Prices in Vienna or the Torte Index

Old Feb 26th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prices in Vienna or the Torte Index

With all deference to the well known Big Mac Index, my wife suggested I post some eating and drinking prices for Vienna to help avoid sticker shock.
Hotel Breakfast: 17 to 22 euros
Sounds like a lot but is sometimes included in your room cost. These buffets can be overwhelming: fresh fruit, cereals, scrambled eggs, five kinds of bread, four types of coffee cake or rolls- Hotel Sofitel was extraordinary.
A cafe alternative will still cost you 10-14 euros by the time you include all the alacarte and a tip-usually 10%.
My grandfather would appreciate the following- beer costs less than Coke priced by volume. A .2 litre diet coke is 2.2 euros while a .3 litre draft beer is 3.2 euros. Mixed drinks in a hotel happy hour can run 3.5 eurois.
The only food bargains are the standup wurst and kebab kiosks which are omnipresent or the standup coffee bars associated usually with a bakery (underground Opera subway stop shopping center has a great one.)
Each restaurant and cafe has to offer, by law, a special "menu" luncheon item which is usually a blue plate special of some sort. This is frequently a stew or roast dish with potatoes or noodles and sometimes soup or salad and quite hearty. These are priced from 8 to 10 euros at good restaurants. Cafe Diglas has five such items which change daily-some including dessert (small size). Again, you have to add the costs of drinks and tip. All taxes are always included in the item price.
Torte temptations: a mid-afternoon melange (mixed coffee and hot milk) is 3.5 euros and a slice of Torte (not 57 varieties but never less than 10) IS 3-5 euros. An extravagance to be sure but what fun.
Dinner is for heavy eaters because the good restaurants bury you with food volume-priced accordingly-12 euros and up. It gets worse if you go the Michelin stars route.
Really good chocolates are 25 dollars a pound but worth every penny.
Oh yes: be prepared to fork out 6 euros for a Big Mac Value Meal in downtown Vienna,
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 07:48 AM

rather than the price of the melange coffee, I'd want to know the current price of the einspanner, my favorite.
coffee with whipped cream--hmmmm.....
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 12:51 AM

I believe the prior poster did not present food prices in Vienna in a correct way.

Any one can pay high prices by staying in a hotel and not looking 100 metres in any direction to find good restaurants and cafes at normal pricing.

Many hotels include breakfasts as part of the room rate.
For the few that do not, numerous cafes, restaurants and bakeries provide good breakfasts at reasonable prices.

Example - Cafe Weimar -full breakfast 5.60 euros ; extra large breakfast 9.30 euros.; 3 scrambled eggs 4.80 euros; 2 eggs 2.80 euros

Chattanoga Restaurant on Graben- center of the city- breakfasts 3-9 euros depending on size.
Bakeries such as " Der Mann" and " Anker" offer specials all day at low prices- breakfast as well as sandwiches- Food is excelent.Prices excelent

For Elaine-

Einspanner 3.60 €
Kapuziner 3.80€
Melange 3.40€

Cafe Latte 3.60€
Fiaker( coffee with alcohol)
4.80€

Of course you can sit all day if you wish in these cafes- read the free newspapers, magazines or just " People Watch" for this price.Yes, most have some english language newspapers too! This saves buying a paper.

More bargains- go to a heuriger - excelent food , good portions and most of all good wine.
dinner for 2 with wine( 1 liter) 25-30 euros.
The famous " Menu" luncheon is 6-10 euro- but includes soup, entree, and dessert. For most eaters, a full meal.
Example Restaurant Smutney- just 200 metres from the Opera .
Another place just off Graben - Reintallers Beisel.

With such good and reasonable restaurants, most, here in Vienna,do not find the need to go to McDonalds.
I can never understand why vacationers would pay thousands to travel and then fail to enjoy the experience of good "local fare " and the atmosphere of a different culture.
Why travel all this way and then pay a high price for the same McDonalds burger you can find at home?
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 07:00 AM

Just noticed 2nd post - take elaines advice
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 12:25 PM

How many times is this posted?