Provence or Cote d'Azur?

Search

Provence or Cote d'Azur?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Provence or Cote d'Azur?

My husband and I are looking for a relaxing vacation and have talked for awhile about seeing Provence and the Cote d'Azur.

As we can only see one due to our timeframe (we will only have 9 days max), which would be closer to what we want out of this vacation:

Scenery, Ambience, Friendliness, Lodging, Shopping, Restaurants, Sites/Activities, Cost and Ease of getting to and around - we will rent a car either place. (we are flying in from Boston).

For the most part we want to meander around, shop, eat, drink (both the wine and the scenery)

Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 09:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
wanderer, I'm in Boston too. You can do both,If you save time going on the autoroute to get to either area. B&B's to cut costs. Buy a book on the area at the Globe travel bookstore in Harvard square so you can find your interests.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 09:38 AM

You could do a little of both during that time period-try Arles as a base for Provence. It's accessible and a great town in and of itself.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 12:09 PM

I would go to Aix in Provence, stay a couple of days and go to the wonderful market on Tuesday, then explore up the coast to Monaco. The little towns along the coast are heavenly.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Anneeby -
Great suggestion. We really do not want to do both "sides" - as we want to really see each area and not rush. We may also be unable to do a full 9 days -that would be max - it may turn out to be 6 or so.

How far is Aix from Nice (travel time by car), and how difficult is the driving if we go April/June/Sept/Oct?

We were thinking of Nice, Vence, St. Paul de Vence, and Eze. Any other towns/villages you would recommend?
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 01:22 PM
blh

Are you thinking of doing several days in Italy and France also? We did that last October, and it was wonderful. Spent four days in Tuscany - Pienza, Montepulciano, Montalcino, Siena, Cortona. Then two days in Cinque Terre. Took train around the Riviera to Nice - got a car and drove into Provence. Spent seven days seeing, St. Remy, Arles, Vaison, Isle, Gordes, Rousillon, Lourmarin, etc. It was a great trip - just villages - took our time and enjoyed the scenery, the people, food, etc. The cost was very reasonable - stayed in small hotels and B&B's. The weather was perfect - cool, but not cold - didn't even need a jacket except at night. The fall colors were beautiful. We flew home from Marseille which is very easy as the airport is outside of Marseille.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 01:23 PM

When are you planning on going? If it is the summer I would recommend the Cote d'Azur - if the spring or fall you'd miss out on all those great beach days - part of the charm of the coast!
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 02:31 PM
sandi

>>We may also be unable to do a full 9 days -that would be max - it may turn out to be 6 or so. How far is Aix from Nice (travel time by car), and how difficult is the driving if we go April/June/Sept/Oct? We were thinking of Nice, Vence, St. Paul de Vence, and Eze. Any other towns/villages you would recommend?<<

If you're down to 6 days, I would pick one area, though both are wonderful to enjoy and explore. Driving between Nice into the heart of Provence (St.Remy) is about 3-hrs. To Avignon is longer, to Aix is shorter.

If considering April or October, I would visit Provence - few tourist, lovely weather, but not quite warm enough to consider the beach.

On the other hand, if June or September, again most tourists are gone and the weather is ideal, mild days in hi-60s/low-70s (though the ocean water is still pretty cold for swimming, but the beaches or a pool are lovely).

Sure you can drive from either to the other, but just doing Aix at the closest end to the Cote d'Azur, it's just the tip of Provence and really not that much Provence. You really have to go into the small towns of the Luberon, Avignon, Orange, Pont du Gard, Arles, St. Remy, Les Baux, etc. all of which you can do at leisure and enjoy in 6 days.

Likewise, 6-days will give you plenty of time to enjoy most of the towns along the Cote - on the Eastern end Menton, Roquebrune, Monaco, Eze, Cap Ferate, Villefranche, Nice, St. Paul de Vence, Biot - west to Cannes and even St. Tropez.

Relaxing doesn't mean trying to get both areas in to the few days you have. I'd pick one area and soak up as much of it as possible and not be so exhausted from driving and finding parking that you miss the delights of either of these two areas.

Get a good guidebook for detailed information of each area and a copy of the Michelin Orange #528 (Provence/Cote d'Azur) map to see where driving will have to take you for either of these areas.

