Public restrooms in Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A rather delicate subject I know. I have a very ordinary bladder and when its time to go, its time! We will be visiting Londin, Edinburgh and Rome. I am jsut wondering if there are many puiblic restrooms there. Are they free? Clean? I dont mind paying. I once spent 25 cents to use the bathroom at a McDonalds in Hollywood. Money well spent.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 01:42 PM

They do have public bathrooms in many of the areas and most of them will require payment and with the Euro, perhaps a half a euro amounting to almost 75 cents with our present value. However with the ones that charge, they generally are kept CLEAN which is nice. You have to keep change handy.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 01:48 PM

Apart from train stations, St Peter's (on the left side of the colonnade) and MacDonald's, I can't recall a single *public* washroom in Rome.

Fortunately for me and other men, there are many ruins and other bits of wilderness, also lots of small, twisty streets.

(You think I'm kidding but I'm not.)
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Quote:
Fortunately for me and other men, there are many ruins and other bits of wilderness, also lots of small, twisty streets.

(You think I'm kidding but I'm not.)

Yikes. I understand the desperation though.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 01:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, ozrick,

i have to agree with tedgale - i can't remember a single public loo in Rome, apart from the ones in museums and other attractions.

the best way to deal with this is to use the facilities every time you stop for coffee or whatever - which of course means you'll have to stop again in about 1/2 hour!

Venice DOES have public loos - but unless you have a vaporetto or museum pass, it'll cost you 1E every time you spend a penny.

regards, ann
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 01:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
ps certaily in london and edinburgh, all the department stores have free toilets which are normally very clean and pleasant.

the only downside is that they are often on the top floor, which is a bit of a drag if that's all you've gone in for.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 02:04 PM

In Rome, there is a pay (75 Euro cents) public bathroom near, I think, Piazza San Silvestro.

Everyone suggests McDonald's, but I tried that once, and it was a terribly long wait, and it wasn't that great when I finally got there.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 02:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
This is not specific to your destination but I find it easiest to use the restrooms somewhere with a small purchase (like a local cafe, restaurant, fast food place) and sit down for a bit. Museums, libraries, hotel lobbies, department stores are sometimes also options.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 02:39 PM

I have found that finding restrooms in Europe is challenging. Public ones are not easy to find. Try to use restrooms in restaurants, museums, and large stores. Don't assume there will always be toliet paper. Don't pass up any opportunity to use a facility. Good luck.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 02:50 PM

Yes, take advantage every time there is a restroom. And the comment about cafes etc., order a drink and use the restroom, and than use the restroom again before you leave, lol.

If you are dressed appropriately you may be able to walk into a larger hotel that has a restroom off their lobby without any problem.

Old Feb 14th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

As a Pastor I have preached a sermon entitled, "take every opportunity as if from God". I certainly apply that to restrooms and will be doing just that in Europe. Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 03:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
As far as clean... you can tote along a small pack of travel kleenex (for TP) and those little packets of hand wipe sanitizers in your day-bag.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 03:29 PM

Watch out for the squat toilets - although you shouldn't encounter any where you're headed. First time I encountered one of them was last year in Italy - good thing my husband used the facilities first and warned me what to expect. Yikes!

You can pick up some travel toilet paper at any drugstore (CVS, Walgreens, etc). Have found it comes in handy in places you wouldn't expect to need it.

Old Feb 14th, 2008, 03:48 PM

You just brought back a terrible experience I had last April while in London with my family. Walking bown Birdcage next to St. James Park just next to Buck House and I had to go, go, go! Ditched my family and headed toward a little snack kiosk. Down the enbankment, over the little low chain, onto the walkway, across the pond via walking bridge and feeling joy that I was almost there (sign on the walkway said public loos were there). Run up and WHAT???????? Under repair??????????? I just kept running and, to be honest, I can't even remember where I finally found a public bathroom or if I knocked anyone over to get them out of my way to get to it! Whew!

Normally, it's worth the price of a Starbucks or similar to stop in and use the facilities.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

When you have to go - money is no object!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 04:35 PM

In cities, I go into the nicest hotel I can find, stride in like I know what i am doing, head for the ladies' - usually its in the basement.
The one time I got stopped was in rome, with my DIL, a woman of color and I thought -- oh-oh! But no, they stopped us only to encase her (very ordinary) soft drink in a container bearing a classy logo !
Jess
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 04:39 PM

I'm with ozrick that money is no object when one is in need.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 04:46 PM

In central London (Westminster) just send the word "toilet" as text message from your mobile to 80097, and you will receive a message back with the location of the nearest public restroom.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 04:56 PM

I agree about the scarcity of public restrooms in Rome. McDonalds is an good option with many stores. Also in Rome and throughout Italy, there is a department store chain named “Coin”. They are open 7 days a week and have very clean restrooms. I have also used the restrooms in other department stores in Rome, I just don't remember the names.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 10:09 PM

I absolutely agree with Loveitaly and Jess215. I stroll into any 4 star or more hotel as though I am staying there. I have found that there are always toilets on the ground floor somewhere. I've never been stopped, if I was, I would have an excuse ready - about to eat in their restaurant or perhaps make an enquiry about their rates for next time etc. BTW in London our experience was that the restrooms where we had to pay were DISGUSTING.The free ones were ok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -