Price of wine in Italy, France

Apr 24th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Price of wine in Italy, France

How does a bottle of wine compare price-wise in these countries to comparable products in the US? Is it cheap enough to drink with most meals or would a bottle a day still roughly double the cost of food (home preped) for the day like it does in the US?
Apr 24th, 2006, 09:57 AM
ira

Hi t,

You are in for a very pleasant surprise.

Apr 24th, 2006, 10:04 AM

In France, it seems reasonable to me. Of course, wine prices vary all over the map, depending on what you want to spend. The cheapest wine on the menu should not double the meal costs, if you are dining in a modest establishment. Or you can get the standard table/house wine, which is the cheapest.

Wine doesn't double my meal costs in the US, either, so we must frequent different kinds of restaurants. I know wine is often marked up way too much in the US, but I sure don't spend that much on it.
Apr 24th, 2006, 10:15 AM

When I was in Italy two years ago, we (3 of us) could never decide if we wanted red or white. Because it was so cheap, at dinner we typically got one of each (and we tend to be moderatly thrifty). The only splurge we had was a bottle of Brunello for 33 euros which I've seen here for $75+ .
Apr 24th, 2006, 10:20 AM

It's hard to compare, when I don't know what the costs in the US. Can you give an example.

In my area, I usually buy local wines in a restaurant for about 15 € to 25 €. There are some much higher certainly but this is the pricewise I drink.

I paid a nice wine at a local fish restaurant. They charged me 14 € a bottle. I bought the same wine at the chateau for 2.50 € - same year too. So, the restaurants will put three times at least with the menu prices.

Local wines for decent choices I pay between 5 € to 10 €. I find that the Rhone wines are quite nice and maybe a bit more. But, they really nice with a decent meal.

I live close to the Spanish border and I can buy wine there easily. It used to be very cheap in Spain but with the EU competition, the Spanish prices are very close to the French wines.

In small restuarants I can eat lunch with a 1/4 liter of local red. The average price is about 12 €. Overall, the food is good and the wine is similar.

The previous restaurant which charged me for the wine at 14 € but I select they're menu special. It's only 13 €, so overall for the meal came for near abouts 30 €. I had ordered a coffee after the meal.

Blackduff
Apr 24th, 2006, 10:39 AM

I purchased a bottle of wine in a grocery store for two Euros. I brought it home on the plane and had a friend try it who works at an expensive restaurant. His response: Not bad, not the best, but not bad.

Ask for the house wine for lunch and pay a little more for a bottle during dinner.

Order your wine by the crafe and ask for the house wine to save money. Last year I could get one-half crafe of the house wine in a restaurant in France for 4.50 Euros.
Apr 24th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Doble_Vergasser

In Rome, we happened to past a rather small (350-400 SF) wine shop during our travels. That 5 euro bottle of white was very, very memorable. The owner's daughter was there to translate my request for a "value wine, white" to her father. I wish I had more of that wine.

When eating out, the hose wine at most establishments comes in a pitcher (ask for a pitche of vino).