Travel to Italy, September 2013

Old Feb 16th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel to Italy, September 2013

My Mom and I are taking a trip to Italy in the fall. This is my first time to Italy, and I need some advice. We are thinking Cinque Terre, Tuscany, Orvieto and possibly the Almalfi Coast. We are planning on a 10-12 day trip. Would anyone be able to provide suggestions on where to fly in/out of, where to stay and what trains/transportation to use? I would appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you!
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 09:53 AM

Sorry - but you have too many places for so few days. And how many days do you really have on the ground - not counting the day you arrive and the day you depart.

IMHO CT is really just for hiking and Amalfi Coast is a beach resort that is heading into off season. If you are going to visit Pompeii and other historic sights - that's fine - but don;t go for the beach.

I would pick 2 or at most 3 hotels - and see what you can from there. This is one of those times when less is more.
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Lake Como, Cinque Terre, Tuscany, Orvieto, Almalfi Coast. What would be your top 3 choices? How long would you recommend staying in each place? Any another destinations in Italy you would recommend besides those listed? We could also extend our stay to 14 days. Thank you!
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 11:16 AM

Make that decision first--is it 10, 12, or 14 nights to sleep in Italy---not travel days. That will determine what you can do. I would not include both the AC and CT.
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 11:25 AM

You'd better arrive in Milan and do Lake Como and take a train from Milano Centrale to Genova/Vernazza/La Spezia for Cinque Terre and from CT to Firenze S.M.Novella for Tuscany and Firenze S.M. novella to Orvieto and from Orvieto to Napoli Centrale via Roma Termini and fly out of Milan.
My top 3 choices would be Cinque Terre,Tuscany and Amalfi Coast.
Have a nice time in Italy
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 11:49 AM

Tuscany is a large area where you could easily spend the entire time. Where you fly into and home from depends on your itinerary. You can fly into Genoa or Milan and then home from Rome if you visit Cinque Terre, Tuscany, and Orvieto. My choice would be cities that offer good airfares from your origin, unless money is no object.

I would omit the Amalfi Coast as it's out of the way and you do not have enough time.

You'll need a car since it takes a lot of time to visit small Tuscan towns via public transportation, especially if you want to go to more than one town in a day.

Firm up your itinerary and come back and ask specific questions.
Old Feb 24th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your advice! We have decided to fly into Milan. We will be visiting Cinque Terre, then travel via train to Orvieto, ending our trip in Venice. Do you have any recommendations on where to stay (hotels or B&B's) in those areas?

I appreciate your help!
Old Feb 24th, 2013, 12:03 PM

Why Orvieto---there are better options much easier to access on your routing. Orvieto is not on the main train line.
Old Feb 24th, 2013, 01:03 PM

Re; hotels, what is your budget per night? And do you want a twin room (2 beds)?
Old Feb 24th, 2013, 01:22 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>fly into Milan. We will be visiting Cinque Terre, then travel via train to Orvieto, ending our trip in Venice</i>"

I'd reverse your route (after fiddling/fixing a few details). If as I assume, you are from the US, you don't want to fly home from Venice. US-bound flights leave VERY early in the morning. It would be a lot easier if you flew IN to Venice and home from one of the other airports.