Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Provence - Aix, Avignon, Antibes - Where to go? What to do? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/provence-aix-avignon-antibes-where-to-go-what-to-do-80642/)

provencebound Jul 25th, 2000 08:02 AM

Provence - Aix, Avignon, Antibes - Where to go? What to do?

I'm leaving in 2 weeks and will be spending 1 week in Aix-en-Provence, 2 weeks working in a small village a bit outside of Avignon, and a few days in Antibes. I will be traveling solo for the first time, and I will not have a car. I welcome any and all recommendations for things to do and see in and around these cities - places to eat, to go out at night, off the beaten path items, daytrips, etc. As you can see, I am very excited and looking for any guidance available. Thanks for your help.

Ellen Jul 25th, 2000 09:03 AM

In my time in Provence, I enjoyed Les Baux, St. Remy, Arles for its early Sat. market, Gordes and Rousillon at sunset. <BR>Avignon is great all on its own and a great restaurant is La Forchette. Do make a reservation though as it is always very busy. <BR>Have fun! <BR>Ellen <BR>

lisa Jul 25th, 2000 10:13 AM

Do not miss the Picasso Museum in Antibes. In addition to the art, the setting is spectacular.

Anthony Jul 25th, 2000 11:52 AM

Dear Provencebound, <BR> <BR>When in Aix take the bus tour out to Cezanne's atelier. It can be arranged at the tourist office. When we took it several years ago it included stops at where Cexanne painted, i.e. Mont St. Victoire. Aix is rightly called the "Paris of the South". Sit at one of the cafes with anapertif, and watch life stroll by. Enjoy the fountains. Tres belle. <BR> <BR>Anthony

elaine Jul 25th, 2000 01:34 PM

here are just a few suggestions for Avignon <BR>Tourist office: 41 cours Jean Jaures, phone 33 4 32 74 32 74. <BR> <BR>Papal Palace, former home to 9 popes in the 14th century (when the papacy had a split between Avignon and Rome). Information: phone 33 4 90 27 50 74 <BR> <BR>Avignon has a tourist train that leaves from the square in front of the papal palace <BR>(Place du Palais des Papes). It travels through the city, or up to the gardens overlooking the palace. Information: phone 33 4 90 82 64 44 <BR> <BR>Natural History Museum: 67 rue Joseph Vernet. Free admission. Phone 33 4 90 82 43 51 <BR> <BR>Grands Bateaux de Provence offers boat trips along the Rhone, ranging from short jaunts, to lunch and dinner cruises, to an excursion to Arles. Phone 33 4 90 85 62 25 <BR> <BR>Bicycle rentals: Cycles Peugeot Aymard, 80 rue Guillaume Puy. Information 33 4 50 86 32 49. <BR>

Carey Jul 25th, 2000 01:44 PM

You must check out Pont du Gard! It is a really neat Roman Aquaduct near Avignon. Also, there is a women in Avingnon who makes beautiful sterling silver and glass jewelry in the open market in the main square. I have bought many pieces from her. They make great gifts.

jayne Jul 25th, 2000 02:13 PM

In Aix, we had one of our best meals in France at Gu and Fils, right off the Cour Mirabeau (I forget which street). Peter Mayle mentions it in one of his books, so I thought it would be croweded but it wasn't at least for lunch. Too bad the Cours is under construction. We also loved St Remy for its market (Thur?) and enjoyed visiting Glanum, a Roman city, either near the city limits of St Remy or just outside. It's also next to Van Gogh's asylum--not open to the public but you can see the grounds and his inspiration for his paintings.

Patty Jul 26th, 2000 06:27 AM

I was wondering if anyone ever took the Grands Bateaux de Provence cruise in Avignon? I found information on the internet and it looks great. One of their cruises stops off at Arles, but only for an hour and a half. Is that enough time? and what about the food? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks Patty.

pb Jul 27th, 2000 04:26 AM

Thank you all so much for your help. Any other ideas?

nancy Jul 30th, 2000 05:21 AM

We rented a house just north of Carpentras last Sept. Of all the local markets we visited, our favorite was the one in tiny Bedoin on Mondays. Not so overwhelming as others - great local soaps and other products. Be sure to visit the local caves and get your wine "a la gas pump", and to stock up on bottles to bring back.