Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

President Obama, Here We Come - Please Help The Maitais To Not Commit a "Capitol" Offense!

Search

President Obama, Here We Come - Please Help The Maitais To Not Commit a "Capitol" Offense!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts

In an attempt to further stimulate our nation's economy we are foregoing a European adventure this year to visit Washington D.C. this Spring. Obviously, the country will be on its highest alert during this time (do we still have the Color Wheel of Terror in effect now that Bush is gone).

Homeland Security has been warned that Tracy, Kim, Mary and I will be on the loose in early May roaming from monument to monument, museum to museum, and bar to bar. The Smithsonian has already hired extra guards knowing I want to climb inside the Apollo 11 Command Module ("One small step for man, perhaps the end of mankind.&quot.

Kim and I are trying to set up a little game of two-on-two with Obama and Biden, but they don't know if the basketball court will be ready by then.

We have a reservation at The Hotel Rouge, a hotel said to be frequented by "young hipsters" and "who have barmaids in go-go boots and mini-skirts." They also have a "Cold Pizza and Bloody Mary Bar" on weekend mornings. This sounds like the sophisticated type of place we "Middle-Aged Hipsters" like to stay (plus we got a great deal).

In any case, I would like to inquire about some Fodorite favorite restaurants and also tips for someone who has not visited DC since Reagan's first term. We also want to take a day trip to both Mount Vernon and Monticello, since Jefferson was the first president Kim voted for (cheap shot, I know). Is there public transportation or is it better to rent a car?

Thanks for any help you might be able to give us for better enjoying our stay, and I will pass on your best wishes (well, most of you anyway) to the Obamas.

Old Jan 29th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Oops, wrong board.

Old Jan 29th, 2009, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's okay Tom... the Chief Justice
gave President Obama the wrong oath
of office! LOL
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For Monticello you'll definitely need a car and you may as well use if for the Mt. Vernon trip, too
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I have this same post on the U.S. Board, so if someone has a reply for me, please do it over there and let this one fade.