Slowly putting together our itinerary for our 3 week trip to France this summer. Have already fleshed out the Paris & Burgundy bits. Now need to flesh out the notional itinerary for Provence for this July. We went to the Cote d'azur/Nicois backcountry two years ago but wanted to see a different part of Provence (hubby especially interested in Gallo -Roman sites). We are a family of four with two school-aged kids (8 and 10). Hubby likes active activities and I like markets/checking out produits du terroir. So trying to accomodate all of our interests this is what I have so far. Looking for suggestions to make sure we are hitting the "must-sees".
I initially had one day for Camargue but swapped out for one day driving trip to Luberon since it seemed really beautiful. (Plus July in Camargue -- very hot with lots of bugs?)
- arrive Avignon by TGV - lunch in Avignon?
- drive to gite near Les Baux de Provence
- evening - Carriere de Lumiere (Les Baux)
- Glanum (St. Remy) in the a.m.
- lunch in St. Remy
- Les Baux in the afternoon (kids would like medieval crossbow/catapult demos)
- see "courses camarguaises" spectacle at the Arena @ 5:30 pm
- Pont du Gard
- paddleboarding near P du G
- Luberon - are Gordes/Roussillon must-sees? I have read mixed reviews about these towns being crowded/overrated. Should we sub out less crowded towns like Apt or Goult
- I want to see Abbey at Senanque (lavender?)
Thursday - Sunday (check out of gite - drive to Marseille for last 3 nights)
- Marseille (one day to visit Cassis/calanques); one day for beach; walk around Old Town
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 FCO hotel for late arrival?
- 2 Lisbon neighborhoods
- 3 Greece in end October
- 4 First - but not last - trip to Greece
- 5 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 6 [Crete] Trapped in Skouloufia? Please help!
- 7 Le Marche Research Help
- 8 Where to Eat in Barcelona
- 9 GTG Paris December 2017
- 10 Laurel and Hardy in Drag Do Bangkok
- 11 London - Paris - Amsterdam trip planning help
- 12 Planning to visit Italy in first 2 weeks of Jan
- 13 Favorite London memories
- 14 10 Days in Austria
- 15 Help/Critique Slovenia Trip
- 16 Adventureseeker returns to Italy! As glorious and detailed as before!
- 17 Preliminary planning for Croatia May or June 2017
- 18 Anthropology and Archeology for the Turkey Traveler
- 19 Return to Slovenia and Venice plus Trieste
- 20 Norte Dame light show!
- 21 Leaving Paris. Just a little sad.
- 22 Avignon
- 23 Looking for Good Eating in Valencia
- 24 8 months around Europe
- 25 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
Provence family trip - suggestions on our itinerary please!