Printing Raileurope train tickets

Oct 12th, 2019, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Printing Raileurope train tickets

I'm trying to purchase and print 4 train tickets from the Raileurope website for when I'm in Europe next week and when I click to check out it gives an error message "Please select a shipping option." but there is no place to select any print options???

Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Oct 12th, 2019, 11:00 AM

Nobody here recommends RailEurope because they charge high fees. Don't even know if they do Print at home tickets.

If you tell us where you are traveling we can tell you where you should buy them.

Put as much info as possible in you answer because you only get one more post in the next 24 hours as a newby.
Oct 12th, 2019, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by elberko View Post
Nobody here recommends RailEurope because they charge high fees. Don't even know if they do Print at home tickets.

If you tell us where you are traveling we can tell you where you should buy them.

Put as much info as possible in you answer because you only get one more post in the next 24 hours as a newby.
I'm arriving in Paris (CDG) Monday Morning (9:30AM) and need to get to Freiburg Germany for a dinner meeting, meetings Tuesday before heading back to Paris Tuesday night.

The raileurope itinerary I had planned had me leaving Paris CDG at 11:24AM on the TGV 5478 arriving in Strasbourg at 1:13PM then departing for Frankfort on the France/Germany High Speed 9583 train arriving at 4:00PM.

I would then depart Frankfort at 4:50PM on the ICE 373 train to arrive in Frieburg at 7:00PM

My plan was to then depart Freiburg on Tuesday on the 2:53PM train (ICE 296) arrive in Frankfurt at 5:08PM then depart Frankfort at 6:58PM on the France/Germany High Speed train (9550) arriving at Paris EST at 10:52PM.

Meetings in Paris Wednesday/Thursday and fly back home (Chicago) Friday morning...

appreciate your input, help and suggestions!

Thanks,
Mark
Oct 12th, 2019, 11:49 AM

Oh, my, that's a challenging itinerary.
I'd be concerned about allowing only 2 hours between arriving at CDG and the first train. Delays happen, and immigration at CDG can have long lines.

Hopefully somebody based in Europe can offer more help, until then, this site is well regarded for helpful train advice on route and best sites to buy tickets. I have used it often.

https://www.seat61.com/international...aris-Frankfurt

Probably too late now, but an open jaw, into Frankfurt and out of Paris would have saved a lot of trouble and possibly not cost more.

Last edited by elberko; Oct 12th, 2019 at 12:11 PM.
Oct 12th, 2019, 11:53 AM

I highly doubt Rail Europe is a good deal for you. Take the time to figure out the costs for individual tickets.

And yes, it is never a good idea to plan to be on a train within 2 hours of arriving at CDG.
Oct 12th, 2019, 12:07 PM

Rail Europe is not a train company -- they are a reseller of tickets at a high mark up and they sell rail passes (which they trick some people into buying because they compare the RE fares to the pass)

OK - - If you need to be in Freiburg at a date/time certain WHY are you flying into CDG? Basel airport is less than 50 miles from Freiburg and there are frequent express buses between the two.

But IF you have booked into CDG -- then simply fly on to Basel about three hours after you arrival - takes an hour.. Don't try to suss out a rail connection . . . and DON'T use RailEurope.
Oct 12th, 2019, 12:10 PM

Just noticed you are brand new (Welcome to Fodors ) which means you can't post again until tomorrow.

In the mean time take a look at the flight options to Basel -- Air France, Lufthansa, probably others.
Oct 12th, 2019, 02:46 PM

You might find trainline an easier option to use to purchase and you should be able to print tickets out there or use a barcode on your phone. their website is:

https://www.thetrainline.com/

They show for Monday a train that leaves at 11:57 from CDG on TGV 5164 arriving in Strasbourg at 14:31 then changing to DB SWE 87437 at 14:50 transferring at Offenburg to DB ICE 107 at 15:31 arriving in Freiburg at 16:00 if those times work for you that might give you a bit more time for your arrival and usually if you need to change the ticket to an earlier train like the one you mentioned you probably will be able to make that change at the station when you are buying a ticket this close to the departure date.
Oct 12th, 2019, 02:53 PM

I always use seat61.com when researching trains and buying tickets as it gives links on where to buy. I checked bahn.de but believe you pay in euros. You would encounter a few connections but you were already planning on it but either website I think would be helpful to you. I have use bahn.de before. If I paid more by using it oh well. I did not any problems. Hope this helps.
Oct 12th, 2019, 03:20 PM

Bahn.de is the official German rail site and would have the lowest prices. Sometimes difficult to use with American credit cards.

BTW, you WANT to pay in euros!
Oct 12th, 2019, 09:46 PM

This looks like a business trip. The way you are configuring this trip is very convoluted. The most logical way is to book the flight correctly in the first place as mentioned above. ORD-FRA then CDG-ORD as a multi-cit booking instead of ORD-CDG-ORD. The the train part for the inbound part would have been simply Frankfurt airport - Freiburg, instead of your current three leg itinerary.
Even if you (have to) keep the ORD-CDG-ORD flights, both the inbound and the outbound train itineraries are much longer than needed as mentioned by jpie. Use www.bahn.com instead of raileurope. You see much faster connections going both ways. The tickets I have purchased at www.bahn.com, at least the ICE and the cross border TGV train tickets have been the print at home type. Tickets I have purchased at the trainline site mentioned above for inside France travels have been print at station type. I received a six letter/number code from the trainline site to punch into ticket machines are French railroad stations and out popped actual tickets.

Last edited by greg; Oct 12th, 2019 at 09:51 PM.
Oct 12th, 2019, 11:15 PM

Which Freiburg are you visiting? It seems strange to go via Frankfurt unless I've misunderstood.
Oct 13th, 2019, 08:32 AM

That is true -- WHICH Freiburg??? Important missing detail