Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   private tour of Romania - would you recommend Carpathian Travel Center? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/private-tour-of-romania-would-you-recommend-carpathian-travel-center-884738/)

NinaSearching Apr 1st, 2011 06:58 AM

private tour of Romania - would you recommend Carpathian Travel Center?

I have never taken an organized tour in my life, and never thought I would want to. But I have been traveling on my own since January, and at this point am just exhausted with planning. I also have a dear friend who just returned from Romania and did not feel safe there traveling alone at night.

I've already booked a flight in/out of Bucharest for April 12-21. I know that I want to explore other areas, but as I said, I am exhausted with travel planning and have not done anything with figuring out trains, hotels, etc.

So, with that as background ... I can get a private tour / guide from Carpathian Travel Center (www.visit-transylvania.com.ro) for 8 days (includes driver/guide, hotels, breakfast & dinner each day, entry fees where applicable). The cost is $1200.

If anyone ever used this company before, I'd appreciate any feedback on them. Or if you have other recommendations for guides.

Oh, the tour itinerary (headlines only):

Day 1 (Tu.): Arrival in Bucharest - City tour in Bucharest (50 km)
Day 2 (We.): Bucharest - Ploiesti - Sinaia - Brasov (190 km)
Day 3 (Th.): The Middle Aged City Brasov and Citadels of the Bârsa Land (60 km)
Day 4 (Fr.): Fortified churches and citadels in the Carpathian Arch - the gateway to Moldavia (310 km)
Day 5 (Sa.): UNESCO-World Cultural Heritage in Bukowina: Humor - Voronet - Sucevita - Moldovita (210 km)
Day 6 (Su.): Gura Humorului – Bistrita – Sighisoara (270 km)
Day 7 (Mo.): Sighisoara - Biertan - Medias - Sibiu (110 km)
Day 8 (Tu.): Sibiu - Bucharest

So, feedback on the company or on the itinerary would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sam_CelRoman Apr 1st, 2011 08:13 AM

Never heard of that company but your itinerary sounds comprehensive - busy but looks like you'll see most of the good parts of this country!

FloridaFlirt Apr 7th, 2011 09:10 PM

We used the excellent Compass Travel Romania (www.tours-of-romania.com) which was recommended as "the tour company" when it comes to private tours. We were most happy. I guess this is probably to late but our tour in October 2009 was very similar to yours. Too bad you don't spend a few days in Maramures since you will be in Bucovina and it's a ride of around three hours from one area to the other.

If the Citadels of the Barsa Land are the fortified churches, you may as well pass. They are interesting but are all the same. One is enough with Biertan being the best while you may use you time for a better cause.

I wonder what you are going to do in Ploiesti. There is nothing much except for Soviet type apartments (lots!) and a couple of refineries bombed by the Allies during WW 2.

We paid the same but our tour was three days longer. We ended up paying $1,565 for 11 full days. There were lots of extra features which were not initially shown on the itinerary, we basically were in for a nice surprise on daily basis.

Romania is just lovely and we'd return any time. But there are lots of other countries waiting for us...

4evertravel Jun 3rd, 2012 08:41 AM

We went to Romania with Compass Travel Romania last fall. It was a superior experience from all standpoints. Highly recommended.

valtor Jun 3rd, 2012 08:57 AM

4evertravel, did you note that OP went to Romania more than one year ago?

I asked once Fodor's to include in info of each thread when it started, but probably they consider that this is not needed. However, with so many old messages reactivated in the last month, I still consider that my suggestion is a good one.