Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Provence and Barcelona Help, Again, Please! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/provence-and-barcelona-help-again-please-342834/)

kansas Apr 13th, 2008 04:16 PM

Provence and Barcelona Help, Again, Please!

I am having trouble finalizing a Barcelona/Provence trip. I thought I had figured it out - after Provence, drop the car off in Montpellier, then take the Talgo Train to BCN. However, I have since decided I like the idea of an apartment rental in BCN instead of a hotel. So, getting into the city at 9:45pm suddenly doesn't sound so good. And the earlier train seems much too early on the Montpellier side of things!

I looked at other train options. I think I am reading this right - over 8 hours to make the trip from BCN to St. Remy or Avignon.

Now, does this sound like a decent idea: Fly from US to BCN, stay there for 5 nights. Then rent a car, drive to St. Remy (3 nights) and Gordes (4 nights). Then drive back to BCN, stay near the airport and then fly home.

Please let me know if this is a feasible idea. As I mentioned in a previoue post, we are mid 60's, traveling with another couple. They are coming to KC this weekend, and I would like to have some sort of trip sketched out.

Thanks again for any and all help!

danon Apr 13th, 2008 07:50 PM

Vueling flies between Nice and Barcelona for about 45 euros.
You could fly from Barcelona to Nice, rent a car there , visit Provence, drop the car and fly home from Nice.

danon Apr 13th, 2008 08:11 PM

p.s.
Iberia flies from Barcelona to Marseille - if that is a better location for you.

Ramblero Apr 13th, 2008 09:34 PM

We just reurned from 28 days in France (Ok, ok..including 2 days in Geneva). The majority of which was spent in Provence and the Côtes d'Azur.

My recommendation is either A. take the train to Aix-en-Provence and rent a car (preferably with GPS) from Europe-by-Car (pick up at the TGV station outside of Provence), wander around Provence (you MUST see Gordes, Bonnieux and Menerbes)...and Pont Garde...and the Papal Palace at Avignon and Chateauneuf-du-Pape) and Aix-en-Provence (we stayed in Aix and St. Remy de Provence (Le Mas Des Carassins...which we highly recommend...but I'm sure is fully booked), or B. fly to Avignon, rent a car, and do the same as above.

4totravel Apr 14th, 2008 03:06 AM

Your plan is absolutely doable. We did the exact same thing last year. We have a home in Maussane and we found our cheapest flights in and out of Barcelona. The drive is about 3.5-4 hours long (depending on how fast you drive) and it is an easy drive on the autoroute. We picked up and dropped our car off at BCN.

Flying sounds like it would be quicker but it isn't necessarily so - once you count the time getting to the airport, security, etc. And you're renting a car anyway so you save some $$ by driving (even with tolls and gas - especially with 4 passengers).

kansas Apr 14th, 2008 04:55 AM

Thanks for the replies!

I will re-check the flying options, Danon. I only saw flights that went to Brussels first, or even London. Added WAY to much time to the trip.

Ramblero, thanks for the sights suggestions! Our trip is not until June 2009, so Mas de Carassins is definitely at the top of our list of places to stay.

And 4totravel, I am so glad you responded and said this was absolutely do-able. As you mentioned, with four of us traveling, the car option may be most economical. And we are not afraid of driving, we did a trip last year to Normandy and Brittany.

We also learned the value of GPS!

Thanks again for the answers to my questions.

weasel Apr 14th, 2008 11:37 AM

Hi Kansas, We just got back. Flew into Barcelona, P/U car at airport booked through Auto Europe for a Intermediate wagon manual with air. We got a peugeot deisel van which was good because there were 4 of us and luggage. Cost was $332.95 Canadian total for 1 week. Deisel cheaper than gas $1.17 -$1.34/ litre. Spain cheaper than France.Arrived at 16:30 hrs via Amsterdam from Vancouver. We spent 1st night about 1 hour north of Barcelona. Just incase there was a problem with luggage making our connecting flight and we didn't want to drive 4 1/2 hrs to St. Remy after an overseas flight. We had a GPS unit which was handy in the small towns, but before hand I had used the via michelin web site to map out a route. This site was good because it also listed the toll costs, where photo radar was, and would even work out fuel costs if you input make model of car and price/ litre for fuel. Their estimated times were also bang on. We spent a week in St. Remy and then returned the car in Barcelona. Then 4 days in Barcelona and rented car again for a week around Spain ending in Madrid. No drop off charge for dropping in Madrid.

kansas Apr 14th, 2008 06:02 PM

Thanks, again, Weasel! After you had mentioned an apartment in Barcelona in one of your posts, it got me thinking again! I have never had so much trouble nailing down an itinerary. We originally even had the Cote d'Azur in this plan. I finally came to my senses and decided we were trying to do way too much. I think we just about have a decent plan. Now, we have to make sure we are in the right areas of Provence at the right times - e.g. Sunday morning to be near L'isle-Sur-la Sorgue.

Weasel, where did you stay when you were in St. Remy? So many of the places in St. Remy and the Luberon look absolutely beautiful. It will be a difficult choice!