Search

prices in Paris after Euro??? especially fabrics

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2003, 01:38 PM
lol
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prices in Paris after Euro??? especially fabrics

hi <BR>last time i was in paris it was two summers ago. I hear prices have gone up dramatically after euro. I am interested in fabric shopping. last time I was there I bought some from BOUCHARA and they were beautiful and very well priced.<BR>Any recent experiences?? <BR>thanx a lot
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 01:56 PM
ira

Hi lol,<BR> Since you were there, the Euro has gone from $0.86 to $1.07. Everything is now 25% more expensive.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 11:12 PM

Ira is correct, the prices (almost for everything) have increased by about 25%. If you haven't already explored all of the stores at the March� St. Pierre (easy access from metro Abbesses on line 12), you may wish to do so. They have every type of material and at every price. I'm not sure if that's where Bouchara is located as well- I'm horrible with names- but it's truly the best selection of fabrics in the city.<BR><BR>Best Regards,<BR>Gail
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 05:19 AM
ira

ttt
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 08:27 AM
lol
Original Poster

hi everybody<BR>thanx for the replies.<BR>Bouchara is in Opera, a famous fabric store by lafayette.<BR>I have not been to marche St. Pierre, I am sure that stores there would be cheaper but I am kind of worried about the quality!
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 09:32 AM
kjl

I just returned from Paris last week.<BR>One of my missions was to purchase some<BR>upholstery fabric for my home. Following are some names and addresses<BR>for you.<BR><BR>As stated by ira, there are a ton of fabric stores loated in the 18th. Just<BR>take the metro to the Abbesses stop and<BR>find your way to St.Pierre. Some of my<BR>favorites are:<BR>Moline Tissus<BR>1, place Saint-Pierre<BR><BR>Tissus D'Ameublement<BR>11, rue d'Orsel<BR><BR>There are just a ton of fabric stores located all over this area. Too many to list.<BR><BR>I also found some wonderful fabric just<BR>on the outskirts of Paris in the Neully<BR>der Seine area called Bineau Murals. It's a simple trip via line 3 of the metro, Porte de Chaperret. They have a wonderful selection of some just beautiful fabrics starting anywhere from<BR>14 to 50 Euros. I found a great fabric that was discontinued and the gentleman sold me the sample (equivalent to about<BR>2.5 yards for 15 Euros). I have linked<BR>their site below for you. This place is<BR>definately worth the trip.<BR><BR>http://www.bineau.net/contacts.html<BR><BR>Bouchara is another great spot as I found some wonderful provencial cottons<BR>and tablecloths that matched. The fabric<BR>sold for 5.80 and 6.50 per meter. The oilcloth fabrics sold for 14 Euros per meter.<BR><BR>Bouchara 1 et Rue Lafayette (9th)<BR><BR>Another fun hit or miss shop in the same area is called TOTO located at<BR>7, place de la Madeleine (8th).<BR><BR>Madura is also another wonderful fabric<BR>store I discovered this trip. They have 2 stores in Paris.<BR><BR>Madura<BR>66, rue de Rennes (6th)<BR>6, rue Tronchet (8th)<BR><BR>If your into oilcloth a store called<BR>Plastiques 103, rue de Rennes (6th) has<BR>a great selection and beautiful prints.<BR><BR>All the major department stores also<BR>have fabrics, BHV, Printemps and Galleries Lafayette.<BR><BR>Finally another wonderful store is KA International. Just beautiful upholstery fabrics. I actually found this store in Dusseldorf Germany and<BR>for some reason missed their stores while in Paris, oh well next year.<BR><BR>KA International<BR>5, rue de Edouard VII (9th)<BR>61, rue de Rennes (6th)<BR><BR>Hope this helps and don't forget to take a tape measure.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 12:47 PM

I was shopping for home dec fabric in May 2001 we found the shops near Sacre Coeur, the St. Pierre area, to have fantastic quality fabrics, some of the most beautiful fabrics I have ever worked with, I had a decorator come to my house and she raved over the fabric and I had so many choices it was really difficult to decide. You won't be able to take it all in with just one day, we went back four or five times that week. Enjoy the area it's wonderful. Deborah
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 03:24 PM
lol
Original Poster

hi<BR>Thanx a lot everybody especially kjl, wow great info.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 10:03 AM

Everything in Paris is now much much more expensive than last year. Euro inflation is rampant.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 06:55 AM

topping for janeygirl