Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Provence:1 day left to plan: choose Cassis, or add day to Alpilles or Luberon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. We are almost finished with our 14-night itinerary of Provence and Riviera. Doing 3 nights St. Paul, 3 nights Luberon, 3 nights St. Remy, 1 night St. Tropez, and 3 nights Villefranche or Nice.

Have 1 more day/night, and not sure where to add it:

1. Cassis
2. St. Remy
3. Luberon

or, another suggestion?

Your advice is appreciated.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 09:53 AM

I'm not sure if you are one of the people who contacted me via e-mail and asked about help with the itinerary. You were originally going to spend 2 days in Cassis & I suggested St Tropez instead.

Anyway,I would stay in Aix en Provence. Take my St Paul to Gordes/St Remy drive that's in the itinerary I probably sent you, and stop in Aix about half way. This would allow you to do this suggested drive very leisurly, and give you the opportunity to visit this lovely city also. Aix is not really a recommended day trip from the Luberon, so visiting it on the way to the Luberon would fit in nicely. Don't do it on a Sunday, hoever, when most of the shops (if not all) will be closed.

If you don't want to add an new overnight, I would stop in Aix on the way to St Tropez, and stay 2 nights in St Tropez. During mid-day when St Tropez becomes too crowded to enjoy, visit Gassin, Ramatouelle, Bormes, & Grimaud (old town - not the port).

I recently posted my recommended St Paul to Gordes/St Remy drive - click on my name & find the thread "Desperatly seeking advice-" or something like that.

Stu Dudley

Old Mar 20th, 2005, 09:56 AM

Cassis...it is just beautiful, you can go by boat through the calaques(sp) or go on a great hike above them. I would think that you might want to do two nights either in St Tropez or Cassis and maybe just do a day trip to the other one.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 09:56 AM

We did the same area tour you are preparing for and loved everything we saw and did. We left 1 day and night to "wander" without any reservations and ended up in Casis. It was magical. We stayed in a small inn close to the harbor called Jardin d'Emile. I could be spelling it incorrectly but you 'll be able to find it from that. It was in a guide book that we had in the car and we really got lucky. It was not expensive but fabulous view of the blu, blue sea, privacy, and adjacent to residential area of cliff homes that I couldn't get enough pictures of.
Do you have St. Remy booked yet? Hotel Chateau des Alpilles was wonderful. We missed dinner while we were staying there one night and the chef prepared something he could just make up and it was the best meal we had. It was served in the court yard garden instead of the dining room which we loved all the more. I took a picture of the meal!
Hope this helps.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:56 PM

I spent 8 days in Provence last Sept. Drove all over. Don't miss Cassis. I stopped there on my way from Nice to Marseille. The next day, I drove back for a second visit to Cassis. You can take a boat ride to see the Calanques. It's a charming town. You can sit at the outdoor cafes overlooking the harbor in the late afternoon. Someone REAL famous owns the beautiful hilltop castle overlooking the harbor.Winding streets. Wonderful people. DON'T MISS IT.