Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Provence or Tuscany????? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/provence-or-tuscany-206373/)

Judy Apr 26th, 2002 04:29 AM

Provence or Tuscany?????

I have an opportunity to do a home exchange with either a family in Aix en Provence or a family in Florence. We are two adults and our two kids ages 12 and 14(boys). My husband thinks we should choose Provence because we speak French but in Florence we might have more opportunities to travel to other cities in Italy. I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

Patrick Apr 26th, 2002 04:33 AM

Do the boys speak French too? If so what a great opportunity for them. How long is this exchange? If for two or three weeks then I say do Provence. If you're talking about a couple of months, then maybe Tuscany. But less than that the idea of doing other travel seems less important. I think the real goal with the home exchange is to "live" locally -- not just use the place as a base to travel from.

judy Apr 26th, 2002 04:39 AM

I hadn't thought of it that way but I think you're right. We have done a home exhange with a family in Lewisham near London and we really did feel a part of the neighbourhood living like the locals. Thanks for the feedback.

Julie Apr 26th, 2002 04:54 AM

There's also plenty of France that you can see from a base in Provence and Provence has prettier markets.

linda Apr 26th, 2002 05:27 AM

Judy,<BR><BR>I don't think you can go wrong! I have been to Provence, but have only read about Tuscany, for a trip which almost happened. I have seen Florence, Rome and Venice, which are wonderful destinations, but as another poster stated, there are great destinations in Provence as well. I agree with Patrick that you will want to experience the locale, but depending on the lenght of your stay, a day or overnight trip can add a certain zing to the trip for early teens. I loved the Med. coast and the TGV leaves Avignon for Paris and perhaps/probably other cities. <BR><BR>I too am curious if your boys speak French. They are at great ages for this kind of travel. My boys also traveled to France at those ages, although not for a home exchange. They have very fond memories.<BR><BR>linda

judy Apr 26th, 2002 08:07 AM

Yes they do speak French after years of French Immersion in school. Thanks for the info and feedback. I think we'll probably choose France and maybe take the TGV for some side trips. Any you would recommend? Thanks again for all your much valued opinions.

Rex Apr 26th, 2002 09:12 AM

France.<BR><BR>France.<BR><BR>France.<BR><BR>Forgi ve me if I failed to make clear my opinion.<BR><BR>France.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Uncle Sam Apr 26th, 2002 09:39 AM

Have been to both, but Provence would be my choice...perhaps it's because of the Chateauneuf du Pape!!!<BR><BR>US

to the front of the line Apr 26th, 2002 01:24 PM

to the head of the class.<BR><BR>to France.<BR>

Lynne Apr 26th, 2002 01:42 PM

France<BR><BR>Tuscany is great but Provence is somehow<BR>more amenable. So much to see in a<BR>more manageable area. <BR><BR>You don't say when you'd be there, but<BR>if it's June/July Florence and Siena <BR>are chock-a-block full of turistos and<BR>you spend time fighting the crowds.<BR>In Provence you have more 'space' and<BR>(other that Avignon) can see and do<BR>more without being in a crowd all the<BR>time.<BR><BR>Mais, chacun a son whatever!<BR>