Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Private taxi from rail station to hotel..quick question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/private-taxi-from-rail-station-to-hotel-quick-question-785995/)

sandi_travelnut May 22nd, 2009 12:33 PM

Private taxi from rail station to hotel..quick question

Surely these prices are not per person, right? Up to 4 people, the total is 65euro? I looked for validation on the website but didn't see...just checking!!

From Railway Station S.Lucia or Piazzale Roma to
to hotels in Venice historic centre or vice versa
A private water taxi will take you from the Railway Station Santa Lucia or Piazzale Roma directly to your hotel (or its nearest accessible dock)
65 Euros (1 to 4 persons)
80 Euros (5 to 7 persons)
100 Euros (8 to 10 persons)

ekscrunchy May 22nd, 2009 12:44 PM

I would read it that way--65 euro total for 1 person, 2 persons, 3 persons or 4 persons..

sandi_travelnut May 22nd, 2009 01:08 PM

Thanks...I wish this trip was for me!

sandi_travelnut May 22nd, 2009 01:40 PM

EK, or anyone else... Is this the most updated info on the Venice Card? It seems ridiculously complicated for what it is. Anyone have recent experience and pricing for a 72hr vap pass only? (the info below is from europeforvisitors.com)
__________________________________________________ ____________

Until recently, the Venice tourist authorities sold a pass called the Venice Card, which offered 3 or 7 days of public transportation and free use of public toilets. Higher-priced versions of the card included admission to city-owned museums, visits to Chorus Pass churches, and optional transportation between Venice's Marco Polo Airport and the city on the Alilaguna airport boat.

The Venice Card has been discontinued and replaced by a new product called Venice Connected, which offers many of the same services as the Venice Card with a more complicated pricing scheme.

With the new pass, you decide what services you want at the time of purchase (such as transportation, museum passes, and toilet cards), and you pay a price that varies according to to the time of your visit: Low/Middle Season, Middle/High Season, or Top Season.

To make matters even more complicated, the "seasons" vary not only by month, but also by day of the week. Since the pricing is both a la carte and date-sensitive, we can't tell you what you should expect to pay: The only way to check prices is to decide what services you want ahead of time and go through the step-by-step online purchase procedure.

Tip: You'll save 15 per cent if you order the card online before your arrival, but to get the savings, you must pay and receive a voucher number at least 15 days before picking up the card in Venice.
Our advice:

Unless you want to plan every detail of your visit ahead of time, you'll find it easier to simply buy a 12-hour to 7-day "tourist travel card" from any ACTV ticket office or vaporetto ticket booth. This card, which looks like a standard vaporetto ticket, will give you unlimited public transportation on boats in the Venice Lagoon, and you can pay for museums and public toilets as needed. (Be sure to validate the ACTV tourist travel card in the yellow stamping machine near the vaporetto platform the first time you use it.)

For more information on Venice Connected, see the Venice Connected Web site.

For current prices of ACTV tourist travel cards, see our Venice Vaporetto and Bus Fares article.

rolohof_duvall May 22nd, 2009 01:44 PM

Save your money and take the vapareto

sandi_travelnut May 22nd, 2009 01:46 PM

That's why I posted the 2nd question. This is info for my sister's trip and she may want to do the private taxi. It's her decision not mine.

LoveItaly May 22nd, 2009 02:17 PM

Hi Sandy, the rates you show regarding the water taxis is for the trip..it is not per person.

I have heard the visitor cards have gotten quite complicated, I guess so! Personally I wouldn't bother trying to figure all that out. If your sister and others with her plan on using the public transportation if I were her I would buy the tourist travel card.

kybourbon May 22nd, 2009 03:38 PM

Venice Connected is the official website. It's really not as complicated as it sounds. Services are discounted if you buy in advance on Venice Connected.
http://www.veniceconnected.com/node/291

sandi_travelnut May 23rd, 2009 05:59 AM

Thanks!