Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

President of Picasso Museum fired over repeated delays: What a mess!

May 13th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

The last word was that the museum was supposed to open in late September, but this latest episode suggests that there'll be yet another delay:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/14/ar...er-delays.html
May 13th, 2014, 01:29 PM

Wanderful, thanks for the update. The world still waits...
May 13th, 2014, 03:10 PM

It might have been the year 2000 when we first toured the Picasso museum. I had never been a fan of his, although I had done the obligatory trots through some good collections in Chicago, Cleveland, New York etc.

We only went to this specific museum because we had the Carte Musee and we wanted to fill out our day. At the time of our first visit, one started at the top and wended one's way down through Picasso's art history. By the time we reached bottom, we FINALLY grasped who this artist was.

As a result of this Paris visit (one that was repeated year after year), we go out of our way to see even the smallest Picasso museum wherever we are--and we always gain new insight.

He is still not our favorite artist, but we have tremendous respect that we otherwise would never have gained had not the Paris Picasso museum showed the sheer breadth and audacity of his output.

It is such a shame, no matter whose fault it is (and as any of us who work in institutions know, there is always blame to be shared by all) that no one gets to have this experience.

Thank you, wanderful, for sharing what is going on.
May 23rd, 2014, 09:46 PM

We just came back from Paris knowing that the Picasso Museum was closed and feeling very frustrated. When we left we had heard it was going to open in June so we would have just missed it. Then September, now....what the heck?? So glad I didn't delay our trip only to be disappointed again. sure hope they eventually get it together.
Jun 4th, 2014, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

A new head of the Musée Picasso was just appointed.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...&ref=arts&_r=0

Does that means the museum will finally reopen in late September, as suggested some weeks ago?

I wouldn't count on it.
Jun 4th, 2014, 07:44 AM

I spoke with someone well-connected in the world of Art Museums recently, and she says it won't open before the beginning of 2015.
Jun 4th, 2014, 08:51 AM

The latest update in the French press is that the curator who was fired may force the new person to completely change the arrangements of all of the artworks or else be sued for infringement of artistic vision.
Jun 4th, 2014, 08:55 AM

hmmm... I would have thought that legally, if he was working for the museum, they would own the artistic rights. I know in the US, many companies make you sign documents where you are hired that things you create there belong to them, such as patents.
Jun 4th, 2014, 02:27 PM

That's the difference between France and the United States. In France, any kind of artist has full control and rights over what they have created.
Sep 4th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Musée Picasso will reopen October 25.

Here is the NY Times article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/04/ar....html?ref=arts
Sep 5th, 2014, 03:37 AM

And it will actually be open for the Heritage Days later this month for people who want to get an early view.

On top of that, the original director who was fired will be in charge of the opening exhibition that she prepared: http://www.liberation.fr/culture/201...icasso_1093863
Sep 5th, 2014, 04:41 AM

Thanks for both articles, wanderful and kerouac. I'm really impressed with how Laurent Le Bon handled utter disaster.

I hope I'll be impressed with the final museum. If you get there before I do, please review here.
Sep 5th, 2014, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

I'll await kerouac's review.

The Times will weigh in shortly after the opening.

I hope to be there in the spring, maybe May. I've been waiting — literally — for years.
Sep 5th, 2014, 07:30 AM

Kerouac, is there a link, or something with the actual days/hours the Picasso will be open? I've googled, and haven't found anything in English. My mom is been wanting to go, and I believe she will actually be in Paris during Heritage days in the end of September.
Sep 5th, 2014, 07:55 AM

The latest is for the artist's birthday October 25.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/04/ar...ew-leader.html

http://online.wsj.com/articles/paris...pen-1408053673 (this article hints at a preview for the public already in September but doesn't give any details)
Sep 5th, 2014, 08:04 AM

I also found this

http://en.parisinfo.com/what-to-see-...tage-days-2014

But it describes for the Picasso Museum for Heritage Days "before the paintings are hung". Of course Picasso made sculpture, ceramics and more besides paintings but can't tell if those would be displayed or no.
Sep 5th, 2014, 09:11 AM

I am so interested in what format the place will take.

When we first went in 1999 or 2000, the actual exhibition space was not large, but its go-to-the-top to see his early stuff and then wend-your-way-down sequentially through his works made one totally aware of just what an eclectic artistic force he was and his prodigious growth as an artist.

A few years later, some strange rearrangement inside lost all the visual "oomph". That was the same year they did something odd to the Pompidou,too and it lost its vibe too.