Provence, France... Money No Object!

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 11:40 AM
Steve S.

Provence, France... Money No Object!

No, it's not that we are rich, but my wife and I work all year long so we can have one spectacular vacation. <BR> <BR>This summer we would like it to be in the Provence region (or Tuscany region), and we would like to have recommendations for places to stay that are outstanding. <BR> <BR>We are in our mid 50's and like clean, bright, quiet, and beautiful places. <BR> <BR>Any and all recommendations are appreciated!! <BR>Thanks!! Steve <BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 12:01 PM
x

There was a question similar to this that was asked and answered about a week or two ago. I'm sure you can find it through a search..

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 06:04 AM
Patty

My husband and I stayed at Villa Gallici in Aix en Provence and loved it. Quiet, elegant hotel, with a beautiful restaurant under huge plane trees... very romantic place. In Avignon, stayed at Hotel D'Europe in their suite which had a huge, private terrace overlooking the Pope's palace. I think the suite was close to $500 a night, but if you want something special and grand - this is it. Also if you are going to the south of france - Chateau d' Chevre de Or in Eze (between nice and monaco) is absolutely incredible! Another expensive place although not as bad as Hotel D' Europe. It was my 40th birthday, so I wanted something special and it was. I'd be happy to answer any other questions! <BR> <BR>patty

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 06:27 AM
topper

to the top

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 06:18 PM
Lori

We previously recommended Chateau du Chevre d'Or having stayed there in 1995, but we stayed there again this summer and were VERY disappointed. So much in fact that I doubt that I'd stay there again. The view from Eze-Village is stunning though, and so I might try Chateau Eza. We had dinner there in June and it was very nice. <BR> <BR>But, I'd highly recommend Oustau de Baumaniere--fabulous restaurant and the chef owns a winery nearby, Chateau Romanin, and can arrange tours, tastings, etc. Its located near Les-Baux de-Provence and is a beautiful, peaceful setting among the lavender and rocks. <BR> <BR>Also, Alain Ducasse has opened two inns in Provence. I can't remember the names, but you can probably get there through his website.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 08:39 AM
Lydia

I can highly recommend Ducasse's Bastide de Moustiers, a beautifully-restored country hotel which serves superb food, just outside the wonderful ceramics village of Moustiers. This is a good couple of hours' drive away from the Cote d'Azur but it is tranquil and very beautiful and would fit in well within a holiday in the Provencal hills. Ducasse has opened a second country inn closer to Nice. Look up both properties on his website www.alain-ducasse.com <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 08:55 AM
Lorne

we stayed five nights in the best western in villenueve-avignon called les magnanerie.it is situated 10 to 15 minutes outside avignon on a quiet street in an elevated area with gardens and swimming pool surrounding the property.the rooms are huge with all the ameneties provided. the food is the best i have ever had. it has to be of the most memorable places we have visited. this is a Best WESTERN PROPERTY and can be seen at their website.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 01:33 PM
Robin

Hotel d'Europe in Avignon has very lovely rooms in their "mid-price" category (1300-1800FF). Ours was recently renovated, with a huge and very nice bathroom. The service is excellent, and they have a nice lounge off of the lobby with a computer so you can check in with Fodors! We also had a very nice meal in their restaurant. <BR> <BR>FYI, we also stayed at La Cabro d'Or in Les Baux de Provence, a Relais et Chateaux property. It has potential, but we were rather disappointed. Specifically, our room was pretty old and not very well maintained. The effect was shabby rather than charming! Other parts of the hotel looked nicer, and the grounds were attractive, though, so maybe one could do better with a different room.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 08:00 AM
mimi

highly recommend my favorite:CRILLON LA BRAVE in crillon la brave, We loved THE BASTIDE DE MUSTIERS, there is anew one in Menerbes : BASTIDE DE MARIE. We tried to get a booking there for this summer but for our dates it was filled up. I stayed one night several years ago at the HOTEL EUROPE in Avignon.