Search

Ballet in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2015, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ballet in Paris

I will be in Paris for one week beginning May 25 and would love to go to a ballet performance. Any tips appreciated. Thank you!
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 07:13 AM

You need to get on line and see what ballets are offered on your dates. There are two potential locations, Garnier and Bastille. You should be able to buy a ticket on line at this point in time. If the show is sold out, you may be able to get a return ticket the day of the show, DW and I did this last March. I required us to arrive early and get in line for returns. As I recall, the returns become available as early as 2:00 p.m.
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 08:15 AM

What kind of tips do you want? They have a website and you can buy tickets on it, so same as if you were buying at home, more or less. Only diff from some websites is I think they still haven't included a seating chart, so you can only tell general section of your ticket. Bastille has a larger stage so some larger-scale ballets may be performed there but most people want to go for the building primarily, so want to go to the Garnier. They do a lot there, also, depends on your dates.

According to the calendar, they are doing Giselle at the Garnier beginning 5/28 (5/27 only for young people). That is its opening date, so if you want tickets to that, you need to buy them well in advance as they do often sell out.
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Christina and apersuader65, after searching I found the website. Thanks to you both for your input. Tickets for Giselke go on sale January 14, so I will attempt to purchase then. Happy New Year!
Old Dec 30th, 2015, 08:20 AM

Kraines, please note, the tickets for Giselle go on sale on the 12th of January, not the 14th. While you will likely not have a sellout in two days, it appears as though this date is likely the only one corresponding with your presence.

I sat on my hands for a day too long last year for on-line tickets to Le Lac des Cygnes at Bastille and when we arrived in Paris I had to go sit in line to get the returns. Same price tickets, I just had to sit in line for 4 hours.

DW was pleased though, so it's all good.
Old Dec 30th, 2015, 03:56 PM

In general, if people want to see something at Opera Garnier, or at Bastille, consider registering with the Opera de Paris site: email notifications of ticket sales, advance sales and an easy way to book online.

I wasn't that impressed by the programming for 2016, but Batsheva Dance Company is excellent and we booked that, for January. Many tickets still on available. I guess modern dance is not as popular as the "classical" stuff

Giselle at Garnier sounds good. Not that keen on the Ballet of Opera de Paris, and the orchestra is the conservatoire graduates orchestra, but it will be nice to see Giselle at its traditional home, so to speak.

They're doing Rosenkavalier at Bastille, with Anja Harteros. That would be my choice, but Bastille is not Garnier of course.
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 11:08 PM

You can also just go to the box office at either theatre on the day of the performance to see if tickets are available. There are usually some returns (often pricey), but also cheap seats up in the rafters. I recommend going when the box office opens and being first in line.
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 09:04 PM

menachem posted:

"In general, if people want to see something at Opera Garnier, or at Bastille, consider registering with the Opera de Paris site: email notifications of ticket sales, advance sales and an easy way to book online."

Thanks for the tip, menachem. I would love to get email notifications for upcoming ballet performances. I tried looking for webpage without success - only found an opera newsletter request page.

Would you please post a url?

Many thanks!
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 04:01 AM

https://www.operadeparis.fr/en/season-15-16/ballet

If you create an account, you'll be on their email list automatically.
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Well, I registered as everyone suggested. When I returned from work at a little after noon today, all seats were gone for May 25 through May 31....it said seats not available. Oh well...
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 11:46 AM

Kraines, I'd keep checking. The only date available currently is June 13, but I suspect some of the other days will come available, especially since all dates are available for those who join the opera supporters for an additional fee. I'm searching for May 30, 31 or June 1 myself, so if it comes open, I'll report here.
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you apersuader65, I will keep checking and do the same for you.
Old Jan 24th, 2016, 04:16 PM

Thanks menachem. I just registered!
Old Mar 1st, 2016, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

apersuader65. just an FYI that I was able to purchase ballet tickets yesterday. I did not print them at the time or download them and the online purchasing is down at this time. But I paid for them!
Old Mar 1st, 2016, 09:21 AM

I saw them this morning and came here to update the post for you!

The site only has 1 ticket available in my price range. Funny, but there were numerous tickets in the 150 euro per price range.

We may just have to tour the Opera Garnier instead of see Giselle.

Oh well.
Old Mar 1st, 2016, 09:26 AM

apersuader65: that's how it is, sadly. I'm shooting for Maguy Marin in May, not in the optima category of seats. I must also say that most interesting stuff is at Bastille.

Have you looked into attending public rehearsals or sessions with the Conservatoire students?
Old Mar 1st, 2016, 09:51 AM

menachem: I agree. I've looked at the dates we're in Paris (first part of trip is in Normandy) and these are the only days available. I agree with the Bastille, but DW and I saw Swan Lake there last March. We are coming this time with friends who've never been to Europe, and we're staying within walking distance of Garnier so were hoping to "kill two birds with one stone" and see Garnier (sans tour), and see a ballet.

I sat in line for 4+ hours to snatch a couple of returns at 35 euro pp in March at Bastille, I may be in store for that here too.
Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Just an fyi that I purchased my tickets! 65 Euro....not bad!