Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Provence must brings? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/provence-must-brings-728155/)

Cherriescd Aug 11th, 2007 05:27 PM

Provence must brings?

Hello! Besides the obvious items like sunblock and cameras, are there any specific things we should bring for our 10-day trip in Provence? We're staying at a B&B in Gordes and driving to the areas around Avignon (Nimes, Arles) and then ending our stay in Marseille/Aix. When you were there, what things should you have brought that you didn't? Or what things would you be sure to bring next time you go?

Merci!

anna_roz Aug 11th, 2007 08:41 PM

O.K. You really did not indicate what time of the year you are planning on going to Provence, but by the fact that you are packing your sunblock, I assume that it will be sometime in the summer. So, here is what I can recommend: bring casual clothing, like t-shirts and cotton skirts and shorts and sundresses and flip-flops, etc. We visited Provence last summer and like all/most/some (not quite sure of the statistics here) American tourists, we felt compelled to bring our Sunday best Polo shirts with collars, slacks, etc. Well, it was just too darn hot to dress up, so I ended up buying a cotton skirt at a street market and my husband washed and wore the same t-shirt all week!

If you are staying in Gordes, by all means have a meal at Le Clos de Gustave, Route de Murs, 84220 Gordes; tel: 04 90 72 04 25. This restaurant is in Gordes, sort of on a hill, in a lovely setting. I would recommend dining on the lawn as opposed to on the covered patio, only because it would be somewhat cooler and might afford some views. Very good, and reasonably priced, food and equally gracious service.

Anna Roz

Underhill Aug 11th, 2007 09:05 PM

Bring good walking shoes for all those dusty cobblestones, along with hats to beat the sun. On arrival in Provence we always buy a small cooler chest for the car so that we can keep bottles of water cold on those hot days.

hdm Aug 11th, 2007 09:23 PM

I never travel without a small, light pair of binoculars or opera glasses and I carry them everywhere.

Comfortable shoes are a must.

Cherriescd Aug 11th, 2007 09:26 PM

Oh, wonderful ideas and thanks so much for the recommendations.

We will be in Provence mid Sept.

johnthedorf Aug 12th, 2007 02:50 AM

A Corkscrew and glasses.

PBProvence Aug 12th, 2007 04:13 AM

Unless you use a particular sunblock, just wanted to let you know that you can purchase all kinds of sunblock products in any pharmacy here. You might also need mosquito spray or lotion (should we ever get any rain this year) - which is available in pharmacies in abundance as well

TuckH Aug 12th, 2007 04:55 AM

For us, 'must brings' are sketch pads, watercolors, pens and pencils, etc...

suze Aug 12th, 2007 10:08 AM

Prescription glasses & sunglasses, small flashlight, washcloth if you use one, hat.

kerouac Aug 12th, 2007 10:18 AM

Be sure to forget some items so that you can go to a hypermarket.