Reload this Page >

Proper Attire in London

Search

Proper Attire in London

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 06:45 PM
Pam

Proper Attire in London

I will be in London next week. For general sightseeing, will my husband and I be OK in sneakers and shorts? Any exceptions? Should I assume that acceptable dress in London for dinner and for theatres is the same as in New York City? <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 06:51 PM
Marlena

You might do a search on the word sneakers and get a whole lot of opinions on the subject. <BR> <BR>Marlena <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 07:19 PM
Ben Haines

<BR>That's a good point on sneakers. <BR> <BR>On the street, if like me you're tubby or fat then slacks are kinder to others than shorts. And even if you've kept your figures, shorts and shirts in black, dark blue, white and khaki look better on the street than primary colours. <BR> <BR>In the theatre, on the other hand, dress is relaxed, and anything goes, from tuxedo to shirt and shorts. I hear that tourists dress up to go to tourist blockbuster musicals. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to London. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines <BR>

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 07:30 PM
Shelley

If you want to stand out in the crowd as being American, wear shorts, jeans or sneakers. The English do not dress like that. However, we are Americans and when in London, if the weather is warm, my husband does wear shorts --- but not sneakers or levis. If not shorts, then Dockers, or something similar. After our recent return from England with my sister, she commented that next time she goes to London she will dress a bit more sophisticated. In her shorts and birkenstocks, she felt a little underdressed. <BR> <BR>As for the theatre, Ben is right. You see everything, but mostly dress casual. No need for men to wear a tie or jacket. For dinner, it depends on where you want to eat. Anything goes in a pub, but you would want to NOT wear shorts to most restaurants. <BR> <BR>You will have a fabulous time, I am sure! And, take an umbrella!

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 08:54 PM
l

Hi Pam, <BR> <BR>I just returned from London and it was extremely hot and humid the whole time we were there (12 days of sunshine!) <BR> <BR>Most people in London wear pants or skirts since they are working. Lots of Londoners wear jeans. My husband and I wore shorts and t-shirts most of the time, we did not care if we looked like tourists (after all, that's what we were) it was so hot, we just wanted to be comfortable. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip, you will love London!

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 04:59 AM
Pat

I already posted this story, but I can't resist posting it again in answer to your question. My family and I were in London at the end of June. I had followed all the debates on this board about jeans and tennis shoes and looking like a tourist, so I was a little nervous about what to wear. Since I'm a jeans and tennis shoes sort of person, that's mostly what I took along with some khaki slacks and leather shoes just in case. On our 2nd day, we met my husband's cousin who is a native Londoner. Not wanting to look like a dumb American tourist, I wore khaki slacks and leather shoes. I almost laughed out loud when the cousin (a guy in his forties), showed up dressed in workout type pants, a t-shirt, and running shoes. He said that he works out of his house and this is mostly what he wears unless he has a business meeting. We wore jeans (it wasn't warm enough for shorts) and tennis shoes the rest of the time and didn't feel out of place. We didn't go to the theatre and since we were travelling with kids, all of our meals were at casual places.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 05:44 AM
hiho

You gotta love these clothes postings! Is this for real or what??? I have stated b4 and I shall state again.....Americans in Europe should dress up - no shorts, no t-shirts, no primary colors (only black), and of course, NO SNEAKERS. OR JEANS. <BR> <BR>Europeans would never be caught dead in such attire. I doubt there are even a pair of jeans ont he whole entire continent - from Gibralter to Spitsbergen, from Istanbul to the Aran Islands.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 07:26 AM
egg

I'd say smart casual. Of course you see people in shorts in London, but my rule would be don't wear them unless you are under 35 in age and waist measurement. At the theatre, again smart casual although most women dress up a little. Some expensive restaurants demand a kacket tie but will lend them if you haven't got one. Personally, I'd err on the side of formal as in jacket and tie. <BR>Some of the more upmarket shops e.g. Harrods also have a dress code.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 07:59 AM
MaureenGP

I plead guilty to posting notes in the past asking for advice on packing for Europe. But, after a trip to Spain last summer, and our recent return from England and France, I think people should wear what is comfortable and in good taste (no halter tops at Notre Dame, for instance). I did not much notice what people were wearing in London and Paris because I was too busy looking at the Tower of London and the Eiffel Tower to pay any attention. Let's face it, most of the people at these sites are tourists anyway, so you will see all kinds of attire. I am of an age where I don't wear jeans or shorts anyway, and I like to dress up a bit when I'm on a trip, but I would not have felt out of place if I did wear jeans or sneakers. My teenage daughter did, and didn't get any nasty looks that I noticed. Of course, when she wore cute little sundresses, she did get noticed, but that's another matter entirely! The important thing, beyond the clothing, is to be polite and courteous to the people you meet.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 09:26 AM
AnnaC

Where do people get this idea that Londoners don't wear jeans and trainers (that's what we call sneakers, by the way)? Outside work and except in hot weather, most of my friends live in jeans and about half of them always wear trainers with them. <BR> <BR>It does depend on your age - as people get older, they are less likely to wear jeans, but honestly, no-one will be able to tell you are American if you dress this way, whatever your age. What gives away that you are a tourist is your camera, bum bag (fanny pack), map and American accent! You cannot pretend to be local, so why try? You would have to wear something really wild to offend anyone in London, so wear whatever you feel comfortable in, accept the fact that everyone will know you are a tourist as soon as you open your mouth, if not before, relax and have a great holiday! <BR> <BR>I usually go on holiday to the Far East - I know I will stand out as a tourist there, being blonde and blue-eyed, as is my fiance who is also 6'2". I don't worry about it, I just make sure I don't dress in a way which will offend, and get on with having a good time.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 05:59 AM
Janie

London is one of the busiest tourist spots in the world - you are all tourists! Sneakers will be fine. <BR>Dress code for theatre is fairly casual (I think this is wrong!). You will get into the theatre in trainers. But ideally, it would be nice to at lesat wear a casual skirt and shirt. <BR>When I travel into Europe, I usually take a long black linen skirt, a couple of nice little tshirts/tank tops, and a pair of flat black walking shoes (trainer type NOT white)! Just be comfortable. London has NO dress code. Be yourself, be comfortable.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 04:21 PM
Linda

If you're in London, just look around. The first time you see a teenager with purple, pink and orange hair (all on one head), you'll stop worrying what about what you're wearing, as long as it is clean, neat, and respectful. The thing is, few people are paying attention to that multi-colored head--fewer are paying attention to what you are wearing.