Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Provence - Detailed Driving Iteneraries - Guide Book? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/provence-detailed-driving-iteneraries-guide-book-608256/)

rholt Apr 17th, 2006 06:12 AM

Provence - Detailed Driving Iteneraries - Guide Book?

Can anyone recommend a good guidebook that includes many detailed driving iteneraries in Provence.

Thanks

ahotpoet Apr 17th, 2006 06:16 AM

Stu Dudley will email you a great write up on Provence. Search this board for his name.
BTW Thank you Stu :-))

rholt Apr 17th, 2006 06:34 AM

I actually have Stu's itenerary. It is very good. We will definetly be doing his St Tropez drive.

The main other drive he recommends looks to only be appropriate if you are going to Provence in lavendar season - we are not (we are there in early June).

Thanks

StuDudley Apr 17th, 2006 08:33 AM

The Lavender drive is very pretty any time of year. It takes you past the vineyards in the Luberon, through mountain areas, into some cute hilltop villages, back through a lovely gorge, and ending up at Senanque abbey - which is in another gorge.

The drive in the Luberon is in the itinerary also - and also a circular rive around the Dentelles.

The Michelin Green Guide for Provence also has driving routes.

Stu Dudley

Gretchen Apr 17th, 2006 08:56 AM

We've used the Michelin Green Guides in Normandy and Provence.

Underhill Apr 17th, 2006 09:01 AM

The Michelin Green Guide to Provence is excellent, giving itineraries, details on sights, and recommendations for a few hotels and restaurants in each area. There's an equivalent guide to the Côte d'Azur.

rholt Apr 17th, 2006 09:12 AM

Thanks -

Sounds like I need to look at Stu's itenerary again and take a look at the Green Guide.

Bonjour_Voyageurs Apr 21st, 2006 03:06 PM

Stu Dudley - I would appreciate it if you would be kind enough to email your Provence itinerary to me:
[email protected]

Also, my husband has discovered www.viamichelin.com which is on the idea of mapquest (let's hope it's FAR more accurate). Once he gets driving directions he is able to search for restaurants.
Très Pratique! :-)
Michèle

abqdeb Apr 29th, 2006 07:57 AM

Stu,

We are planning a September trip to Provence and would love to receive your trip report. You can email it to me at [email protected]

Merci!
Deb

CarolineM May 3rd, 2006 03:06 AM

I, too, would appreciate a copy of Stu's itinerary. We are heading to Provence in mid-August (I know, busy time, but that's when the grandparents will take the kids for a week), and would love some tips. Please email it to [email protected]. Thanks!

Viajero2 May 3rd, 2006 03:30 AM

I have browsed many guidebooks for that region and nothing comes close to StuDudley's write up/trip report.

StuDudley May 3rd, 2006 09:38 AM

Thanks Viajero2 - glad you found my itinerary useful.

Stu Dudley

dmuradian May 3rd, 2006 11:11 AM

Stu Dudley, would you mind sending me the Provence itinerary as well.
Thanks!
[email protected]

StuDudley May 3rd, 2006 12:24 PM

If anyone else want's an itinerary, please e-mail me directly at [email protected]

I don't check old threads that often. Also, it's easier to keep track of who I've sent copies to, if I use e-mail to manage the queue of requests.

Also, I go on vacation quite a bit and for several weeks at a time - so if you don't hear back within about 20 days, send me another e-mail (old ones age off after about 20 days).

Thanks

Stu Dudley

elsiejune May 3rd, 2006 12:42 PM

I used a guidebook in 2003 called Provence Byways, written by a California couple who spend part of each year in the village of Lourmarin. It includes detailed drives throughout the Luberon region, as well as drives/walks through Aix-en-Provence and Arles. Check out their website, www.provencebyways.com for more details. ((#))