protective pouches for film

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read that if you place film in your checked baggage you should have protective pouches for the film. Is this the case if you carry film in your carry-on bag?
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 04:53 PM

What speed film are you using ?

If you are anything below ISO800, I wouldn't bother with the protective pouches. Many people also get their film developed before coming home ~

If the x-ray scanner can't see what it in the pouches, they will turn up the power of the x-ray until they can see it.

Can we talk you into digital?
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 06:20 PM

I don't think you should -ever- put your film into checked baggage. When I was still into film, I took the cartridges out of the cases, put them into a big baggie and also kept a lead bag. If a hand-check of the baggie was declined, then I put the baggie into the lead bag and put it thru the machine. But never in checked luggage - that's a much stronger scan.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 06:25 PM

wow. FILM?

Old Sep 18th, 2006, 06:37 PM

wow. FILM?

That was my first thought, but just this past week my wife planted the seed -- she missed her film camera. It broke (leaks light) after a trip to Ireland about 3 years ago. Guess what she's getting for Christmas.

I love my digital -- I'm on my second one and just learning how to operate the darn thing with all the options.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 06:41 PM

< I don't think you should -ever- put your film into checked baggage. >

Last trip had to (thanks Evile Turrists) check all the film. Despite going through cargo X-ray machines at Heathrow, Madrid & Havana - and back again, the film was perfectly OK
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 06:51 PM

You should always carry film in your carry-on, in a lead lined pouch, and request that it be hand searched. Even 400 ASA file can be damaged by an X-Ray machine.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 07:17 PM

I always carry it in hand luggage. I keep a supply of empty clear/translucent film cannisters, and make sure that all my rolls of unexposed film are in that type. Then all the cannisters go into a ziploc bag. I think it helps when the screening folks can see actual film through the packaging.

When I don't space out, I request hand screening of the film - and of any exposed rolls. I usually have a couple dozen rolls.

One time the screening guy said to me, "I'll have to swab each roll individually." I told him that was fine with me, as I had plenty of time. He swabbed one, maybe two, then scooped them all back up and gave them to me.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 07:29 PM

Even in a pouch you do not put film in checked in luggage. X-rays are culumulative. For that reason I use a pouch, This means that my carry-on luggage gets pulled and hand checked every time because the x-ray cannot penetrate the lead of the bag.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 07:33 PM

<<You should always carry film in your carry-on, in a lead lined pouch, and request that it be hand searched. Even 400 ASA file can be damaged by an X-Ray machine.>>

Robert, you are so right. I have had damage previous to my lead bag, even though they said it was safe because the speed was under 800.

Now, with my great Domke lead bag, perfect film, no damage, happy Tiff.

(Budman, I am still trying to figure out my digital, lol--sometimes its great, other times disaster, I am clueless--my 35mm never fails me, never ever!)