Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Prices in Scandanavia: how do they compare with the rest of Europe?

Old Sep 18th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering a trip to Norway or Sweden next summer. Can I expect to pay for meals and lodging with prices comparable to Germany and France? Or will it be as I suspect a lot more expensive? I take public transport a lot. Give a sample price of a typical tram ride. Thanks.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 08:30 AM

We found Sweden offered lower prices for lodging in summer because business travelers were off the road. Norway we found to be very expensive, especially the closer we were to urban centers. I think this "urban center" problem is almost universal, and certainly not limited to Scandinavia. Rural and small-town prices generally seemed lower everywhere we have traveled.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 10:50 AM

I would estimate that Norway is 30 % more expensive than Sweden.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 10:58 AM

Where in Norway were you thinking?

Norway can be done cheaply; it just depends on where you go and what you want to do.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

I was thinkg of doing a home exchange in one of the big cities and then a couple of excursions to some small towns or resorts. I might rent a car or use the train depending on costs and convenience. If we stay in a large city, we would use public transport a lot, visit museums, stroll and of course eat out regularly. Any more thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 11:42 AM

Price for mcdonalds cheeseburger
in Sweden: 10 SEK
in Germany: 1 EUR

I would say, there is no big price difference between Sweden and Germany. But the view is depending on the exchange rate.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 11:49 AM

I live in Oslo.

If you get hold of a kitchen, it's better to make your own food than go out to eat.

I'm probably the wrong person to give an opinion on this - I am an excellent cook and prefer cooking my own stuff. I know what's going in the food. If I go out to eat dinner, then I typically go to the really fancy places, with the Michelin stars. But I do have my favorite lunch place that I go to almost every weekend - Fyret on Youngstorget.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

What about the cost of a tram ride or a subway ride? Thanks for the help so far.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 04:28 PM

Annetti....tram rides in Oslo are very reasonable..and they run a good syste around town..these old clunky trolley cars can get you anywhere in the compact city. I remember in the summer of '02 when the exchange was not appreciably different (you do know they are not on the Euro plan..neither is Sweden or Denmark) than Paris or London. In fact in Oslo, you can practically walk the whole city. We walked from Frogner Park (a "must see") in the rain , all the way bask to out hotel near the City Center. Our hotel, in fact, was less than $100..Gabelshus in the embassy district..delightful residential streets, the hotel is an ivy - covered old mansion. Food costs were noticeably higher than other European capitals...but panini-type sandwich shops are ubiquitous..and the salmon (lox) sandwiches are superb...also ion Bergen, and as you get out into the countryside, even cheaper...we tried an Indian restaurant in Oslo, excellent and very comparable to L.A. Indian offerings which we frequent.
And yes, as we drove from Trondheim, the further north we went (all the way to Tromso), the more in line with stateside food prices we found.

Yes, Sweden, even Stockholm is a bit lower....we got rid of the Norwegian car rental in Narvik and trained the 19 hour overnight to Stockholm..delightful ride through Sweden's wilds, and we stayed at the Mornington Hotel..about $90-100....... Copenhagen is on a par with Stockholm..we stayed at the all-women staffed and managed Ibsen's Hotel..excellent..also in the vicinity of $100-110.Rode the great urban-suburban train system to Hillerod and then to the outstanding Louisiana Museum..total train cost for the day about $8 per person.

All that said, the three countries were magnificent to visit.

Enjoy..at the end of the year, the differences in $ expense won't even be remembered.
Stu
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 05:40 PM

Annetti, Saw your query on our trip report about our home exchange but thought it was easier to answer here. As the previous posters say there are ways to work with expenses and Scandanavia is well worth a trip. Certainly our home exchange helped save money on lodging and food since we had a kitchen. On our first trip two years ago, we rented an apartment in Stockholm for 4 days and then spent 3 nights in Kalmar at a hotel associated with the Comfort chain. They had a great buffet breakfast and dinner each day included in the price. Hotel prices are also less on the weekend (due to business travel). Hostels are also a good deal and are clean, safe, and cater to many different ages in Sweden.

Transportation costs are pretty similar to other countries, and there are so many ways to cut food costs that it is really lodging that you should explore to see if the trip is within your budget. I hope it is!!

Old Sep 19th, 2005, 11:10 AM
KT

If you use poblic transport a lot in Stockholm, especially if you're going outside the central zone, you'll probably want a daily or 3-day pass or a discount strip of tickets. Here's the infor on the Stockholm Tourist Office's page:
http://www.stockholmtown.com/templat..._2549__EN.aspx

Old Sep 19th, 2005, 11:11 PM

We got a day card for Oslo for 60 Noeregian kroners. It was good for all the tramm's, metroe's, and buse's for 24 hours from the first time you stamp it. You can get them at little shops every where called Narvesis or somt thing like that. I think buying just one ticket cost 20 kroners so the day card is good value we thougt. A MCdonald value meal in cities in Noway was 65 kroners which is about $10 right now. We found Sweeden to be a little cheaper than Noway maybe 10-20% on some things like food or lodging or transp ports. Butt Noway has more breastaking scenry with the fords in the west coast. You can get one way trains for 199 kroners if you book from http;/nsb.no. An the Fordpass and Scand hotels pass are pretty good discounts for hotels in Noway. But $100 is still really good for a hotel for 2 any where over there. We paid about $120 in Vergen and Stavsganger and Oshlo. Lykke til! (as they say, good luck!!)
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone for all your help.