Old Oct 24th, 2003, 06:22 AM

To wanderer...

What airport[s] are you flying in and out of?
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

We initially thought Marseilles, as we wanted to spend a night or 2 in Aix, but from reading wonder if it makes more sense to fly into Nice and not try to do Aix this time.

I don't think if we do 6 days that is enough to see Provence. There seems to be more to see there in a more spread out area??

Wondering also if we need a car, to see Cote d'Azur - is there good public transport to see hilltowns as well as coast?
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 08:19 AM

I agree with Sandi, about chosing a region, and seasons. I am particular of Provence, rather than the Cote. You can have a glimpse of Riviera, if you arrive in Nice, but you can try Marseille, which puts you near to Provence, then drive to Aix, St. Paul de Vence, St. REmy, and Avignon (The siege for the Pope, during the schism in the 14th Century. Avignon has always somthing going on. About renting car in France, the best way is to book on the net. But be very careful, make sure to sign every single paper, and have someone from the rental company sign, at the return of the car, that there is not damage. In our case, we booked on the net, from US, with pick up at the CDG airport, but we would return at the Gare de Lyon location in Paris. It was fine until we received our AMex statement. Thanks God we charged to AMEX. The credit card co. stopped the payment, and we produced all the papers, and there was not a single word from the rental company. Always make sure to check what you will be paying at the end. Bon Voyage!!!
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 11:55 AM
sandi

wanderer -

You can do the Cote d'Azur without a car, as the train runs along the coast - East as far as Italian Border and West to Cannes, but not to St. Tropez. With the train, though, there are schedules to meet and while most sites are a short walk, sometimes you have to take an brief inexpensive taxi ride.

However, with the months you listed, you won't come into the high-traffic of the summer vacation months, so a car works well and can get you where you want to go, when you want to go and when you want to leave. The only issue with a car is parking, so check whether your hotel has parking on-site (and if any charge, some can charge $20/nt). for street parking, you've got to watch when to feed meters - often there is no need to pay during lunch hours 12N-2 or 3pm and after 7pm, but be certain when car has to be moved following morning, or the wheels will be booted (you don't want that).

Driving is easy, the road signs are in English and with a good map, you shouldn't have any problems. Petrol will run about $4/gallon+/-.

Old Nov 6th, 2003, 11:48 AM

Hi,
My husband and I spent almost 8 days at the Cote D'Azur this October. The weather was great, really warm and sunny, but the water was a bit cold for me, although my husband went for a swim every chance he got. You could easily do Aix-en-Provence and Cassis (and Les Calanques from there) if you are staying in Nice or some place around Nice, but I wouldn't venture any farther west if you you prefer to stay in one hotel. There are some wineries on the way to Cassis and their local white wine is said to be very good. We stayed in Juan les Pins which is a pleasant enough resort town near the Antibes. By the way it takes 20 minutes to walk to the old Antibes from there. You can do that when you half 1/2 a day. There is a Picasso museum there and the old town is lovely. I am sure there are good restaurants there too. If you are a beach person, keep in mind that the beaches in Nice are all pebbles, not sand.
Driving is easy enough. The only frustrating part is tolls if you take speed ways and the price of gas and parking. We made sure that we parked in the garage in every town we went to so we didn't have to worry about meters, etc. If you rent a car, make sure you know whether it is a diesel or a regular, they don't always have stickers.
No matter how you plan it or don't plan it at all, you will have a fabulous time.
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 11:40 AM

Hi wanderer,

If you do decide on the Nice area some of the small towns I particularly enjoyed were Tourettes-sur-Loup with its artisan shops built around the town walls. It's on the road between St-Paul and Grasse. I can recommend the couscous and lamb brochette at Chez Grandmere restaurant. In past years I've bought 2 watercolors in Tourettes, done by a local artist, that constantly remind me of my wonderful times there.

Please see the Matisse chapel in Vence. It's only open a couple of days per week, perhaps Tuesday and Thursday. It's a gem.

Also Biot - not the glassblowing area but the charming old village up the hill.

If you're interested in off the beaten path types of towns then exploring the Nice Hinterland is wonderful. The towns of Sospel, Luceram, and La Brigue and the Chappelle de la Fontaine near La Brigue are uncrowded and delightful to walk through.