Prince Charles: Ban McDonald's!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a frequent European traveler i love having McDonald's and similar ilk fast food places around. Not just for a nice place to rest or get out of the rain for a cheap cup of java or one of the great Sundaes, but definitely for the bathrooms in times of emergency.
And now good old Prince Charles, would-be future King of Great Britain, has opened his trap and thinks McDonald's and the like should be banned...for their contribution to obesity.
Apparently spurred on by the behemoth child abuse case that was splashed all over UK tabloids recently - some obnoxiously lardy youngster who authorities were considering charging his Mom with child neglect for feeding him so much, the Prince, in Dubai, said something like:

(To Dubai authorities...of course you must ban McDonald's!) not sure of exact quote or country sputtered in but no doubt the baffoon would like to send Golden Arches to the scrap heap of history everywhere.

Well - Prince and future King of England, Scotland and Wales, leave my Golden Arches alone and let people, once informed of the dangers, make their own decision.

Ironically after the Prince's 'ban McDonald's suggestion the Guardian newspaper pointed out that some delicacy produced by the Prince's organic farms had bad fat content exceeding even the worst of McDonald's fare.

McDonald's - 'Lovin it' as one of the European traveler's most valuable oases. Well that's my opinion. Feel free to opine as well.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 07:45 AM

Sorry, but I have to agree with Charles on this one!
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

I think you can agree with his aim - but to ban? Then there's a whole litany of things we can ban that are detrimental to our health - starting with cars, tobacco, booze, etc.

Would you really ban fast food places?

I do think you might legislate they use good fats, etc. like in some towns however.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 07:50 AM

I totally disagree! Where would I get my beloved grilled chicken ranch salad?
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 07:51 AM

If England wants to trim the fat, why don’t they get rid of the monarchy?
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 07:56 AM

Well, McDonalds appeals to the poor and the young.
It's cheap and it is not intimidating.
You can imagine a single mum with her brood being put off by a table with a cloth and cutlery.
Now, if somebody could open a chain with cheap food that is also healthy, then that would be a boon.
Perhaps Prince Charles could open an subsidise something like that.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 07:58 AM

Personally I can't stand McDonalds, I never took my children in one and will never take my grandson in one. However - there are many, perfectly healthy foods which if eaten to excess or to the exclusion of other foods, would be unhealthy. What's needed is a bit of education and personal responsibility for what (and how much)you eat.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 08:03 AM

McDonald's does not force fatty foods down the throats of any customer. The customers walk in freely and of their own volition. They buy what they want. If they want fatty, carb-laden food, then who is responsible for their obesity?

Good grief, Chuck. Let it go.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 08:04 AM
ComfyShoes

Well, poor is a relative term and so is young so I don't know where I fall. But as Maria says, the quantity is just important as quality. At least I can NEVER finish restaurant meals here in Midwest.

I think, not for everyone but for many, this whole McDonald's debate is a bit hypocritical. If people really disliked it, it won't be as successful as it is. Heck, I admit to going to McDonalds once every couple weeks because I like it. And I have a body-fat content of 12% because I don't overdo it and because I can and do work out.

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 08:10 AM

I agree that for us European travelers, McDonald's is a good place for a quick and inexpensive cup of coffee and a restroom, PalenQ. I remember as a young super-budget traveler many years ago buying a waffle from a street vendor in Brussels, then getting a strawberry sundae at McD's and dumping it on top of my Belgian waffle for a wonderful cheap taste treat! In Lausanne, I got a kick out of eating a "McOeuf" sandwich. I recall a time in Heidelberg when I was chilly and really needed a cup of coffee to warm up. Voila! MickeyD's was a welcome sight that day.

After all that, I'm still not obese. Go figure.

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 08:12 AM

"Now, if somebody could open a chain with cheap food that is also healthy, then that would be a boon."

If you ever come to Belgium, have a bite at Exki and see how it's done! It's a "fast food" chain that serves really tasty fresh, healthy food (sandwiches, salads, quiches, soups and hot dishes) with natural ingredients. And they have the most fabulous cakes and desserts too (no need to overdo the healthy side of things at the expense of pleasure!!).

They make everything fresh each morning, sell things cut price at the end of the day and give all the leftovers to the Salvation Army each evening.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 08:45 AM

I'm American living in Switzerland and occasionally go to McDonald's. But Prince Charles needs to know that the only time in my life that I went to a Pizza Hut was in London....because I couldn't afford to eat anywhere else! It was years ago when I was single and struggling and had gone to London for a long weekend from Boston alone and I was amazed at the prices in restaurants. So I ate at McDonald's and Pizza Hut. Only on the last day did I discover a sandwich place that made great sandwiches on baguettes.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 08:47 AM

<<If people really disliked it, it won't be as successful as it is.>>

You could say the same thing about narcotics.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 08:48 AM
ira

May I suggest that it ain't what you eat, but how much you eat?

Exercise isn't all that harmful, either.

Anyone for a fried Mars bar?

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 08:49 AM

He denies saying it BTW.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Well i heard it on BBC - not his voice so it seemed like a good source.

Fried Mars Bar - and the ubiquitous British greasy cafe fare - bad fat a la mode. SPAM fritters were on a menu i saw recently. Suggest the food in these places is more unhealthy than anything MAC-Donalds serves up.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 08:53 AM

"leave my Golden Arches alone"

Well, that's what he's doing. He hasn't got a vote. He'll have no more influence on political decisions when he gets his mother's job than he has now. And his views hardly sway the masses - or even, I suspect, his wife and kids. New Labour is, if anything, marginally less likely to interfere with McDonald's right to sell junk now they've heard Charles' opinions on the matter.

However Charles IS entitled to a point of view. Just as we're all entitled to ignore it. Why foreigners can't ignore them too is beyond me.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately as the heir-in-waiting to be Head of State, at least technically, what drivels out of his mouth makes headlines and raises the debate, good or not.

And i guess debate is good.

And we all could ignore Anna Nicle Smith et all too but it's hard - you'd have to be in the States to appreciate the media circus that was when it hit.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

But Robes wasn't he about single handedly responsible for the demolition of the nasty looking Paternoster Square by St Paul's - now replaced by a rather nice people friendly environs.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 09:03 AM

Banning something is always controversial but I wish McDonald's didn't exist.

Alternatively, maybe all fast food could be taxed according to how unhealthy it is and the money used to subsidise healthy food like fruit and veg.
Poor people tend to have poor diets because junk food is generally cheaper than healthy food and by subsidising this could be more a matter of choice for many.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -