Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   provence b&b (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/provence-b-and-b-92319/)

trish Nov 1st, 2000 01:31 PM

provence b&b

we are looking to travel for eight days, staying in two different b&b's to explore the area from. any ideas on romantic, pampering places for around $100 per night? it would great if it was near a village. thanks for any suggestions.

trish Nov 9th, 2000 04:57 AM

i can't believe no one has a suggestion for me - please can someone give me some ideas?

elizabeth Nov 9th, 2000 05:56 AM

Trish - I don't have any personal suggestions but here are two good web sites: <BR> <BR>www.karenbrown.com - Karen Brown guides feature very nice B&B's and small hotels - there's a few in Provence on this site plus there's a France edition of the book. <BR> <BR>www.gites-de-france.fr - this is an association of B&B/villa rentals - they have many classifications - we've stayed in the "Chambres et Tables d'Hotes" - moderately priced, charming B&Bs. The site has some listings or you can write for a guide book (also - Amazon sometimes carries the guides - they're out of date by a year or two but still relevant - you might want to also try the Amazon UK site as it tends to have more European Travel Books). <BR> <BR>Hope that helps. Bonne Chance!

Sandy Nov 9th, 2000 06:01 AM

My husband and I reserved an apartment in Nice (through our travel agent in Canada, when we booked our trip - via a Montreal company). Five years ago, the cost was just over $700 CDN for a week. We then used public transit - buses and trains to visit various towns and villages on day trips. The apartment rooms were small, but it had a kitchen, bathroom, water closet, two single beds in bedroom and a living/dining room. The grocery store, delicatessin and bakery was nearby, so we were able to eat breakfast at home before early starts for day trips. Dishes, towels, bedding and stove supplied. <BR>Have a great trip!

JC Nov 9th, 2000 08:22 PM

I just came back from Provence last week,I stayed in a lovely 3-stars hotel for 1 week in Vaison-la-Romaine, only cost us$40 per night.Vaison is an very interesting small town with lots of Roman ruins and buses to some of the old small towns in Provence and not very crowdy. The hotel is an 15 centuries old chataux upon the hill in the old town, I had a room with balcony and sitting area to oversee the river and Roman ruins, The hotel is Hostellerie le Beffroi, phone no is 04-90-35-04-71,I didn't book ahead, only one day befored from Avignon, because I didn't enjoy Avignon, it was far too crowdy and not very safe to walk alone for a single traveler in the night.However, in Vaison, I took long walk everyday without any any problem, and took buses to all the markets in different town every day. If you have your car,it will make it even more enjoyable.

Bob Nov 10th, 2000 03:51 AM

Another web site to check is <BR>www.avignon-et-provence.com it has B& Bs <BR>in Avignon and within an hours drive. Also shows small hotels.

Jerry Nov 10th, 2000 07:01 AM

You might consider Le Rocher Pointu near Aramon. Wonderful hosts. <BR>www.imaginet.fr/~amk <BR>Telephone: 04 66 57 41 87 <BR> <BR>Bon voyage, <BR>Jerry

Toodie Dodson Nov 14th, 2000 03:47 PM

Mas de Cornud in St. Remy de Provence is wonderful! My husband & I stayed there in May '98. I think it cost a bit more than $100/nite, but is very well located for exploring the area. St. Remy is a lovely little town, great restaurants, great market. The inn has a pool, very nice, quiet rooms and serves dinner most nights prepared by chef Nitockrees Carpita. We found it to be very romantic. . .

adina Nov 14th, 2000 05:24 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Hermitage in Pernes-les-Fontaines. We didn't eat there so I can't comment on the food but the grounds are beautifu, lawns, trees, pool. Great location near Avignon and the Luberon Mountains. I'm looking at their brochure now and I don't see a web page but I see a fax 0490613641. Enjoy.

trish Nov 15th, 2000 06:19 PM

Thanks everyone - your suggestions will certainly help -

Sue Nov 16th, 2000 04:42 AM

Some friends of the lady we rent an appartment from in Provence have just opened a B&B, called La Bourie, in Goult, a village in the Luberon (Peter Mayle country). They have an beautiful old house and have built 4 rooms, either detached or with separate entrances, with TV and fridges. Guests also have kitchen privileges. There is a pool, spa and tennis courts. Rooms run from 400-600FF/night breakfast included. It is a beautiful site and the young couple (M/Mme Pauwels-Renwart, Chemin de la Verriere, 84220 Goult en Luberon, France) is very nice. Tel/fax 33(0)4 90 72 35 84. You can mention the Las Vegas friends of Rejane Roche.

winifred ibbott Nov 19th, 2000 11:18 AM

Hi Trish: We were in Provence fro 3 days in september. I wish it had been longer. we also stayed near Pernes les Fontaines. We stayed at La Nesquiere, which is a lovely old farmhouse down a country road. It is a few miles from the village of Pernes, and about 15 mins from Avignon. We loved it, and particularly enjoyed exploring Gordes, and the Abbey de Senanque. The countryside is beautiful. At La Nesquiere, it is possible to have a very lovely dinner if you let Isabelle know the day before.(100 francs) We had dinner there our first night, which was a great bonus. we had dinner in Pernes another night at La Dame L'oie, and it was excellent. The priceof the B&B was around 350 francs(around $70 Canadian) and that included a very nice French petit dejeuner.

Marta Nov 21st, 2000 05:44 PM

Hi Trish: <BR>We just came last week from Provence <BR>and we Loved it!!! <BR>We stayed at La Magnaneraie in Villeneuve=Avignon, and it was very nice <BR>and charming, In Aix en Provence we stayed at Chateau Le PIoline, beautiful, <BR>and a Gourmet Restaurant that it was <BR>very elegant and good food... <BR>We also went to Theoule Sur Mer in <BR>Cannes, and stayed in the Miramar Beach <BR>Hotel, on a Clift overlooking the Mediterranean that was out of this world, <BR>We Loved Cannes,San Juan Golfo,San Juan,Antibes and Cap d'antibes, Unreal, <BR>and the sea and beaches were beautiful... Have a Great Trip

trish Jan 13th, 2001 08:53 AM

thanks everyone for your suggestions. I am bumping this up to the top because I finally got the okay from the husband to start seriously thinking about the trip.

trish Jan 15th, 2001 10:12 AM

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions - please keep them coming!