Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Printing posts (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/printing-posts-449427/)

JulieVikmanis Nov 2nd, 2008 12:25 PM

Printing posts

I was away from this site for a while and since I've returned cannot seem to recall how to print out posts that I want to keep in my files or take with me on trips. Whenever I put my cursor on the posts I only get the title page, not the whole thing. I know I used to regularly print out entire posts. What am I forgetting? Thanks for your help.

cocofromdijon Nov 2nd, 2008 12:28 PM

Hi Julie and welcome back :-)
I didn't know there was a special thing to do. I usually copy and paste on a Word document the posts I want to keep. I'd like to know more about that!

MKE Nov 2nd, 2008 01:16 PM

One way to print text is to highlight the text, right-click your mouse and select Print Preview. In the command line on the preview screen that pops up, select "As selected on screen." Then click on the print command.

(If you select "As layed out on screen," instead of "As selected on screen," you'll get more than you want. You may have to change "Shrink to fit" to 100%.)

These instructions work for a PC. I'm not familiar with how it would work if you have a Mac.

kybourbon Nov 2nd, 2008 01:31 PM

Are you right clicking on the thread title and then clicking print target? I haven't printed a thread in ages, but imagine that was what I did.

ButterflyGirl06 Nov 2nd, 2008 01:35 PM

speaking of this type of thing, how does one find a post after visiting? Sometimes I can't even find posts I have commented on or questions I have asked.

kybourbon Nov 2nd, 2008 02:12 PM

Butterflygirl - Click on your own screen name to bring up your previous posts.

JulieVikmanis Nov 2nd, 2008 02:25 PM

Thanks Coco. I've been doing the copy to a word document too, but I know I did something easier before. MKE, I can't seem to find the print preview thing when I right click, but I'll reread your instructions tomorrow when my brain is a bit more chipper and see if I can't make them work. Thanks.

Robespierre Nov 2nd, 2008 02:53 PM

If you're using FireFox,

Right-click on the thread title at the top (not the left side)
Select "This Frame"
Select "Print Frame"

ButterflyGirl06 Nov 2nd, 2008 04:59 PM

thanks KYBourbon! now I understand why people type "bookmarking" into the thread. :)

Robespierre Nov 2nd, 2008 05:46 PM

I don't. All you have to do is make a "Favorites" or "Bookmarks" folder for Fodor's threads and add to it each title you want to save for later access. That way,

a) you don't have to rifle through all the threads with your name on them, and

2) you will lessen the clutter of threads caused by "bookmarking" posts.

iii) you can organize them into sub-threads by subject or country or city

nancy Nov 2nd, 2008 06:08 PM

I have two ways to save Fodor's posts:

1. If it's a future (thinking about) trip I save it into My Favorites under a folder with the country/city name. Don't bother culling the file.

2. If it's a trip I'm currently planning regardless of how far out, I highlight the whole post and copy it into a Word Doc entitled such as Italy-Rome-restaurants or the like. Once I've created the folder I can them save other threads only regarding that into that folder.

When I have time I go back and cull out the messages that say, thank you I'm going .....or topping...or whatever info I don't need.

The nice part of culling these threads is you can read, again, what was said and if you really need the info.

Hope this helps. Nancy

JulieVikmanis Nov 3rd, 2008 03:01 AM

All of this is very helpful, especially the part about Firefox since that's what I use and probably why I've been having the problem. Also really like the saving stuff in folders business. Perfect. Thanks so much everyone.

I trust there are plenty of others who will find the info useful as well. That's always what's so great about asking questions here.

Jed Nov 3rd, 2008 07:16 AM

For those using IE, if you click on the 'print preview' icon, you get a choice of
"as laid out on screen"
"only the selected frame"
"all frames individually".

If you select 'only the selected frame', it gives you the right side (if you selected this first), and that lets you print out the info on the right side. Right now, I can get 3 pages worth.

I don't know if this applies to Firefox. ((*))

Katie_H Nov 3rd, 2008 07:38 AM

Just wanted to drop in to let you know that in the forums next upgrade, slated to debut in the near future, you will be able to bookmark threads directly to your "new" profile.

Christina Nov 3rd, 2008 08:54 AM

I don't understand why people have so much trouble with this or all the complicated things people do -- I just right click and then hit print. That's all you have to do -- that is not on a Mac, which I don't know about, and using IE. It's different with Mozilla, and I am not sure of the sequence, but I always have both browsers loaded on my machine, so usually use IE.