Prepaid Wifi internet card?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The couple of hotels we regularly frequent had Wifi, one at 5€/hour and the other at 8€/hour. I'm curious to know if there is such a thing as a 'prepaid Wifi card' where you could buy a block (say 20&euro and use the card to gain access to partner hot-spots.

I've trolled the web, T-Mobile, ATT,iPass, etc. but their plans seem geared for business use and are quite expensive for the casual use of a traveler.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 07:05 AM

https://selfcare.hotspot.t-mobile.com/services_plans.do

offers 60 minute access for 60 minutes.

T-Mobile also has pre-paid cards. I believe they are sold at 7-Elevens, Best-Buys, T-Mobile shops and I'm sure many other places. T-Mobile partners with most major providers all over the world in case they don't have their own hot spot in the area, but there is an additional roaming charge to use the other services.

I believe T-Mobile hot spots include McDonalds, Starbucks, many hotels, airports, etc...
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 07:06 AM

Just noticed that you are based in Europe. I'm not sure if pre-paid cards are offered there.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 07:28 AM

Which country? T-Online has quite a few hot-spots in Germany, but roaming with a German contract in other european places is ridiculously expensive. MCD have T-Online access. Locals have a plan that includes T-Online hot-spots. You could get a cheap T-online plan for Germany too.

A good (the best?) option is to either use the free hot-spots (Subway sandwiches and many others) or any open network every few meters in the cities or:

use a mobile phone connection (prepaid 24ct/mb in Germany) and available almost everywhere.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

I live in the US, most frequent travel is to Netherlands and France, with Italy, Switzerland, Germany and Belgium to break it up from time to time.

Those T-Mobile plans are expensive for international roaming - %19.99/month + the per-minute charge. The 60-minute card AAFF mentioned is for domestic use only...

I guess I'll just pay the hotel or take the laptop out on occasion for a free hotspot. 8€/hour is about $0.20/minute, so I guess that isn't so bad.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 08:18 AM

Yes, any internet cafe beats T-Online.

If it's multi country your plan sounds o.k. I prefer using a phone plus local SIM to connect via bluetooth to the PC. I just works anywhere when there's no free alternative.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 08:21 AM

There are country-specific plans that work out quite resonable if you are staying there long enough (say a month). In Spain, for example, Vodafone sells a USB dongle that connects to the internet using 3G cellphone links. It costs about 89 euro which gives you about 24 hours online, and you can then top up credit.
But if you want to use in several countries, you will either be charged expensive roaming rates outside the country of origin, or it can't be used at all.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 08:46 AM

I posted a question recently about http://www.fon.com/en/ - check it out, may be an alternative for you.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 09:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Paris has free municipal wifi in all public areas (parks, libraries, main squares, etc). Most big cafés also offer free wifi now -- and then of course there are all of the McDonald's, Quick and Starbucks...
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 10:01 AM

kerouac, that is great news. Is there a site that lists hotspots and provides info on connecting?
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

I looked at the Fon site again... I think it might be what I'm looking for. If I can get in range of a Fon hotspot, I click to open their page and then I register. After that, I can buy access called a daypass in 24-hr blocks for 3 euro. I think it's a continuous 24-hour period, but still a great deal. The payment process is managed through PayPal, and you also locate your paid-for passes that way (in case you have bought multiple passes). You are basically accessing the nearest Fon hotspot, all of which are shared by members. You don't have to be a member (that is, share your own internet service) if you don't want to. I don't know what the risk is - I don't do banking or anything like that on the laptop, and I've got Norton antivirus. Any thoughts there?

At any rate, I'm going to give it a try in San Antonio this month and/or Amsterdam next month. Thank you for raising the Fon site again.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 06:10 PM

Travelnut - when will you be in San Antonio?