5 days and 4 nights in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2015, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary in Paris this August (13-17). We are in our mid 40's and it is our very first trip to Europe. The only few things that we for sure would like to see are the Louvre, Versailles, the Catacombs, and travel down the Seine by boat. Other than those things, we'd really just like to experience the area and its culture. We love to eat where locals eat, we don't go "clubbing", we enjoy jazz music, we aren't looking for a typical touristy trip, and are hoping to find a somewhat relaxing spot to stay that is also convenient to public transportation. We've budgeted between $100-125 per night on lodging and would really like to try out Airbnb, but are very leary. If anyone has any suggestions on which arrondissement would suit us best, places to see or eat at, I would greatly appreciate your help. Thank you.
Old May 26th, 2015, 09:26 AM

You should be aware that that is quite a small budget for a Paris hotel and yours is likely to be quite simple. Also you should know that most smaller hotels in Paris are older (as in centuries old) with baths often squished into a corner of the room - or down the hall - rooms are small, usually with one double bed, and not all have Air Conditioning - and the temps can easily be in the 90s.

Suggest you do some in-depth research on these hotels to see if they meet your needs - since they will be nothing like American style side of the highways motels with huge rooms 2 large beds and everything new.

Sorry I can;t help with specifics - since this is not our price point - we figure 350 euros or so per night for a 4* hotel - with larger rooms, AC and full amenities.
Old May 26th, 2015, 09:30 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
For planning/timing purposes, plan for 4 nights = 3 full days, rather than 5, with most often less useful bits on travel days at each end.

Almost any area can suit, the entire city convenient to transport, and with your budget and seeming desire to have a less touristy experience, I suggest you look a bit farther from the center, meaning generally NOT arrondissements 1-7. There are some great neighborhoods all around and equipped with an address and street view, you can find something good.
Old May 26th, 2015, 09:31 AM

What happened with the hotel you reserved on your other thread?
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...s-545722-2.cfm
Old May 26th, 2015, 09:31 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
just some random comments:

• 4 nights does not = 5 days. If you arrive on day 1 and leave on day 5, your 4 nights nets 3.5 usable days to see/do.

• $100 = approx €90. The € is down against the US$ but that still won't get you much. $125 = approx €115 -- a little more doable but still tight.

• I'd avoid airbnb (at the moment at least). Many if not most vacation rentals are illegal and the authorities have decided to clamp down on the situation. For a first trip you probably would do better staying in a hotel.
Old May 26th, 2015, 09:32 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
we were all posting at the same time . . .
Old May 26th, 2015, 09:50 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, indeed, what did happen with your reservation? I hope you didn't cancel, that lovely hotel at the prices the day you reserved.
Old May 26th, 2015, 11:29 AM

Started to post with the others then the window closed.

Agree that you should not use airbnb without reading the threads on this Forum, and that your lodging budget is probably low.

You have a lot of activities planned, so the best thing to do in addition is just stroll around. If you get bored, go to the Place des Vosges and stroll around and then the Carnavalet Museum, which is free, and which has lots of interesting stuff about the history of Paris.

Find places to eat based on where you are when you get hungry--no sense in tracking all over Paris to find a particular restaurant. If you don't see anything (or if you see too many places,) try "Yelp." To save money, try to eat a substantial breakfast, stop for fruit and yogurt or a pastry mid-morning, then eat a late fixed-price lunch. If you get hungry later, stop at a café for coffee or tea and a sweet. At least one day, get some bread, cheese and a bottle of wine and have a picnic.

Bon voyage!