Search

Public transport from FLR to Barga / Lucca

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2017, 05:54 PM
MYP
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Public transport from FLR to Barga / Lucca

Hello! I'm going to a wedding next month in Barga (near Lucca). I'm flying into FLR airport and need to take public transportation to the Il Ciocco hotel in Barga. It looks like the train from FLR takes 2 hours and goes through Pisa. Does anyone have any recommendations for what I should do?

Grazie!
M
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 06:38 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Barga is a bit tricky to get to. You can take a train with a change in Lucca (I went from Lucca) but the town is up a long steep hill, I'd say 2 miles from the station. No taxis at the station and buses few & far between. I never succeeded in getting a bus up the hill so walked on the shoulder of a scary winding road. I don't recommend it.

If your accommodation can arrange to pick you up at the station, that would solve the problem. Or the Rome2rio site says there are buses with 2 changes which seems a lot of bother.

Your best bet, I think, would be to rent a car, just over an hour drive compared to over 3 hours on the 3 buses. Or book a taxi from FLR. Ask your hotel for suggestions.
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 10:04 PM

There are two routes. Train from Lucca to the local station (Gaillicano from memory) and then bus. Or bus direct from Lucca (no changes). Timetables are online if you do a google search. We loved staying Barga. Note that we haven't visited for a few years but doubt that transport has changed much. We did need to buy bus tickets prior to travel from the local bar or kiosk (which was sometimes closed in the middle of the day so buy enough for a return trip).
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 11:21 PM

I find it a bit strange that you have not been informed of travel arrangements to get to Barga. In Italy everyone is very accommodating in helping guests get to the location especially anyone arriving from abroad.

Most weddings in Italy now use a wedding planner who should be able to help. Have you contacted them? If not, the bride or groom? For me, contacting the hotel would be the third option.
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 05:09 PM
MYP
Original Poster

Thanks all! There is a shuttle option from the hotel, but it's EUR 200, unless there are other people they are picking up at the same time. So, that may be an option, but I obviously don't want to foot all of that myself!

I can have family member(s) pick me up in Lucca, but I'll have to get there from FLR airport. Should I just take the train, or would a bus be faster / more direct?

Grazie!
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 06:32 PM

With the train option it would be easier for them to find you, the area around the station is open and simple. The down side is you would, I believe, have to get to the main station in Florence for the train. Taxi or bus to SMN Station in Florence and take a train to Lucca to be picked up.

Rome2rio shows the buses taking less time. Down side, if the bus station is as it was last time I was there, it's across town from the train station, not a building but outside and would, for me, be more confusing to know where to pick you up.
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 10:40 PM

If you wanted to, you could change trains in Lucca for Gallicano and have family pick you up at the station there. That would be easier than swapping to a bus in Lucca as Lucca is not a big station (probably just cross to the other platform). Check trenitalia.com for timetables but guess you know that already.
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 06:33 AM

The question now, as I understand it, is how to get to Lucca from FLR airport to be picked up, bus from the airport or train from Florence. No, another train isn't very difficult but getting into a car is better if someone is willing to come to Lucca.

I assume you already have your flights booked. But if not, flying into Pisa would be easier than FLR for a train, or closer/cheaper if you wanted to book a transfer direct to Barga. You might even convince that family member to pick you up at Pisa Airport.
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 07:42 AM

Frankly I am amazed that we are still discussing train/bus options.

In most Italian weddings the couple will have pick up options available especially for guests coming from overseas. Quite frequently the bride's family will cover hotel costs too.

Are neither bride or groom Italian?
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 09:04 AM

"Are neither bride or groom Italian?"

I'm wondering the same thing. If this is a so-called "destination" wedding, it makes me wonder anew why people think they're such a good idea. And if they are Italian, why aren't they making it easier for their guests.