private tour from cruise port in Naples

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for any suggestions and recommended tour companies for a small-ish group of 8 or 10 people. Our ship will be docking in Naples on a Sunday in September. Thank you for your helpful replies.
Old May 24th, 2013, 12:24 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
What are you wanting to tour?
Old May 24th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

I would like to see Pompeii. That's #1 on my list. Followed by Sorrento, Capri and Positano; not necessarily in that order. The ship is in port from 7AM, which means we might be able to get off at 8AM, and then leaves at 6:30PM. I am not sure, time wise, what all I can visit. I would need a tour that picks you up at the port.
Old May 24th, 2013, 01:00 PM

Pompeii will take a while, and should be your #1 choice. You are going to be there at least 2 hours. Definitely skip Sorrento, it's the least beautiful place. Go to Positano and walk around, and maybe Ravello or another town recommended by your guide. I wonder if Capri takes too long for what you get, others will opine and you decide.
Old May 24th, 2013, 01:03 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't think you have time for all three and I can't imagine any tour that could get you to all three. You would need to take a ferry/hydrfoil to Capri (easy to do from the port in Naples). Unless you hire a private boat, that's the only way to get there. A tour company would have to book you onto the same transport. They won't have their own boats to get you there and if you found a private boat/tour it wouldn't include Pompeii.

To visit Capri, you would have to factor the transport time and once you arrive, transport on the island (bus to Anacapri, funicular to Capri town). Depends on what you would want to see.

You could book a tour to Pompeii and Sorrento that provides bus or van transport. You could also just take a ferry/hydrofoil from Naples port to Sorrento on your own, visit Sorrento a few hours, hop the local train to Pompeii (the entrance is just across the street from the Pompeii station) and train back to Naples.

I would visit the furthest location first and work your way back towards port (Pompeii is closest to your port) so you can cut something short if you are running out of time.

You could hire a private driver/limo to take you to Positano (about two hours travel by road from Naples), back to Sorrento (about an hour from Positano) and then stop at Pompeii (about 30 minutes travel from Sorrento) and then to the port (another 30-40 minutes).
Old May 24th, 2013, 01:53 PM

To the OP, are you familiar with cruisecritic.com as a web site for cruisers? If not, you really should take a look there. You might find what you are looking for (as well as possible shipboard cruisemates for your sailing).
Old May 24th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice. I have been on cruise critic and wanted to get other opinions as well. I'm pleased to see the comments here and will keep them in mind. On cruise critic, I don't think any questions are really welcomed unless you are on that particular cruise date departure but I am not sure.
Old May 24th, 2013, 03:11 PM

At cruicecritic, you could ask your question in the Ports of Call section--it's just the Roll Calls that are designed to connect passengers on a particular sailing.

We were very happy with www.tourofitaly.com
Old May 24th, 2013, 03:12 PM

You can ask this question under the Ports Of Call section of cruise critic. I have been asking questions and commenting on cruises/tours for years.

That being said, I was on a cruise last fall that stopped in Naples. I used AP Tours and was very happy with their services. I would not hesitate to use them again.
http://www.aptours.it/
Old May 24th, 2013, 04:30 PM

So Pompeii is definite?

Your tour guide would have to be a licensed 'Pompeii tour guide' in able to lead your group there.

If not your tour group would have to hire one, so an extra cost.

That's how it has been for years and I doubt it has changed.

Once you decide on where else besides Pompeii you are going and how many (for bus size) you might try www.contextnaples.com for a private small group tour with transportation.

Sorrento and Pompeii would be a good choice timewise.

But personally with roughly a 10hr window, I would do Pompeii and return to Naples with for a guided tour (pizza lunch, Archaeological Museum, historic walk).

If I was going to do this with ContextNaples I would email them this agenda and see if they would do it?

Driver *only* pick-up at the dock 8:30 to Pompeii to be met by Pompeii tour guide (booked by Context) for a 3hr tour (9:30-12:30) and guide returns group to bus (guide and driver can phone each other).

And they are a business so *if* they did this (tranportation and Pompeii guide) there would be a commission charge of course.

1:30 Naples drop-off and meet Context guide for 4-hr private group tour.

I would dump the bus transportation at the 1:30 drop-off and have the guide call for 2 5-passenger taxis ~5:30.

So 5hr bus and driver cost, Pompeii guide 3hr cost, 4hr private group tour cost and taxi transportation.

If not and they want their guide to be with you the whole time for business reasons (reputation, legal, etc) then it's a 9hrs vs 4hrs cost.
But you would get a narative on the sights, eruption, Q&A, etc on the bus journey.

Just a Thought. Good Luck!
Old May 24th, 2013, 06:29 PM
WWK

Check out Guemar Travel or Francesco Marrapese, both based in Sorrento.
Old May 24th, 2013, 08:36 PM

On our last cruise we just took a cab to Pompeii and back. They waited for us, but there were plenty available. And if not, it is very easy to take the train back.

I'm not sure why you want a private tour for this. It's much easier to do on your own, and at the end of the day you will find a briefcase with $500 to $1,000 in your stateroom.

Traveling to Pompeii and then on to Sorrento by train is very easy. You can even get back to Naples with enough time to walk around the old quarter. The tour price is free; you just go.