Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

presents to bring to Italian relatives- Need help ASAP

Jun 20th, 2001, 05:52 AM
Jo

I will be leaving for Italy and need some advice on bringing some presents to Italy for relatives. Some are in the over 50 age group, 2 in the early 30's and 2 boys ages 13 and 8.

Any ideas,
Thanks

Jun 20th, 2001, 06:07 AM
ruth

Children : Suggest anything Disney or the associated to films. T Shirts, sweatshirts and Jellybeans (not easy to come by in Europe and v.expensive and soooo American to us)

Adults : Ditto above. American quilts and throws. Placemats, table linen and teacloths (?). Quality cosmetics or hair care products (much dearer in Europe than USA)

Jun 20th, 2001, 06:32 AM
jo

Thanks Ruth,
anyone else?

Jun 20th, 2001, 06:58 AM
Book Chick

Jo,
As 4th of July is nearing, you may want to get some tee shirts/sweatshirts with a red, white & blue theme, or an American flag emblem. This went over really well when I was a student in Italy. Also anything from an American university.

Ruth gave really great suggestions for the adults, but again we found American-themed stuff (red,white & blue) to be very popular in colors of quilts, placemats, etc.

Have a lovely trip!
BC

Jun 20th, 2001, 10:14 AM
Ann

For the boys, a t-shirt or jersey from an American sports team (either from your city or a recognizable team, like the Yankees, Chicago Bulls, Dallas Cowboys). Also, as mentioned above, t-shirts from American colleges (the big ones that they are likely to recognize).

For the early 30s, duty-free alcohol is also appreciated. Not exactly American, but it's what my friends always like to receive (I'm 32).

Jun 20th, 2001, 10:18 AM
Claudia

On the alcohol note, how about a variety of beers from an American microbrewery, maybe something that's near where you live.

It might be a pain to carry but think of that extra room in your suitcase for your Italian goodies...

Jun 20th, 2001, 10:36 AM
elvira

Wall and desk calendars w/photos of the U.S. (of your area is even better); local crafts and/or food (Navajo jewelry, maple syrup - you get the idea); scented candles; CDs; coffeetable book of photos of the U.S. or your area.