Private Tour/Group Tour - Tipping - Please

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2014, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm Travelling with a friend that is resistent to tipping.It causes me much pain. Could I please have feedback regarding tour tipping? Is it different it the tour guide is on his own/not with a company?

Thank you so much!!

Livinright
Old May 10th, 2014, 05:27 AM

If you have the money to pay for a very expensive private tour you certainly have the money to tip the guide.

If you are being guided by the owner of a large company (can;t imagine this ever happens) I suppose that might be an excuse not to tip. But if this is a regular tour guide a tip is always expected and appropriate.

Does your friend try to stiff cab drivers and waitstaff too? If so I suggest another travel companion - or you may find yourself on the short end of a whole lot of other expenses.
Old May 10th, 2014, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, NY Traveler. The problem is that she tips, but it always seems to be not quite enough.... The result is that I make up the difference and I feel "put upon".

With all the searching done on the internet, it is not difficult to find individuals that are happy to make little extra money sharing their knowledge and enthusiasm for their city with travelers. In this case, my friend will often refer to the old idea that you do not tip the owner. It is part of the fee charged. Maybe I'm wrong to tip when the tour was well liked?

I have already told my two oldest and dearest friend that our next trip is to Cape Cod or Maine where we rent a house, do not need to plan extensively, and tipping situations will be much more limited!!! We have been friends forever, but traveled to Europe for the first time only recently. It was so much fun, but I promised myself not to subsidize on the next trip. We will be meeting Monday night and I have already brought up the fact that tipping needs to be discussed and budgeted!

Percentages to be used as a guideline for tour tipping would be so appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Old May 10th, 2014, 06:05 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
are you American? If so . . . You would tip MUCH less in Europe than is probably your custom in the States. So in this case she actually might be right.
Old May 10th, 2014, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

That is exactly the discussion! We are Americans, and I do tend to over tip rather than under tip when I am unsure. She could be right and I could be wrong. I don't mind admitting I am wrong and saving a few dollars.

I am trying to sort through this with a little help..so needed!!

We are going to Turkey. Percentages would be so helpful.

Thanks a bunch!
Old May 10th, 2014, 06:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You already posted a thread on tipping in Turkey. otherchelebi is a Turk, and lives there. What part of his post did you notunderstand?

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...omment-8703998

See also: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/turkey/p...on/money-costs
Old May 10th, 2014, 06:41 AM

Here's my input! It is difficult to have everyone on the same page as far as tipping is concerned - we've been there, done that. I agree that if someone provides excellent services then you should tip accordingly. As noted, we here in the USA are used to tipping for most everything, 20% for restaurants, etc. We travel quite a bit and always tip well. We have traveled w/ others who do not tip well and that really annoys us (my DH & I). When we cruise they automatically add your tips onto your cruise bill but we still give more if we have received wonderful service from the ship's personnel. They do appreciate it.

When we first started going to Europe on cruises, we automatically thought that you tipped the same as we do here. However, it is not always an expected thing to tip. Europeans do not expect tips (at least this is what we have found out) but still give 100% of their services. Of course, there will be exceptions to this.

I started organizing my own private tours in the ports we visited several years ago and would collect our tour payment from those participating in the tour prior to the tour, sometimes on the day of the tour but most always at a pre-arranged place onboard the ship. I used to only collect the exact amount of the tour and left tips up to everyone's discretion. I would find that not everyone would tip the tour guide by doing it this way. I talked to friends that also organized private tours and they had the same experience of people not tipping. I then decided to add a tip into the amount collected for the tour and this worked very well because everyone would have to tip or not go on the tour. I found that the "average" tip given to European tour guides (and elsewhere) was 10% and more if an excellent tour. The guides are so happy to receive anything extra above the amount of the tour! As I said they don't expect extra. Perhaps others will disagree with this but we have done many tours.

Turkey - we have been to Istanbul and Ephesus - my 2 favorite places! We had a wonderful tour guide for 3 days of touring and I added a nice tip into what I collected. So I would say that 10% would be minimum you should tip.

