From what I'm reading hear an other forums, I'm thinking if we want to go without a car at all I may have to ditch staying in Ostuni and maybe consider Lecce? (Maybe a smidge warmer in March.)

I'm reminding myself that I could have way worse problems than that of trying to decide which Italian town I'd like to stay in for a week. Poor me and all my tough decisions.... ;-)

neckervd Nov 5th, 2013 12:50 AM

Lecce is a completely different place in a different area, from where you would probbly visit other places than from Ostuni, but it's up to you.

bsmithstucky Nov 12th, 2013 07:54 AM

I know! Uggh. I'm still waffling.