Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Private Transfer Recommendations: Zurich airport to Colmar, France

Old Oct 30th, 2022, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can Google for recommendations, but I'd rather crowdsource here since it's more trustworthy.
Does anyone have any experience-based recommendations for a private transfer from the Zurich Airport to Colmar, France?

Old Oct 31st, 2022, 10:04 AM

A taxi flight will cost about 5000 EUR.
Probably nobody in this forum will have expereince in this matter.
Old Oct 31st, 2022, 10:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Well, since your not getting a lot of responses…. You can take a train with a connection in Basel in less than 2 hours or there are some direct buses from Zurich to Colmar. Check rome2rio.com.
Old Oct 31st, 2022, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neckervd View Post
A taxi flight will cost about 5000 EUR.
Probably nobody in this forum will have expereince in this matter.
Five thousand? Or hundred?
Old Oct 31st, 2022, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joannyc View Post
Well, since your not getting a lot of responses…. You can take a train with a connection in Basel in less than 2 hours or there are some direct buses from Zurich to Colmar. Check rome2rio.com.
I looked at this, but I don’t think our flight gets in at a time that will allow us to clear immigration and get to the train.
Old Oct 31st, 2022, 10:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Catching the train would only take 2 hours which is about what a car would take. They run pretty often. (hourly?)

Why would you use an outmoded mechanism like a car to do what you can do in the comfort of a train. Not knowing where you are coming from but jetlag may put you and others in danger. Relax, use the train....

Old Oct 31st, 2022, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bilboburgler View Post
Catching the train would only take 2 hours which is about what a car would take. They run pretty often. (hourly?)

Why would you use an outmoded mechanism like a car to do what you can do in the comfort of a train. Not knowing where you are coming from but jetlag may put you and others in danger. Relax, use the train....
we’ll be coming from Venice, so we’ll already be time adjusted.

there just aren’t many good options from Venice.
Old Oct 31st, 2022, 12:39 PM

€500 is I think what neckervd meant.

Train is possible all the way from Venice. Yes it involves some changes and take a day but even flying and train or car takes nearly as long with getting to the airport sitting around getting out again and then on to Colmar.
If you must fly have you looked at flying to Basel and then the train?
Old Oct 31st, 2022, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hetismij2 View Post
€500 is I think what neckervd meant.

Train is possible all the way from Venice. Yes it involves some changes and take a day but even flying and train or car takes nearly as long with getting to the airport sitting around getting out again and then on to Colmar.
If you must fly have you looked at flying to Basel and then the train?
yes, we’ve looked at flying, but with no nonstop flight from Venice to Basel, we’d have to connect somewhere (and in many cases have a long layover).
Old Oct 31st, 2022, 01:59 PM

It sounds like your flight to Zurich gets in too late to catch a train to Colmar - is that correct?

For travel Venice to Colmar, take a look at taking the train the whole way. It's about 8hours but would be scenic and relaxing. Flying would not be heaps quicker if you count door to door travel. bahn.de will show timetables the whole way.
Old Oct 31st, 2022, 02:07 PM

As I suggested the train is probably as easy and not much longer. Do look into it please. It will save a ton of pollution.

Don't EasyJet fly direct Venice-Basel? Or maybe not on the day you want to travel.
Old Oct 31st, 2022, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dreamon View Post
It sounds like your flight to Zurich gets in too late to catch a train to Colmar - is that correct?
Correct.

Would this train offer some sort of class upgrade so we can relax?
Old Oct 31st, 2022, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hetismij2 View Post
Don't EasyJet fly direct Venice-Basel? Or maybe not on the day you want to travel.
They don't seem to have this direct option in June.
Old Oct 31st, 2022, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

For travel Venice to Colmar, take a look at taking the train the whole way. It's about 8hours but would be scenic and relaxing. Flying would not be heaps quicker if you count door to door travel. bahn.de will show timetables the whole way.
Everything I pulled up on that site shows 14-20 hours of travel time; perhaps I did something wrong?
Old Oct 31st, 2022, 03:34 PM

That doesn't sound right, much too long.

I used bahn.de and put in departure from Venice (which it takes to be Mestre so slightly longer from Santa Lucia station) to Colmar on 10th November. Journey times start from around 8hrs with 3 changes. Take a picnic if you like.

Let us know if you need help. Note that if you put in a date that's too far in the future, not all timetables will be loaded yet. First class is available on many trains (especially the long distance ones) but I've found second class to be fine. Having luggage you can easily manage is helpful. Tickets purchased in advance are often cheaper but with limitations on changes.

If you can break the journey for an overnight stay there are some wonderful options enroute.

Last edited by dreamon; Oct 31st, 2022 at 03:37 PM.
Old Oct 31st, 2022, 04:38 PM

I used Swiss Taxi. Com to drive me from the Zurich Airport to Lucerne. They were very satisfactory. I realize Colmar is further but I might try them.
Old Oct 31st, 2022, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

That doesn't sound right, much too long.

I used bahn.de and put in departure from Venice (which it takes to be Mestre so slightly longer from Santa Lucia station) to Colmar on 10th November. Journey times start from around 8hrs with 3 changes. Take a picnic if you like.

Let us know if you need help. Note that if you put in a date that's too far in the future, not all timetables will be loaded yet. First class is available on many trains (especially the long distance ones) but I've found second class to be fine. Having luggage you can easily manage is helpful. Tickets purchased in advance are often cheaper but with limitations on changes.
I'll try to attach a screenshot; perhaps June is still too far out?

Old Oct 31st, 2022, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

If you can break the journey for an overnight stay there are some wonderful options enroute.
I wouldn't mind that; I'm open to suggestions.
Old Oct 31st, 2022, 06:44 PM

Yes, June is too far away, tickets are unlikely to be available yet.
Old Oct 31st, 2022, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Yes, June is too far away, tickets are unlikely to be available yet.
That makes sense; I'm open to suggestions on overnights. Looks like Lugano might be halfway between Venice and Colmar?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -