Proper attire for London theatre.

Apr 11th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Aaron

Proper attire for London theatre.

My mom and I are heading to London soon. When attending London theatre should we dress up or is casual OK? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Apr 11th, 2002, 09:33 AM
kate

To be honest you can wear anything you like, you'll see everything from jeans to cocktail dresses, with most people somewhere inbetween.

Apr 11th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Patrick

I wouldn't dress like a slob, but one thing to keep in mind is that most theatres in London have very tight and cramped seating, and generally tend to be very warm (except I seem to nearly freeze to death at The National). Try to be comfortable. I'd avoid things like bulky sweaters.

Apr 11th, 2002, 09:44 AM
elaine

casual, however you define it for yourself, is fine, I was surprised a couple of months ago how very casual most people in the audience were, on weeknights anyway.

Apr 11th, 2002, 10:15 AM
oldMcdonald

hey, i have an idea--what about cargo pants with zippers so you can make them into shorts!

Apr 11th, 2002, 11:11 AM
femaletheatre

I'd put on a dress for an evening performance. It doesn't have to be a cocktail dress but something a bit more dressy than I'd wear during the day. For a matinee, I'd probably wear a skirt and blouse.

Apr 11th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Jeff

Trust me...no matter how you dress, you will find many others dressed the same way.

And they will be most happy to see you, sell you a ticket and have you attend the performance