You should also not have to pay extra for your friend's "cheapness" (no getting around it, that's what we call those that don't tip or tip little). Pay what you feel is right and do not put in extra tip money for your friend. Why would she tip better when she knows you will put in the extra $$ for her!

When you have your meeting about your next trip I would discuss tours and tipping and see what reaction you get. Better to air it and let your friends know how you feel. You might even suggest that you all put your tour money together in an envelope so it's all a done deal before you get to your tour. I would tell your friends that you are suggesting adding in 10% tip at that time.

I collect all monies and put in an envelope and put it aside til the morning of the tour. It's so nice not to have to worry about the money and you can go off and enjoy your tour.

We have found that tour guides in Europe work very hard to provide an excellent tour and receiving a "tip" is not their focus. I do think it is nice to give them that extra bit of money for their efforts.

Good luck. Feel free to ask any other questions.
Old May 10th, 2014, 06:50 AM

I did not see the previous post before I submitted mine but thought I'd add another 2 cents to that post.

Good post by otherchelbi! Good guidelines to follow as far as restaurants, hotel porters, etc. Taxis - we have rounded up our fare as well. As others have noted on the other thread, some tip and some don't, matter of personal opinion. I feel that tips are a reward for going above and beyond what is expected of them. JMO .....

Livinright did ask specific questions about tours so that is what I based my reply on. Let's give her a break here! I feel her pain about the tipping problem cause we have had it happen many times in group situations!
Old May 10th, 2014, 07:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
" As noted, we here in the USA are used to tipping for most everything, 20% for restaurants, etc. We travel quite a bit and always tip well. We have traveled w/ others who do not tip well and that really annoys us"

" I feel that tips are a reward for going above and beyond what is expected of them. "

In the US tips are not a reward, they are part of the receivers' salary. In countries where people are paid a proper salary and tips are not expected it is not a good idea to import US customs. Would you applaud someone importing their non-tipping customs to the US? My UK sister will visit me in the US for the first time this year, and I will explain US customs regarding tipping to her before she arrives. Equally, when I go back to the UK I tip according to UK norms, not US ones. Please don't export US tipping customs to other countries.
Old May 10th, 2014, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone, for the suggestions and help. I was especially pleased to see my first two replies were from nytraveler and janisj, two of my long time favorite posters.

Luv2travel15, I especially thank you for your empathy and helpfulness. I will move forward taking your advice.I appreciate both the specifics and the personal experience references. So great. As I mentioned earlier, I will be meeting with my friends on Monday night. I may indeed post back with fresh questions. Merci!

Thursdaysd, I understand your frustration. I too, notice duplicate posts and it can be annoying. However, I re-requested specifically regarding tours because it was not covered in otherchelebi's reply. Also, I found it interesting that with the exception of tipping for restaurnants and taxis, which were slightly lower than the US, that the tipping was pretty much on par with the US? He also states emphatically that tipping is expected in Turkey and relied upon. The mistake I made in my post for Turkey was that I especially needed advie for tour guides and made the post about tipping in general. So I appreciate the forbearance!

Livinright
Old May 10th, 2014, 08:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just to be clear that the tipping culture in Turkey is very different from the rest of Europe.
Old May 10th, 2014, 08:53 AM

<<with the exception of tipping for restaurnants and taxis, which were slightly lower than the US...>>

Not slightly lower, WAY, WAY lower.
Old May 10th, 2014, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

You are so right! I think I am afraid of sounding like a tipping fool!!
Old May 10th, 2014, 10:12 AM

I would suggest you try to decouple your behavior from other people and not feel responsible for what they do. Why should you? Do want you want and feel right, and stop trying to tell other people what to do nor to feel responsible for them. I don't agree with those who think you should not travel with such a person. They have their ideas and budget, and you have yours.

Does your travel companion try to tell you want to do about tipping? If no, don't tell her unless asked.

And I personally don't think expensive private guides should be tipped, they are already getting paid well and have set the rate themself, it sounds like. I think it is silly to tip someone working for him or herself who has set the rate for their services.

I've been with people who don't tip as much as I do in some cases, and I don't feel responsible to make up for them, why should I? I don't make up for everyone else in the place, either.